PDA

View Full Version : accepted postini trial, now flooded with spam!

zoooid
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Hello,
I suppose we all got the mail by the bluehost CEO concerning the new postini filtering system trial. Well I accepted it and I am being flooded with spam like never before ever since, over 50 mails a day, sometimes way more.
There has to be some correlation, and I think it's pretty scandalous. Did anyone else experience this? Is there any reaction by bluehost?:mad:

Early Out
07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Interesting. You're the second person to report something like this (here (http://www.bluehostforums.com/showthread.php?t=17276)), and normally I'd regard it as just a coincidence. But seeing the same thing twice in two days begins to make me wonder what's going on. I still find it implausible that BH would be intentionally revealing email addresses to spammers, but this is pretty weird.

I don't have any sage words of advice, other than to contact BH about it.

zoooid
07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi,
I did not say it was in any way intentional, there might have been something simply gone wrong. But what I can say is that it's definitely clear that my spam mail has increased tenfold since the day I signed up with the postini trial.
I also think it's a bit easy to simply refer me to BH, since it was bluehost who solicited me about postini in the first place. I also get really tired of filling out registration and contact forms!
In any case, this seriously needs to be investigated, it's really infuriating.

Early Out
07-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Well, this is a user-to-user forum, so none of us can do any investigating, nor do we have any way of figuring out what's wrong.

When you need to contact BH, use Live Chat (big blue button on the main bluehost.com page), or phone them. No registering, no forms.

zoooid
07-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Ok sorry, I thought this was being officially moderated by someone from bluehost. I tried the live chat, the server seems down right now. I'll try later.

Early Out
07-08-2009, 01:22 PM
The forums are not an official BH support site. BH support techs sometimes visit the forums, but you can't count on it. The moderators are all just unpaid volunteer customers.

I'm really curious to find out what's happening here. But not curious enough to sign up for Postini myself! :D

zoooid
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
hehe:p

well I just talked to someone from BH and they do not seem to have a clue of what could be wrong . The guy was trying his best to help but it was really impossible to find any reason or source of may sudden spam increase, apart from me thinking that the activation of the trial has triggered it. I told him about the other post here, he siad they're gonna have a look. But by what the other guy in the post said, it doesn't look too good...I can understand he's angry.

felgall
07-09-2009, 07:25 PM
I haven't added postini to any email accounts recently and yet the last few days my email accounts have been flooded with loads of extra spam messages compared to previously (of course they still end up in my spam folder because my Thunderbird is properly trained to recognise spam).

I suspect that there is just a lot more spam around at the moment and that those who recently moved to Postini just had a timing coincidence between their signing up and the flood of extra spam.

The one postini email account that I do have (and which I have had for 5 years) has also let extra spam messages through for Thunderbird to kill recently (so I think it is just a matter of the people at Postini having not quite updated their processing to properly recognise all the new spam messages - especially all the ones about watches).

zoooid
07-09-2009, 10:39 PM
sounds plausible, although a bit too coincidental...but I guess it's an explanation. The other post here about this also scares me a bit.

Yeah it's the watches, replicas, but also a lot of grammatically terrible sex , pills and penis stuff, likely from china or Russia. I also have written a long filter in thunderbird, but still every time I get my mail and it says ..."57 messages", 52 of which are useless waste of bandwidth and time I get really annoyed. And I still have to sift through the spam to see if some paypal invoice or whatever got caught too. I had set up quite a big filter on BH webmail itself, but that one filtered out words it was not at all supposed to, and let others through that were clearly defined to be filtered, so after a while of not getting certain mails I was waiting for I saw them in the trash of the BH webmail account without a reason, I deleted the filter and took the postini thing. Strange though that BH told me the other day that the postini was NOT activated on my account although I clearly followed the links and instructions in the BH mail I got.
I've now activated spam assassin although as a non.programmer, I have little understanding of its intricacies and what certain stuff actually means...

mmonsen
07-10-2009, 12:31 AM
It seems like spam goes in cycles and it also seems like the more lists you try to remove your email address off the more that you get put on.

I don't think signing up for postini will make or create more spam for a particular email address.

When hearing about this it makes me think about anti virus software on your desktop/laptop. Often times it seems that when using them it makes viruses more available on your computer. Although I don't think the use of an anti virus program will make or create any more viruses than if you weren't to use one.

Spam is a very cheap way for someone to reach millions upon millions of people. The more that is done to try to prevent it the more people try to find ways around it. Which creates this vicious cycle.

I still tend to think that this is more a coincidence since bluehost wouldn't want to promote anything that was trying to make more spam for their mail servers. Webhosts and ISP's combat spam and spent more time and money each year on this and they aren't looking for ways to add more to their plate.

helmetaudio.com
07-11-2009, 02:41 PM
I've also seen a dramatic increase in spam since receiving the Postinit trial offer email (which I have not implemented for any address). The spam is actually being sent to two of my email addresses and for some reason, this 'new' spam is not being filtered very well by my own spam protection. I find it highly unusual that so many spammers have two of my email addresses that are unrelated. I've never before seen "CC: (my other address)" in a spam until recently. Maybe this forum isn't monitored very well, but at least if we post our issues here, maybe Bluehost will see the big picture instead of treating "individual" problems as simple coincidences.

Eriksrocks
07-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Just a guess: It's possible that when you activated the Postini trial, the regular spam protection was deactivated in order to make room for Postini but for some reason Postini wasn't activated correctly, leaving you with no spam protection at all.

Of course, it could be something totally different. Make sure that you contact Bluehost about it. :)

bsorli
07-18-2009, 07:24 AM
I thought this too...but I have the same problem and reactivated SPAM Assassin which is no longer working and effective.

I like many here tried Postini out a week or so ago (which magically worked), it has now expired, and now SPAM is up by 300% more then usual????

There is no way this is just a coincidence. Not that I'm blaming Bluehost for doing anything profit oriented, but obviously something went wrong if the system used to block and only let in about 10 SPAM messages per day and now I'm getting over a 100!!!

I used to use SPAM Assassin which is no longer working and it only catches SPAM every once in a while.

Time to look toward outside assistance or for that matter port my MX records over to Google and let Google Apps handle the cleaning, which Bluehost is not doing? Postini pre-screening through Google Apps is free for 50 clients or less, but you don't get the Postini management console for free and only get a drop box called SPAM. Either way, I'll have to find other options since Google Apps transfer is complicated and I'm very hesitant to support Bluehost who by coincidence is now envolved in the equation.....

Very unhappy with Bluehost!!!

Sorli...

2fer
07-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Have any of you tried using the emailProtector javascript? I have email links on every page for the past several years and receive no spam with it. It was available online from Jim Tucek whose script disappeared when the Academy updated files, but the script is alive and well from Dan Appleman now at http://www.danappleman.com/?page_id=61

Every once in a while someone in my contacts will get a bug that shares their contacts' emails and then I need to put up a new one, but it's every few years, not every few weeks.

bsorli
07-18-2009, 08:49 AM
No not yet...but I did look into it and would prefer something a little more automated like Postini, but without the penalty costing more money for something that used to be automatic with SPAM Assassin or otherwise.

Thanks though, Brian...

felgall
07-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Have any of you tried using the emailProtector javascript?

Any way of obfuscating the email address in the web page will eventually be decoded. The way to avoid spammers getting your email address from the web page is to not put it there at all - instead use a contact form and add the email address after the form is submitted.

felgall
07-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Time to look toward outside assistance or for that matter port my MX records over to Google and let Google Apps handle the cleaning, which Bluehost is not doing?

I tried Gmail once for a short time but it was the worst solution I have ever seen.

The way that works best is to properly train your email program as to what is and isn't spam. With my setup I have four email addresses, one uses Postini and the other three use Spam Assassin for the server side pass looking for spam. Of say 600 incoming emails in a single day, Postini blocks about 400, Spam Assassin flags about 80, Thunderbird picks up a further 40 the others missed, leaving me with 75 wanted emails and 5 spam emails in my inbox. Gmail was three times as effective at flagging emails as spam as Thunderbird is, it flagged 120 emails as spam leaving me with no spam at all in my inbox (and no wanted emails either).

bsorli
07-18-2009, 06:02 PM
That's interesting...

I finished moving my MX records from Bluehost to Gmail this morning, setup accounts on Gmail and replicated what I already had here, and now my mail is getting pre-screened SPAM, Malware and other threats using Gmail's free Google Apps service and Postini cleaning. The MX change went through in about 3 hours, but is live now and working properly.

So far so good...actually even better now that I was averaging around 100+ SPAM messages per day after Postini's Free Trial. This wasn't happening before, so something must have went wrong when I was on the trial (how can I go from 5 a day to 100+ per day and nothing has changed?) and I'm done with Bluehosts mail service for my domain I tried using their service on.

Either way, it Google Apps is working great for me so far, but my domain only has about 12 active accounts and Google Apps (free service) is only good for those who have 50 or less accounts.

I've done this before for other domains and another domain name also hosted with Bluehost and I think it works great.

Actually, Google Apps has already identified and gotten rid of 10 of my latest SPAM messages. I still have to delete them, but it is much easier with all of them quarantined in a SPAM folder waiting to be vanquished.

Three Cheers for Google Apps!!! :)

Sorli...

bsorli
07-19-2009, 07:57 PM
BTW, just a quick update to mention moving my MX over to Google Apps still working like a champ and them catching almost everything. I used to get about 50 or so per morning and Google Apps free Postini service has caught all but one so far.

Big thumbs up and well worth it if you are still having SPAM problems on Bluehost.

programmerq
07-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Any way of obfuscating the email address in the web page will eventually be decoded. The way to avoid spammers getting your email address from the web page is to not put it there at all - instead use a contact form and add the email address after the form is submitted.

It is true that any obfuscation can be decoded, but spammers aren't usually interested in getting *every* e-mail address that may potentially be obfuscated. Similarly, most burglars can learn how to pick locks. Most don't because there are enough people that have unlocked windows and doors that they don't need to. Simply turning the deadbolt will keep out a good chunk of lazy burglars that are only interested in walking through an open door. Locks can't prevent all burglaries but they sure are helpful in preventing them.

Contact forms come with their own set of problems, which need to be weighed against the disadvantages of using e-mail address obfuscation.

The javascript (de)obfuscater is a decent solution for users with javascript enabled because it is relatively easy to implement for the web author, and too much trouble for your average lazy e-mail address harvester script. It uses what appears to be RSA encryption. Granted, it is low grade RSA encryption with a severely limited keyspace, but that's a brick wall that I've never seen any e-mail harvester willing to scale just for a handful of addresses. There are far too many other e-mail addresses in clear text to worry about the people that take the time to lock the front door.

zoooid
07-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Just as a quick update, I now have a combination of spam assassin, BH filtering list and thunderbird filtering list and I am kinda cool now. But when I check my assassin spambox, there's up to 200 spam mails a day, and I am absolutely positive that I never ever got that much spam until the day I turned on the postini trial!!! It used to be around 15-20 max.
BH still seems to ignore this issue, and reading that more and more people report the same problem, it can only mean that something in there goes wrong. I'd quite like to know what it is...

redsox9
07-20-2009, 06:30 AM
I have noticed an increase in spam mail on one of my accounts as well but I have NOT turned on Postini in this case. I don't think a connection exists.

PerfectInsanity
07-20-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm experiencing the same issue on all of my mail accounts. I activated Postini for all but one when the initial offer came out, and that one started receiving a LOT more spam than normal. SpamAssassin used to catch 80-90% of them, but since that point, has barely been flagging any, even with rules tightened to flag more messages. All of my other accounts are also getting a lot more spam now that the Postini trial ended.

It seems very odd that ever since the Postini trial (a pay solution) was offered, SpamAssassin is virtually useless with the same setup I had before the trial. That alone is making me think there's something else behind this mess.

With what others have said, a coincidence seems possible, but I'd still say improbable. The timeframe is just too precise.

Early Out
07-20-2009, 08:48 AM
But let's not overlook two of my standard explanations for occurrences like this:

1. It's a quantum mechanical effect - spooky action at a distance (in Einstein's original phrase, "spukhafte Fernwirkung").

2. Bad juju.

I got through an entire career using excuses like that. :D

felgall
07-20-2009, 12:01 PM
The javascript (de)obfuscater is a decent solution for users with javascript enabled because it is relatively easy to implement for the web author, and too much trouble for your average lazy e-mail address harvester script. It uses what appears to be RSA encryption. Granted, it is low grade RSA encryption with a severely limited keyspace, but that's a brick wall that I've never seen any e-mail harvester willing to scale just for a handful of addresses. There are far too many other e-mail addresses in clear text to worry about the people that take the time to lock the front door.

But the spammers don't go after that version they go after the one you provide for the 6%-10% of your visitors who don't have JavaScript.

agape1ne
07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I too am getting a ton more spam which started the day the Postini trial ended. I'm not sure what the deal is. I re-activated Spam Assassin but it's not catching all that much spam. Still getting way more than I used to. I contacted their tech support but so far they haven't been much help. Glad to see I'm not the only one having problems.

flag_day
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
So far, *not* impressed with Postini mail filtering. The email account my ISP provides offers filtering from RedCondor.com. This service has been the best spam filter I've ever used, catching over 95% (about 50-75/day) and it will go for over a week without a false positive. By contrast, Postini has been catching about 30%, with about 25% false positives daily. Plus, it seems to learn very slowly. For weeks I've been getting obvious spam with subjects like "Discount meds," "Save on meds," etc., and even after sending copies to spam@postini.com, they keep coming. Red Condor, on the other hand, seems to update filters continuously. I learned that I can forward my BlueHost email accounts to my ISP email account, and Red Condor will filter out even these new spams that Postini delivers. I've written BlueHost, urging them to make Red Condor filtering service as one of their email options. I've since seen independent reviews showing that Red Condor is a more effective filtering service compared to Postini. Cost is the same with my ISP--$1/month/mailbox. Perhaps with more requests, BlueHost will consider the Red Condor service option. Meanwhile, I've yet to find out how I can discontinue Postini service immediately.....

felgall
07-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Perhaps with more requests, BlueHost will consider the Red Condor service option. Meanwhile, I've yet to find out how I can discontinue Postini service immediately.....

If Red Condor is so good and you already know about it then why do you want to pay BlueHost a commission for signing up for the service. Why not sign up with them direct and save the cost of the commission to BlueHost.

There is no connection between BlueHost and Postini apart from the fact that BlueHost is promoting it in return (presumably) for getting paid a commission for everyone they convince to sign up with Postini. There was nothing to stop people signing up with Postini directly before BlueHost started promoting it and still nothing to stop them signing up direct now. The one email address that I have through Postini was set up that way long before I moved my site to BlueHost and that move was a while before BlueHost started promoting Postini so my use of Postini started long before BlueHost first mentioned it and has nothing whatever to do with BlueHost.

flag_day
07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Red Condor's filtering service is not directly available at the present time for single users with a single mailbox, but they are considering making this feature available, according to their website. Their product is currently made for small businesses and IT departments. It seemed logical to suggest that BlueHost could provide their service, much as they do now with Postini.

cdwilli1
08-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I have been using the free trial of postini for about 1.5 weeks. I have seen an increase in spam since I turned it on compared to boxtrapper but not millions of tons of spam.

I have two issues, tho, with postini:
1) The lists of allowed users/mail lists/etc are too short. I filled them up and now what do I do? Without a much longer list postini is marginally useful because:
2) I have to go to the postini junk list several times a day to push out the allowed email and due to (1) I find myself pushing out emails from the same source. Additionally having to do this is a serious pain.

I know boxtrapper was hideous for the web but it worked really really well.

Am trying a new hosted spam trap, spamfighter. It is richer than postini and, according to reviews, a lot more reliable. Adding longer allowed lists and I will be a happy camper. If it works better than postini and even a little worse than boxtrapper, then yeah!

I shall see.

BobbyS
08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
But let's not overlook two of my standard explanations for occurrences like this:

1. It's a quantum mechanical effect - spooky action at a distance (in Einstein's original phrase, "spukhafte Fernwirkung").

2. Bad juju.

I got through an entire career using excuses like that.

Early................using those excuses you must have worked for the Government! :D

jitygt
08-07-2009, 01:01 AM
I have had my own email address for years and never any spam, I changed my hosting to BH and now I easily get 15 a day for most of my addresses. :confused:

Early Out
08-07-2009, 04:11 AM
I have had my own email address for years and never any spam, I changed my hosting to BH and now I easily get 15 a day for most of my addresses. :confused:
Probably just a coincidence. I have several email addresses with BH, some of them for over two years, that get almost zero spam. Perhaps your previous email provider was doing some filtering, and you just weren't aware of it.

felgall
08-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I had a huge increase in the amount of spam I receive at about the same time as everyone else in this thread mentions and yet I have changed nothing in my email configuration - therefore it can't be anything but a timing coincidence for those who did change something at that time.

programmerq
08-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I think I may have an idea as to why this increase has been seen. I have set up a mail system before, and my mail setup isn't *too* much different than Bluehost's.

A non-postini Bluehost-hosted e-mail domain has spam protection on at least one layer, even if spamassassin is completely disabled. Bluehost *does* in fact honor at least one RBL blacklist. I believe that BH uses spamhaus. This rejects a good number of spam messages as the connection is made to the mail server.

My working theory is that Postini does not implement this. I suspect that postini would *not* want to implement a method that would silently reject messages based on an outside source. Postini likely relies too heavily on their own proprietary filtering for their own good.

The lack of honoring the same RBL that Bluehost does would explain a jump in spam. In reality, your e-mail address was getting that much spam all along, but Bluehost effectively discarded it. How many legitimate messages were discarded along with all that spam? You'll never know.

This may also explain why someone who does the Postini trial, and sees a jump in spam, doesn't see the spam levels "go back to normal" after they stop the trial. This bit is more speculation than anything, but I'm guessing that the spammers know that they are on the spamhaus RBL (and others.) They continue spamming because some services, such as Postini, don't honor the RBL. If they send out a message from a Blacklisted server, and it is in fact accepted, then they *know* that the address is good. They can begin to sell your address on lists, and other spammers that are not on a blacklisted server will be able to successfully send you spam.

This theory is all on the assumption that Postini *does not* honor the same RBL that Bluehost does. Nothing conspiratorial is going on. It'd make more sense to conclude conspiracy if you saw a spam jump a few weeks before Matt Heaton's e-mail about the Postini free trial.

Now, if we can only get Postini or Bluehost to tell us if my guess is right. It makes sense, and would explain all the symptoms that have been reported. Contact support and tell them the following:

Bluehost does employ an e-mail RBL
Postini may not. Can you find this out?

It might take some doing for the tech, but they may be able to find an answer. If not, try again.

Another way of testing this would be if someone has access to an RBL blacklisted mail server. You could try connecting to a Bluehost server, and then try connecting to a Postini server.

felgall
08-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I think I may have an idea as to why this increase has been seen.

Thyat doesn't explain the reason why those of us who haven't used Postini have seen a similar huge increase in spam. Any explanation has to explain why people who haven't changed anything at all in the way they process emails have also seen a huge increase in spam emails.

Early Out
08-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I kinda like programmerq's working hypothesis. It makes sense, and doesn't rely on coincidence or conspiracy.

Coincidence is a possibility, but I've seen absolutely no increase in spam, and I'm not doing any filtering beyond what BH may be providing by using the RBL blacklist.

Conspiracy is almost never the answer. The people who scream "Conspiracy!!!!" are usually the same people who accuse BH (or the government) of being incompetent. Well, you can't have it both ways, folks! :D

agape1ne
08-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I've been struggling with the spam increase after the Postini trial and after several weeks, tech support has finally found a resolution. If you are having this problem here's what they did to fix mine.

After the Postini trial my MX was still pointing through Postini without the filtering. They changed my MX records so they don't go through Postini on Aug 12th and since then I have received not one spam in my inbox, they are all being caught by the spam assassin filter.

I even had my email forwarded to gmail and gmail was catching all the spam in it's filter. So I can now remove the forwarding and go back to life as normal.

Tom7
08-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I've been struggling with the spam increase after the Postini trial and after several weeks, tech support has finally found a resolution. If you are having this problem here's what they did to fix mine.

After the Postini trial my MX was still pointing through Postini without the filtering. They changed my MX records so they don't go through Postini on Aug 12th and since then I have received not one spam in my inbox, they are all being caught by the spam assassin filter.

I even had my email forwarded to gmail and gmail was catching all the spam in it's filter. So I can now remove the forwarding and go back to life as normal.Like the original poster, I was hit with a huge burst in spam after signing up some of our accounts to postini.

What intrigued me was that for the first time, suddenly spam was falling into 2 categories:

(1) Spam that box trapper caught just fine because their senders were either not white listed, or had attempted to white list themselves then were explicitly black listed, and

(2) Spam that was somehow flying under the radar of box trapper.

It was this second group that was so puzzling. How could so much spam suddenly circumvent box trapper's white list system?

Box trapper was catching the same quantities of spam it always had, but now there was a new and numerous batch of additional spam that had super powers box trapper was helpless to counter.

I scoured and experimented with box trapper white and black lists to no avail. That spam was definitely not white listed, and definitely still getting through.

What is more: because I only put some of our mailboxes on the postini, I could compare the postini boxes to the non postini boxes.

100% of the boxes that got a burst in spam were postini boxes, however...

Not all of the postini boxes got a burst in spam.

Go figure.

Like agape1ne, I configured my mail boxes so that messages went to both my bluehost hosted email boxes and a gmail account. Interestingly, gmail's spam catcher caught ALL the spam just fine.

Anyway, I'll talk to support about our MX records and see if that helps us as well.

Thanks for the post.

brianric
08-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Just started getting a buch of spam on two of my email accounts, and I think I found the reason why. My free trail of Postini was suppose to end 8-16, and roll over to the paid version. Went to the cPanel, BH deactivated Postini until I made payment on my CC. Reactivated, now my Blackberry is back to normal insttead of going off every two minutes.

unclebill
10-07-2009, 05:52 AM
After BoxTrapper was put down, I had to actually delete 2 addresses, because of the volume of spam.

I noticed someone say BoxTrapper was hard on the web... what does that mean? :confused:

In my opinion (notice the bold letters) if the world used BoxTrapper, spammers would go away.

The notice I got that BoxTrapper was going away, pretty much said that it didn't do any good because the spammers knew they had a valid address, because BoxTrapper bounced back their email.... well DUH! (sorry, another opinion) they still would have to get past BoxTrapper and they deal in volume.

And I hate all these undelivered emails, that I didn't send.

If email software would include an embedded code that would tell it....
that didn't come from me.... oh well another opinion

And we all know about opinions.

:D

I thought I'd feel better

felgall
10-07-2009, 11:20 AM
In my opinion (notice the bold letters) if the world used BoxTrapper, spammers would go away.

Boxtrapper has been removed because of the amount of spam it generates. If everyone stopped using spam generators like boxtrapper then 1/3 of the worlds spam would go away.

All boxtrapper does is to redirect the spam that a spammer sent to you to some innocent third party making you the spammers assistant.

felgall
10-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Yea, I've made the effort to say away from BoxTrapper for now.

It is no longer offered because it was generating too much spam so you will not have the option to change your mind about staying away from it in the furute unless you move to a host that still allows spam generators like boxtrapper to be run on their hosting.

kitmos
04-22-2010, 09:49 AM
I've also seen a dramatic increase in spam since receiving the Postinit trial offer email (which I have not implemented for any address). The spam is actually being sent to two of my email addresses and for some reason, this 'new' spam is not being filtered very well by my own spam protection. I find it highly unusual that so many spammers have two of my email addresses that are unrelated. I've never before seen "CC: (my other address)" in a spam until recently. Maybe this forum isn't monitored very well, but at least if we post our issues here, maybe Bluehost will see the big picture instead of treating "individual" problems as simple coincidences.

Interesting, Iíve also seen a lot of CC and BCCís to my other email addresses. I just signed up for SpamHammer and my spamís have Doubled since then.

airjacobs
07-25-2010, 11:51 PM
When hearing about this, makes me think about anti virus software on your desktop/laptop. Often times it seems that when using them makes viruses more available on your computer. Although I don't think the use of an anti virus program will make or create any more viruses than if you weren't to use one.

felgall
07-26-2010, 12:05 AM
The problem is that mostl of the different spam solutions need to be configured using a relatively large spam sample before they start to get things right and so any switching you do from one solution to another will almost always appear to be a backward step to start with sine the new approach has not been configured to the same extent as the one it is replacing.

Where it isn't replacing an existing solution but is instead adding to it then you have the problem of one changing things so that the other now needs retraining to recognise the differences.