PDA

View Full Version : need help link issue

asterix040173
06-11-2008, 04:48 AM
hi , i`m trying to find the url of my pages to link them together , but i have no idea where to find them... i thought i did, but its not working.. i took the one in legacy file manager and put the url in each page for each page. but its not working.. anyone could tell me what i`m doing wrong...
thanks .and if you know please be not to tecnical as i`m not a webmaster!!!!!!

thanks a lot

Early Out
06-11-2008, 04:55 AM
I'm guessing that you're getting confused by the public_html directory. Everything you want to be visible to the outside world needs to be in that directory, but the "public_html" is not part of the URL.

So, if you have "something.html" in your public_html directory, the URL for that file is www.example.com/something.html (where example.com is your domain). If you have "something.html" in a subdirectory called "whatever," under public_html, then the URL to that file is www.example.com/whatever/something.html.

Whenever possible, you should stick to using relative addresses, anyway. So, if you have an index.html page at the top level, in public_html, and it needs to call the something.html file in the whatever subdirectory, the call would be just:

<a href="whatever/something.html">Click here for the something page</a>
That says, "starting from where you are now, look for a subdirectory called whatever, and cough up the something.html file."

asterix040173
06-11-2008, 05:19 AM
here is one example of one of my page:
http://www.kidstory4you.com/Chapter%2010%20of%20The%20wonderfull%20Adventure%2 0of%20Nils%20Holgersson.html
and it should open the page , but it bring to a page where its called untitle.

and all my page are like that... but if you go to my home page it work... :http://www.kidstory4you.com

i just dont get it... and if you go there you`ll see i put the link for every chapter(wich is a differente page) but i get nothing when i click on the chapter link...

anyway thanks for your answer... hope you `ll give me more clue...:)

Early Out
06-11-2008, 05:29 AM
I think your first step should be to simplify your file names, which will make things much, much simpler. For example, for the Nils Holgersson story, give each of the chapter pages simple names, like nhchapter1.html, nhchapter2.html, and so on. Don't use any special characters, accented characters, or spaces.

Then put in relative links. Since everything is at the same level, the links can be very simple:

<a href="nhchapter4.html">Chapter 4</a>

asterix040173
06-11-2008, 06:11 AM
but could you tell me why the link bring to a untitle page
.. even on file legacy manager , when i cliked the first time to see the page it was ok... i could see the page ,but after if i clicke a second time it goes to untitle page..???? its wierd .... isnt it...

asterix040173
06-11-2008, 06:30 AM
its imbelievable... my page apear then it say that the url is not valid... 404 thing..blablablabla. i just dont get it... and i change the name of the file ... much simpler...

grgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrg

thanks a lot help me or i`m going to get mad :)i`m going for a cigarrete to relax..........:)

Eriksrocks
06-11-2008, 11:29 AM
LOL, what are you talking about? :confused:

It works just fine for me. Go to your main domain and then click on the links for the certain chapters, and it brings you to them just fine. :)

felgall
06-11-2008, 12:17 PM
It could be caused by having spaces in your file names. The filenames on the web are not supposed to have spaces in the names.

Early Out
06-11-2008, 12:47 PM
It could be caused by having spaces in your file names. The filenames on the web are not supposed to have spaces in the names.Hence, my advice to change everything to simple file names.

asterix040173
06-12-2008, 03:01 AM
bloddy hell , i know what happen.... i was using the beta softwar from zonealarm for internet protection and privacy.. it was blocking verything..... i uninstall it and its working fine...... grgrgrgrgrgrgrg what a wast of time.... but thanks for your reply......