PDA

View Full Version : How to upload a large database, of size >400MB

JM2008
12-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I have a database in MS Access and its size is about 400 MB. Here is what I want to do:

1) upload it to the host server in one piece. This is way above 2MB.

2) while uploading, convert it to Mysql. Based on my research, it appears DBSync can do this.

My questions are:

1) Can I upload this database without slicing it into numerous smaller tables? What program(s) do i need?

2) Any tools other than DBSync I should be using for this issue?

Thanks.

Early Out
12-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Any FTP client program (like FileZilla) can easily upload your file.

I don't know much about converting to MySQL, but I would think you'd want to do the conversion before uploading, rather than trying to do it on the server, where you face CPU quotas.

Edit: In fact, I just took a quick look at DBSync. It runs under Windows. You can't run it on the server at all. So, you need to convert your database, then upload it.

JM2008
12-04-2008, 09:32 PM
thanks EarlyOut.

three questions about your suggestion:

1) I am new to Mysql. I got the impression that you cannot upload a Mysql database to the server host; instead, you have to generate the database by using programs. Is it right?

2) If I use DBSync to convert the MS Access database to an Mysql one on my PC, will this Mysql database function effectively after uploading to the server host?

3) Is there a 2MB limt for an upload limit? if so, how to solve the limit problem.

Thanks a lot.

siguie
12-05-2008, 03:01 AM
3) Is there a 2MB limt for an upload limit? if so, how to solve the limit problem.

Yes but that's for webpage uploads and you can increase that size by altering the max file size setting in php.ini BUT I think there's an upper limit like 52Mb but I don't recall the exact number. Regardless file uploads this way start getting wonky around 20Mb so just use a nice FTP program and you can avoid the whole thang :)

markowe
12-05-2008, 04:15 AM
I began to look into this myself at one point in order to synchronise my shop database with an online shop we were going to do. It never materialised, so I don't know as much as I would like, but I do know that there is not much to be gained from uploading the Access file - for one thing, they are hideously bloated (have you done a Repair and Compress lately?) - the actual data could boil down to just a fraction of this 400mb, if you export the raw table data.

The other thing that isn't very clear is what you will do with the data online - presumably you have some online application that is using the raw database data. I don't know how much you know about it, I hope you are not expecting the application to just work online! (hey, I dunno, gotta ask!)

JM2008
12-05-2008, 10:40 PM
If I upload a Mysql database via FTP, what files under the Mysql\data\ should be uploaded? Because, I see files with extension .opt, .frm, .myd, .myi, and some without any extension at all. Anyone gives an idea?

To the last post, yes, I am looking to lower the size by restructing the original file. I will mostly use the database to function as a dictionary, no record operation will be allowed.