sakinshr
03-09-2008, 12:23 AM
plz help me how do i setup Setup A Catch-All Email for my account sakinshr

Basil
03-09-2008, 12:27 AM
You can't.

felgall
03-09-2008, 12:54 AM
BlueHost disabled all catch-all email setups about 12 months ago because they attract too much spam. By setting up redirects for just those addresses that you actually want to use instead of catching all the spam for the domain you instantly get rid of 99.99999% of the spam sent to the domain in return for the small amount of extra work required to set up the several dozen redirects at most for the actual addresses that you actually are using.

JimQuintuum
04-09-2008, 11:37 PM
I have about 150 different email accounts, if that is the case. I use the catch-all as a repository for all accounts, and my local email server downloads all the emails in the catch-all account to process locally. From there, I dole out the emails to each local account.

So basically I don't need individual email accounts; I just need a catch-all so I can have my pop3 retrieval system grab everything from there.

Unfortunately, not having a catch-all that's in my control is a dealbreaker. Does anyone know if they will bring it back? I'm not concerned about spam - my frequent downloads of the catch-all account will take care of that, since I use my own antispam system here. I just don't expect my customers to have to worry about administering accounts on the hosting level if they're used to a local mail server.

Yes, I know I could set up an MX record to point to my own mail server, through port forwarding on our firewall. But we have a dynamic IP and it just plain ole makes sense (reliability-wise) to do it this way.

Any thoughts? Perhaps if a customer paid slightly more per month, then they would allow the catch-all.

-James

felgall
04-10-2008, 01:35 AM
BlueHost do not allow catchall-spam email accounts to be set up. There is enough load on the system from the spam that goes to accounts that actually exist without adding the many hundred times more spam that goes to non-existant addresses that only a catch-all would catch. The additional load on the servers of all that spam would be enormous which is why they decided not to allow it.

Instead you can set up one email account and forwarders from all the other addresses you want to catch emails from. That way you can drop the forwarder when it becomes overwhelmed with spam.

crashutah
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I just redirect my email to a free google apps email where I can do all the catch all email address I want. Plus, I love google's spam filter. Plus, pop and imap, etc etc etc.

felgall
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
As long as the redirect is done properly by changing the MX record (which would be the only way to redirect all the mail for a domain) thenthat is reducing the spam on BlueHost rather than increasing it (as allowing catch-all addresses on BlueHost would do). It doesn't really matter to BlueHost or the people with sites hosted on BlueHost if you want to swamp a server elsewhere with spam as long as it doesn't impact on BlueHost.

Redirecting mail using email forwarders would impact on BlueHost as BlueHost would be misidentified as the source of all the forwarded spam.

carolina73
12-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Cpanel instructions should be updated to remove the "catch all" documentation. My first day using bluehost and I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out what type of dummy I was, that I couldn't follow the instructions on setting up a catch all account.

I hate spam, but I really hate losing an order because my customer hits one incorrect key, especially when you will see how many spelling errors I make myself.

But, I certainly understand bluehosts reasons for removing this option and the forum search quickly provided an answer.

Early Out
12-02-2008, 09:24 AM
I'd never stumbled across that before. Of course, it's the general cPanel documentation - someone at BH forgot to edit that chunk for this specific host.

I'll let someone at BH know!

Early Out
12-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I put in a ticket about this misleading documentation with BH. This is the reply I got:

That is not on our site so we can't remove it. It is a feature that cPanel offers but we chose to remove the option because it caused performance issues on our servers. So this is a non issue. as such I'm closing this ticket as resolved.

Thanks,

Joe
Technical Support Engineer
:rolleyes:

I replied that it was certainly a "non-issue," as long as you're not a customer who follows the link, gets the wrong information, then struggles to figure out how to make it work.

alligosh
12-03-2008, 06:53 AM
This is being addressed. Most likely the old link to cpanel for their somewhat outdated and fairly terrible documentation will be removed in favor of the tutorials site.

fred.philpott
12-03-2008, 10:44 PM
When I transferred my domains to Bluehost about three years back I set up a catch all account. I received 1600 spams in two hours. That's probably higher than most people will get because my company domain has been around for many years and must be on every spammer's hit list by now.

I don't want to lose business any more than the next guy but the catch all is really a liability. Needless to say I disabled it immediately and never tried it again.

If you are prepared to sort through that kind of barrage you have more patience than I have.

In the early days of the Internet before these bas-*+!?~rds were around it was useful. Today, in my experience, the majority of Internet users understand that when they get a mailer error message they have done something wrong and will try again.

Best of luck
Fred

Mikexx
12-18-2008, 07:40 PM
BlueHost do not allow catchall-spam email accounts to be set up. There is enough load on the system from the spam that goes to accounts that actually exist without adding the many hundred times more spam that goes to non-existant addresses that only a catch-all would catch. The additional load on the servers of all that spam would be enormous which is why they decided not to allow it.

Instead you can set up one email account and forwarders from all the other addresses you want to catch emails from. That way you can drop the forwarder when it becomes overwhelmed with spam.

I can't believe I have just signed up and *paid* to an "unlimited" hosting company which doesn't allow for catch-all emails. I do all my very efficient filtering myself and really don't want all the hassle of setting this all up again. I use different email addresses to make sure I know where spam comes from.

In my case I'm happy to delete known spam "to" addresses. Is there any way this decision could be reversed?

Early Out
12-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Given that the mountains of spam were bringing the BH mail servers to their knees, I would say that there's absolutely no chance that catch-all emails will ever be allowed again.

But from your post, I don't quite understand why you would need a catch-all email. It sounds like you just need to be able to set up a collection of POP email addresses for different purposes, which you can certainly do. You can forward all of them to one account, if you like.

felgall
12-18-2008, 11:28 PM
The problem with a catch all email account is that it means that each BlueHost server would receive trillions of extra emails which would require at least an extra 10 servers for each server they currently have probably a lot more. Presumably they could turn on catch all emails with a corresponding price increase to $80 per month but I think most users would prefer that it stay off and the price stay the same as it is now.

Mikexx
12-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Given that the mountains of spam were bringing the BH mail servers to their knees, I would say that there's absolutely no chance that catch-all emails will ever be allowed again.

But from your post, I don't quite understand why you would need a catch-all email. It sounds like you just need to be able to set up a collection of POP email addresses for different purposes, which you can certainly do. You can forward all of them to one account, if you like.

Because the alternative is setting up 50 or more pop3 account in Outlook. Currently I have an address book with all the good "to" addresses in and a single pop3 account.

I still can't believe I can't have a catch-all account. I know precisely which addresses collect all the spam and they are deleted straight away.

How do I get myself out of this mess?

Early Out
12-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Your only other choice is to set up those 50 POP accounts on BH, and set them up to forward to a single POP account that you then fetch with Outlook. Probably take less than an hour to set it up.

Again, however, I'm puzzled by something you're saying. You say that if an address catches a load of spam, you "delete it." Delete it from where? If you have a catch-all address set up, that spam is still being processed by the mail server, instead of being dumped (or bounced), and is being delivered to the catch-all address. It's only your own email client that's deleting those messages, and that doesn't do anything for the mail server at all.

Mikexx
12-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Your only other choice is to set up those 50 POP accounts on BH, and set them up to forward to a single POP account that you then fetch with Outlook. Probably take less than an hour to set it up.

Again, however, I'm puzzled by something you're saying. You say that if an address catches a load of spam, you "delete it." Delete it from where? If you have a catch-all address set up, that spam is still being processed by the mail server, instead of being dumped (or bounced), and is being delivered to the catch-all address. It's only your own email client that's deleting those messages, and that doesn't do anything for the mail server at all.

I have considerably more good "to" addresses than bad "to" addresses. Is it not possible to direct the bad "to" addresses to a black-hole or can't I do that on Bluehost?

Currently you are right, the bad "to" addresses are deleted when downloaded once they are downloaded by outlook.

Scott Bull
12-19-2008, 10:31 AM
I know I'm new here, and have yet to decide whether I'll be signing up to BlueHost or not, (hopefully, I will be), but I'm glad you responded to the ticket on our behalf.

For non-customers such as myself, and especially those of us thinking of signing up with BlueHost; accurate information is very important, which is where the Live Demo and Live Help amazed me, and how detailed the information was.

Even though I'm not overly sure on what exactly a "catch-all email address" is, or whether I'd ever have use for one, I'd like to offer my thanks for representing us for an even better quality of service, (thank you Early Out, and everyone else involved).

Early Out
12-19-2008, 10:39 AM
I think we're going in circles here. Let's start by defining a catch-all email address. Say your domain is example.com. You would set up a single POP email address, say, primary@example.com. If there were a catch-all feature, then messages addressed to anything@example.com would land in the primary@example.com account. So, a message addressed to john@example.com or dick@example.com or harry@example.com would go to primary@example.com.

This is the setup that BH does not offer. If you don't create a POP account for john@example.com, messages sent to that address get bounced.

What you're asking for is not a catch-all capability, at least not as it's usually understood. You seem to want to be able to receive messages sent to anything@example.com, but with the ability to blacklist certain addresses. I've never seen a setup like that anywhere.

It appears that you're currently achieving that effect by using a standard catch-all account, but then using Outlook to filter out the "bad" addresses. You're not going to be able to do that on BH. Your only option is as I've described it above - create POP accounts for each of the "good" addresses, and then set up each of them to forward to your primary@example.com (so that you only have to set up one account in Outlook to fetch all the messages).

felgall
12-19-2008, 11:36 AM
You only need one email account set up to do what you want.

You then set up forwarders for all the addresses that you WANT to receive emails INTO to forward those emails to the one email account.

There is only the one email account and so there is nothing complex to set up in Outlook and nothing complex if you want to access your emails via webmail.

The only setup you need is to set up all the email addresses you want to whitelist as forwarders to the one email account that exists.

Since there are always far fewer addresses you want whitelisted than blacklisted doing it the other way around would be silly since it would take you a billion years just to set up the blacklist for the addresses starting with 'a'.

Mikexx
12-19-2008, 01:34 PM
You only need one email account set up to do what you want.

You then set up forwarders for all the addresses that you WANT to receive emails from to forward those emails to the one email account.

There is only the one email account and so there is nothing complex to set up in Outlook and nothing complex if you want to access your emails via webmail.

The only setup you need is to set up all the email addresses you want to whitelist as forwarders to the one email account that exists.

Since there are always far fewer addresses you want whitelisted than blacklisted doing it the other way around would be silly since it would take you a billion years just to set up the blacklist for the addresses starting with 'a'.

I'm sorry but you are entirely wrong. I have white list "to" addresses and blacklisted "to" addresses. No "from" addresses ever need to be blacklisted. I have 4 blacklisted "to" addresses and infinitely more whitelisted "to" addresses.

Very few of the sites I have subscribed to have given away or sold the email address I have given then. But I get countless emails for the ones that have.

So blacklisting "to" addresses is far easier than creating any whitelist. It also allows mistakes and new email addresses through without any grief of additional setting up.

I'm sorry if you don't understand the way this works, but it is the most effective method of eliminating spam I've ever come across.

Early Out
12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
BH does not offer any way of whitelisting or blacklisting "to" addresses. The only option is the one I've described, which consists of establishing POP accounts for each address you wish to receive email. If this capability is critical to you, you need to cancel your BH account, get your money back, and find another host. Sorry, but there's no "magic" answer.

felgall
12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm sorry but you are entirely wrong. I have white list "to" addresses and blacklisted "to" addresses. No "from" addresses ever need to be blacklisted. I have 4 blacklisted "to" addresses and infinitely more whitelisted "to" addresses.

Sorry, one word typo in what I wrote. The email forwarders you set up are the ones you want to be able to receive emails into. If you only have 4 to addresses to blacklist then there are billions on your whitelist including

a@example.com
aa@example.com
aaa@example.com
aaaa@example.com
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa@ example.com

etc with there being hundreds of them before you even start including anything other than 'a' before the @.

Why you want to receive all the emails that spammers send to all those billions of meaningless addresses is something I don't understand. I am just happy that BlueHost don't allow people to clog their the servers with all those meaningless spam emails.

With only a few dozen email addresses to whitelist (for those of us who don't want to receive emails sent to all those billions of meaningless addresses) it is easy to set up a forwarder for each whitelisted address that forwards to the one email account that actually exists so that you receive the emails sent to them and can delete the forwarder if it becomes necessary to blacklist an address.

Since you have billions of addresses you want to whitelist you will need dedicated hosting to handle the volume of spam emails that all those meaningless email addresses such as vbgtrngbnjnvcngnljljvcdnf.ndf.n@example.com will receive. With dedicated hosting you will be able to set up a catchall address to catch all the emails sent to all those email addresses without any problem.

On shared hosting it is best if you don't try to whitelist more than a few hundred out of the billions of possible email addresses since the volume of spam emails to each address while small adds up to a huge amount when you have too many addresses. Which is why catchall email addresses that will catch emails addressed to any of the billions of possible addresses on the domain are not allowed on shared hosting where there is more than one domain on the server.

Actually where I have said billions the true number is so much higher that a billion addresses is effectively zero compared to the real number of addresses since there are approximately 30000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000 email addresses possible for each domain (that's 122 zeros following the 3)

I agree that setting up a whitelist of 3x10^122 email addresses would take too many billions of years to consider as a practical alternative but most people would normally only want to whitelist a few million of those at most and would want the others blacklisted so the number on any sensible blacklist is still so close to 100% as to be indistinguishable from it. I really can't believe that you really want all but 4 of those possible addresses on your whitelist.

Mikexx
12-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Sorry, one word typo in what I wrote. The email forwarders you set up are the ones you want to be able to receive emails into. If you only have 4 to addresses to blacklist then there are billions on your whitelist including

a@example.com
aa@example.com
aaa@example.com
aaaa@example.com
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa@ example.com

etc with there being hundreds of them before you even start including anything other than 'a' before the @.

Why you want to receive all the emails that spammers send to all those billions of meaningless addresses is something I don't understand. I am just happy that BlueHost don't allow people to clog their the servers with all those meaningless spam emails.

With only a few dozen email addresses to whitelist (for those of us who don't want to receive emails sent to all those billions of meaningless addresses) it is easy to set up a forwarder for each whitelisted address that forwards to the one email account that actually exists so that you receive the emails sent to them and can delete the forwarder if it becomes necessary to blacklist an address.

Since you have billions of addresses you want to whitelist you will need dedicated hosting to handle the volume of spam emails that all those meaningless email addresses such as vbgtrngbnjnvcngnljljvcdnf.ndf.n@example.com will receive. With dedicated hosting you will be able to set up a catchall address to catch all the emails sent to all those email addresses without any problem.

On shared hosting it is best if you don't try to whitelist more than a few hundred out of the billions of possible email addresses since the volume of spam emails to each address while small adds up to a huge amount when you have too many addresses. Which is why catchall email addresses that will catch emails addressed to any of the billions of possible addresses on the domain are not allowed on shared hosting where there is more than one domain on the server.

Actually where I have said billions the true number is so much higher that a billion addresses is effectively zero compared to the real number of addresses since there are approximately 30000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000 email addresses possible for each domain (that's 122 zeros following the 3)

I agree that setting up a whitelist of 3x10^122 email addresses would take too many billions of years to consider as a practical alternative but most people would normally only want to whitelist a few million of those at most and would want the others blacklisted so the number on any sensible blacklist is still so close to 100% as to be indistinguishable from it. I really can't believe that you really want all but 4 of those possible addresses on your whitelist.

I suppose that's the rub. I can eliminate the lion share of spam with 4 blacklisted addresses. I didn't really need nor want a whilelist as such, just to let all the other emails through. It's a shame really otherwise I would have used your server. I've found an alternative one which does allow catch-all emails. I accept what you say may be right and in future may well change the way I do things but at the moment a catch-all facility will cause less short term grief.

You mentioned a refund and would be grateful if you could say who should I contact in respect of this.

Many thanks for your frank discussions.

Early Out
12-21-2008, 01:58 PM
The moderators here are not BH employees - this is not a BH support site. So, when you refer to "your server," you're talking to someone who isn't taking part in this discussion. If you want to cancel your BH account, you need to contact BH (the sales department, rather than the tech support side). Wait for normal business hours in Utah.

fireonline
01-22-2009, 08:29 AM

Sorry to be a pain but I want to get this right, can you tell me exactly how to set up one email account and forwarders from all the other addresses I want to catch emails from??

Roger Garstang
02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
I hate posting to this since it seems mostly negative about not being able to do it, but I just came from GoDaddy to here and expected to see this because the Demo CPanel still shows a Default Address option. Not too big of a deal since I know all the accounts and can just make multiple forwards, but was confusing to see the option not there. I love the option to tour the CPanel too although it could be more functional.

So far it has been very quick to setup stuff here. I was amazed to actually get a call while typing on the transfer page confirming everything and validating the transfer right there on the spot. I was very impressed by the CEO's Blog too...Godaddy's CEO spends too much time trying to see how few clothes he can get away with girls wearing and making fake banned commercials to not have to pay $50 million for a commercial spot. BH accounts have all the needed items where others try to get you on the addon wagon.

netesq
04-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Like many of the other people who have posted to this thread, I was disappointed by the lack of a catchall e-mail feature at BlueHost, but even more disappointed by the fact that I did not discover this fatal flaw until *AFTER* I prepaid three years of hosting fees. Having migrated a blog from Blogger deprecated FTP service to Blue Host's WordPress, a refund is no solution whatsoever, as I cannot return to the status quo ante at Blogger.

Even though there are plenty of other hosting services that provide catchall e-mail accounts, I get that BlueHost has all sorts of good reasons for discontinuing and/or no longer offering said accounts, but I'm still looking through these forums for a reason why they don't provide notice of this fatal flaw to prospective customers and/or offer detailed instructions on alternatives to BlueHost e-mail accounts such as changing a domain's MX record. I was particularly unimpressed by technical support's position, referenced earlier in this thread, that the outdated documentation that was once on the cPanel was a non-issue.

BTW, having already changed my directNIC DNS to BlueHost's servers for two of my domains, I am no longer able use directNIC's e-mail hosting service for those domains. Truth be told, there is only one domain for which I need catchall hosting, and the solution should be a simple one. To wit, point me to a free/low cost e-mail hosting service that I can use in conjunction with BlueHost, and provide me with clear instructions on how to change my domain's MX record to point to that domain. Does anyone have any recommendations?

farcaster
04-29-2010, 05:20 PM
MX Entries can be changed in the cPanel under the Mail section.

Free mail services that works? Google Mail. Been using it for years.

netesq
04-29-2010, 06:46 PM
MX Entries can be changed in the cPanel under the Mail section.

Free mail services that works? Google Mail. Been using it for years.

Thank you for very much for your reply.

I'd already sussed out where to access the MX records from BlueHost's cPanel, and I'd already investigated Google's mail servers, which no longer appear to be a free service. Unlike a personal GMail account, Google's mail servers are now part of Google Business Apps, which cost $50.00 per year. See http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/features.html That may be where I end up going, but I'd like to find out if I can find a free service first.

farcaster
04-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Google Mail/Docs also provides a free service. What you are referring to is the Enterprise package.

netesq
04-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Google Mail/Docs also provides a free service. What you are referring to is the Enterprise package.

Sort of. It took me hours of Google searches until I stumbled upon a forum discussion where someone posted a URL for the "Standard" Google Apps package in response to a question just like mine, noting that most URLs that used to link to the free version of Google Apps now redirect to the paid version of Google Apps. (As far as I can tell there is no difference between the two other than the price.) This link used to be much more prominent on my personal GMail account; it is now very well hidden, and the free version of Google Apps is probably not going to be around for very much longer unless you are grandfathered into a contract. (I checked; I am.) As such, this problem is now resolved for me, but I have no doubt that there will be much gnashing of teeth by other people who sign up for BlueHost in the future and search in vain for documentation regarding non-existent catchall e-mail accounts, eventually making their way to this thread on this forum.

It still astonishes me that BlueHost offers all sorts of useful features that I don't want or need for free through its various partners, but does not offer or support something as basic as a catchall e-mail account. They were pretty clear about not offering catchall subdomains, which I would like to have but can live without. Being offered a refund in these circumstances is not unlike being offered a refund after flowers were not delivered in time for a wedding.

Having owned the same domain for over a decade, I became quite accustomed to giving out different e-mail addresses on a daily basis everytime one was solicited from me on- or offline, and there are now quite literally thousands of such e-mail addresses in existence that I have given out and forgotten. I couldn't set up POP accounts for all of these e-mail addresses if I tried. And the idea of setting up a POP account every time I want to give out a new e-mail address makes no sense whatsoever; on those rare occasions where one of my e-mail addresses starts getting spammed, I set up a filter for that one address.

Anyway, thanks to those who replied to my post. I'll turn off the rant now.

EricJ
04-30-2010, 11:43 AM
The Google Apps standard link is http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

If that doesn't work, all you need to do is go to http://google.com/a/ and click on 'Standard Edition' (bottom left hand side of the page). It only took me about 1 minute to find it my first time. There are differences between Premier and Standard.

jeanlee411
04-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Cpanel instructions should be updated to remove the "catch all" documentation. My first day using bluehost and I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out what type of dummy I was, that I couldn't follow the instructions on setting up a catch all account.

I hate spam, but I really hate losing an order because my customer hits one incorrect key, especially when you will see how many spelling errors I make myself.

But, I certainly understand bluehosts reasons for removing this option and the forum search quickly provided an answer.
I'd never stumbled across that before. Of course, it's the general cPanel documentation - someone at BH forgot to edit that chunk for this specific host.

I'll let someone at BH know!

felgall
04-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Of course, it's the general cPanel documentation - someone at BH forgot to edit that chunk for this specific host.

They probably did update that when they removed the catchall option to cut down on all the spam that was overloading the servers but there have been cPanel upgrades since then that probably put it back.

netesq
04-30-2010, 10:48 PM
The Google Apps standard link is http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

If that doesn't work, all you need to do is go to http://google.com/a/ and click on 'Standard Edition' (bottom left hand side of the page). It only took me about 1 minute to find it my first time. There are differences between Premier and Standard.

As the free version seems to be slated for deprecation, I was reluctant to post a link. On this note, the link to the Standard Edition says nothing about the Standard Edition being the free version, nor is Google obliged to continue offering the apparently deprecated free version to anyone other than those who have been grandfathered in. Rather, Johnny-come-latelys can expect to pay as much as $50.00 per year for Google Apps.

farcaster
04-30-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure where you are seeing that the Standard version is becoming deprecated. If you go to that first link you posted, click on the blue Get Started button in the top right of the page.

At that point you can enter the domain name that you own and continue through the process. There will be some steps that you have to take on your web site to validate the ownership, but the process is not that hard.

There are quite a few links on that first page that try to get you to the Premium / Business class signup, but that's all part of Google's marketing.

Warning: If you decide to go with the Standard (or even the Premium) Edition, be aware of the sending limits. They are much stricter than those imposed by Bluehost. Here's a page link (http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=166852) and it partially states...

Google has a number of sending limits in place to prevent abuse of our system, and to help fight spam. If one of your mail accounts reaches an abuse limit, the account will be temporarily unable to send mail.
Each Standard Edition account can currently send to 500 external recipients per day. Premier and Education Edition users can send to 2000 external recipients per day. The email addresses can be distributed among the To:, Cc:, and Bcc: fields. Administrators can contact all user accounts within the domain by adding everyone in the domain to an email list.

Here are a few additional tips:

Create multiple user accounts to send mail. For example, 'Admin1' and 'Admin2' can each send 500 messages to reach 1000 unique recipients. (On the Premier or Education Edition, two accounts can reach 4000 recipients.)
Stagger mass communications over the course of two days. For example, send messages to the allotted number of recipients on day one, wait for 24 hours, and send messages to another group of recipients on day two.
In all editions of Google Apps, an individual message can be sent to a maximum of 500 external recipients at one time.

Read the linked page for the rest of the story.

netesq
05-03-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure where you are seeing that the Standard version is becoming deprecated.

The fact that there is no longer a link to the free version of Google Apps on my personal GMail account leads me to believe that said free version is slated for deprecation. This is a very effective and not uncommon tactic in marketing services: Give something away until it becomes popular, then start charging the Johnny-come-latelys.

Also, when I read through the contract that grandfathered me in to the free version of Google Apps, I noticed that Google specifically reserved the right to create a paid version and eliminate the free version for Johnny-come-latelys. (Reading through contracts; something I picked up in law school.) Since Google has created the paid version, it stands to reason that they are waiting for the right time to eliminate new signups for the free version. That time may never come, but then again it could happen tomorrow.

As for the limits Google imposes on e-mail volume, I'm totally okay with that. I was just happy to find a free e-mail host that allowed me to continue using the catchall e-mail solution that I have been using since the earth first cooled. Now I can continue giving out new and unique e-mail addresses for *@mydomain.com every time someone asks me for one.

I might add, I'm quite happy to use BlueHost's e-mail hosting on those domains for which I have not given out thousands of unique e-mail addresses over the years, but (as I stated above) I would have liked to have known about this limitation before I signed up. On this note, if and when I do recommend BlueHost to any more of my clients, as I just did for one who was looking for a WordPress host, I will be very clear in pointing out BlueHost's lack of support for catchall e-mail accounts.

felgall
05-03-2010, 02:16 AM
I will be very clear in pointing out BlueHost's lack of support for catchall e-mail accounts.

Be sure and tell them how many hundreds of spam emails less each day that they will get as a result from all the spammers who try any name on the front of the domain for the email address just in case there is a catch-all account that they can inundate with spam.

A more effective solution for giving out separate email addresses for individual uses is to set them all up as forwarders to the one account. It is more work in the first place but if any of them start spamming you then you can delete that forwarder without it affecting any of the others. With a catch-all you have no way of blocking addresses that send nothing but spam.

That's the reason why many hosting providers dropped catch-all emails. I'm surprised that GMail hasn't dropped it yet given the volume of additional spam it generates. Perhaps they too will decide to drop catch-all soon so as to get rid of 90% of the spam that currently hits their servers. Maybe tomorrow along with dropping free accounts.

chill
05-15-2010, 01:26 AM
I have an issue with this is well and don't know what I can do to work around it. I have a followup autoresponder script that needs to use a catch all account. I need to pipe the catch all account to a program. Any ideas that would allow me to still keep my account with Bluehost? I just don't understand why things are different at Bluehost, many hosts allow this and they seem to manage just fine.

felgall
05-15-2010, 03:44 AM
I have an issue with this is well and don't know what I can do to work around it. I have a followup autoresponder script that needs to use a catch all account. I need to pipe the catch all account to a program. Any ideas that would allow me to still keep my account with Bluehost? I just don't understand why things are different at Bluehost, many hosts allow this and they seem to manage just fine.

Not all web hosts have such a big client base. When you have 1000 clients each of whom gets 1,000,000 spam emails land in their catchall account each week it might be manageable but when there are millions of clients that is trillions of spam emails per week to overflow the system.

If BlueHost did allow you to set up a catchall email account the spammers would have overflowed your 50,000 file limit and got your site shut down within a day or two so it wouldn't be worth the effort in setting it up even if they did allow it.

netesq
05-15-2010, 06:37 AM

Before coming to these forums, I used the BlueHost help chat to ask about catchall e-mail accounts, and I was told in no uncertain terms that if I wanted a catchall account for one of my domains, I had to use a mailserver other than BlueHost. Interestingly enough, the person on the BlueHost chat line suggested Google e-mail as an alternative solution; once I found the free version of Google Apps, it worked out quite well for me on the one site where I needed it.

felgall
05-15-2010, 02:40 PM
An alternative name for a catchall email account is a spam honeypot. The antispam service providers use them to collect and analyse spam. Since they catch all the amails sent to a domain they fet thousands of times as many spam emails as a regular email account would.

Roger Garstang
06-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Wow, haven't been here for a while, seemed pretty dead when I originally posted. When I first configured everything for my account I thought for some reason that I had to create an account otherwise forwards and such wouldn't work. Then made redirects for them so I never had to check the accounts since it redirected and never went to the account. Then when adding new domains I started to watch file counts and most of my counts were files from the emails. Even though 0 bytes they still counted and were at least 3-4 files per email account minimum. Deleted all those and made Forwards now. Got another account for work where we made Domain Forwards too which work pretty slick. The Forwards seem faster than the redirects too, and I don't see a count for them, so I'm guessing those are unlimited. Gotta wait till Sunday to see how the file counts drop.