View Full Version : Cron Database Backup
07-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Does anyone know of any scripts which will make a backup of a mySQL database and then email the backup to a specified email address?
I've found a few solutions on the web, most of which use Mutt - which appears not to be installed on Bluehost.
07-21-2006, 08:40 AM
MySQL database backup
MySQL database backup is a database backup script written in PHP4.
Most people will used it to have a daily snapshot of the dynamic data
on their website. (e.g. content management systems, forums,
The script reads all tables in the MySQL databases you coose and
exports (dumps) them in SQL files.
The generated SQL files can be used to rebuild the tables on any
other MySQL database or server or on the same server in case of data-
Has been tested sucessfully on large databases with 1.5 mio records.
Some of the features include:
- Backup multiple databases and servers with different users and
- Backups can be scheduled using cron (on UNIX systems) or AT (on
- Create daily, weekly and monthly snpashots of your database.
- Keep the daily, weekly and monthly backups for a user-specified
- Archive and compress the SQL files (*.tar.gz).
- Creates a detailed report of everything that has been done.
- Reports can be mailed to you or any other user- specified email-
address, saved to disk or displayed in browser.
- Generated SQL files can be mailed to you or any other user-
- Generated SQL files can be uploaded by FTP to any user-specified
- Choose to create SQL files for each table or one for each database
- No system calls, everything in 100% pure PHP.
07-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Will give that one a try!
07-22-2006, 05:33 PM
I downloaded the backup script recommended above and installed it on my site. It seems to work well. I did modify my installation to use authenticated SMTP and to fix a couple of minor PHP warnings. I emailed the patch file to the author. If anyone wants the changes, I'll make them available. The changes are fairly simple - perhaps a dozen lines added or modified.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.