PDA

View Full Version : Setting up POP email on a Mac

mattr2
07-24-2006, 07:37 AM
I just switched over to using a Mac and cant get the email to send out. The setup is diiferent on the Mac interface (OS X).

Does anyone have any pointers on how to set up the outgoing mail settings?

I have seemed to have already tried all the SSL settings and authntication settings with no luck.

I dont know what I am missing.

Thanks

dvessel
07-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Did you setup an outgoing (smtp) account? All you need to do is use the same mail server as POP (which is incoming) with the same password/username.

You'll see it at the bottom of the "Account Information" tab.

And check these 2 articles:
http://helpdesk.bluehost.com/kb/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=170
http://helpdesk.bluehost.com/kb/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=161 <- basically telling you to change ports. Doesn't list Mail.app but it should be obvious.

thebeard
07-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Are you using the "Mail" program that came with the mac or another email package like Entourage or Outlook?

Forget using the "mail" program, it wants to alwya use the .mac defaults. I would suggest using MS, (and this is the only MS based software I recommend), Outlook or Entourage for mac. Under the Tool Menu>Accounts, the settings are universal for both xp and mac.

mattr2
07-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Yes, I am using the default mail app.

Getting used to Mac OSX from Windows is a pain. The settings in Mail are tricky but I eventually got it all set up after a lot of trial and error.

I dont like mac default email program becuase the email filters are very diffcult to set up and access which makes it difficult to manage mailboxes. In addition, the IMAP mailbox doesn't include the standard inbox.

Anyway, thanks for the help! I will try the other applications.

thebeard
07-25-2006, 10:11 AM
I've been running both platforms for many years. Prefer the mac as I do a great deal of design for print. I used the "Mail" program for about two weeks and gave up on it. You should be able to nab the Entourage from MS as a free download. It use to come bundled. I haven't bought a new mac in a few years though.

dvessel
07-25-2006, 12:33 PM
That's too bad. I've used everything you listed and think Mail.app is the best by a huge margin. Not sure what you mean by the program trying to use .mac setting. It's a simple drop down menu to select the type of connection.

I can understand it feeling odd when you come from the MS apps. (I know I did at first) But like anything else you get used to it and appreciate the little details. It feels extremely lightweight. Smartboxes are a great time saver, junkmail filtering works very well and integrates nicely with Spamassasin. It's very fast and very flexible.

mollita
01-20-2007, 10:53 PM
I completely agree with dvessel-- I have to use Entourage for work and used Eudora for years, and the mac mail program is wonderful. It's worth looking at the features. The rules and accounts are pretty easy to set up. Here's how I got outoing mail working:

1. Open Preferences from the Mail menu
2. Click Accounts
3. Select your bluehost mail account in Accounts pane
4. Click "Server Settings" button (Right below "Outgoing Mail Server" dropdown)
5. Change Server port to 26. Leave SSL UNchecked.
6. Choose Password for Authentication and enter your username@domain.com and password.

That worked for me. I hope it works for you.

PS: the outgoing mail server for pop was mail.domain.com (rather than smtp.domain.com)

breakingball
01-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks, mollita! Just what I was looking for.

Just to add that SSL can be used with Mail.app.

For outgoing mail, click on the Advanced tab in the Accounts pane of Mail preferences, enable SSL and use port 995 (which should be the default for a POP account).

For incoming mail, click on the Account Information tab, enable SSL and use port 465 (rather than port 25 or 26).

westfarmarts
03-15-2007, 06:29 PM
I just got a mac and tried setting up mac mail. A different account works fine but my bluehost account did not. I changed the smtp port; that fixed smtp so now I can send mail. But I cannot receive mail. When I send myself mail to my bluehost address and hit 'Get Mail' from mac Mail, nothing happens except a sad little beep.

Any ideas?

breakingball
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
In Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Advanced, you should have the top two checkboxes ('Enable this account' and 'Include when automatically checking for new mail') checked.

Port 995 should be open, and the 'Use SSL' checkbox should be checked.

In the Authentication drop-down menu, you should select 'Password.'

Under the Account Information tab, your Incoming Mail Server should be mail.yourdomain.com; your User Name should be your complete email address (e.g., westfarmarts@westfarmarts.com). Below these fields, your Password should be present as a series of bullet points. Make sure that your password is entered correctly, exactly as you entered it when you created the account in your cPanel.

Also, you might go into the Rules pane of Mail Preferences and create a rule such as "If . . . 'To' 'Contains' westfarmarts@westfarmarts.com Move Message to mailbox: westfarmarts@westfarmarts.com", this to make sure that the mail doesn't go into your Junk box.

westfarmarts
03-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks so much for your help - but it didn't work. I set up Thunderbird and the bluehost account works fine there, without using SSL and outlook on my pc works without using SSL, so I don't think that's the issue. I guess it works either way? So, still not sure what is wrong. I'm using Thunderbird for now, but would really like to resolve the problem.

Any thoughts on virtues of Thunderbird vs mac mail?

westfarmarts
03-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks so much for your help - but it didn't work. I set up Thunderbird and the bluehost account works fine there, without using SSL and outlook on my pc works without using SSL, so I don't think that's the issue. I guess it works either way? So, still not sure what is wrong. I'm using Thunderbird for now, but would really like to resolve the problem.

Any thoughts on virtues of Thunderbird vs mac mail?

breakingball
03-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry to say that I have no experience with Thunderbird, although I quite like Mac OS X's Mail.app and have successfully created nine separate email accounts across the four domains I have hosted here.

I might suggest that you look for help with your account setup issue in Apple's Discussions where there are a lot of users who will be able to help you get your accounts up and running.

If you are using Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger), then you should ask your question here: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=753

Good luck!