PDA

View Full Version : private directory

markdevoll
06-06-2009, 07:06 AM
when i log into ftp i see a private directory. what is this for and could i back up my computer there. can it be accessed by anyone on the internet? does anyone use it to back up there computer?

Early Out
06-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Under the BH terms of service, you may not use your hosting space to back up files from your PC. You may use the space only for hosting files that are actually used (linked to) by your website.

JamesYap
06-06-2009, 12:03 PM
If you don't want people to be able to access your files from the internet, you can create folder in your root/home directory (instead of public_html) directory. That is the directory you are shown after your login by FTP. But the downside is you can't download the files yourself either from the internet using HTTP. If you wan to access the files yourself via HTTP, you need to create password protected directories under CPANEL and you can put your files there. Only people who have the correct username and password can access that directories and view/download the contents in it. Cheers.

felgall
06-06-2009, 03:31 PM
If you don't want people to be able to access your files from the internet, you can create folder in your root/home directory (instead of public_html) directory.

And then once BlueHost find out they'll delete your account for breaching their terms of service.

The hosting space provided by BlueHost is only allowed to be used for web hosting. Any files outside of the public section of your site have to be related to the actual site itself.

There is zero bytes of the space that can be used for backing up your own computer. You need a different sort of account (not offered by BlueHost) for that.