PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Outages??? READ THIS!!!!

Sean-Wang
08-15-2006, 02:51 AM
Our site is still down!!!

box 126

temporarily ? how long?

:confused:

areidmtm
08-15-2006, 07:37 AM
If you are having problems with outages and your site being down, PLEASE call or email support. This is a user to user forum. There is nothing we users can do here, so please donít post that your box number is down. The admins know about it and are working as fast as possible to remedy the situation.

I do very much understand your frustration and why you are mad about posts getting deleted. But please try to also understand it from my stand point. I see almost 20 thread a day about outages, and I agree these outages are not good at all and should be, AND will be, AND are being fixed. We cannot have 20 thread of the same exact thing. Letís try and put all those posts HERE in one thread. And instead of deleted those posts, I will move them over to this thread to keep them all together.

If you need immediate help or have questions on when it will be back up, email or call support directly.

Thanks for your patience and support!

BUT, if you must post that your box is down, PLEASE PLEASE do it right here in this thread! I assure you that the admins WILL see it here!

flavio
08-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Matt Heaton, the owner of Bluehost, sent an email to all users on that server explaining the situation and what is currently being done.

Check your email that you put as the contact on the account. The files are currently being brought back up and they are working to get this back up as quickly as possible.

If you contact support, don't be surprised to still get the "we are still expecting a couple of hours" response. When checks have to run or when restores have to run on a server that hold Terabytes of data, these items don't simply take 10-15 minutes. On a regular computer if you experience a crash and Windows has to check the hard drive you can expect 15-20 minutes for it to do so. However, if the hard drive is many, many times larges than the normal hard drive, you can also expect to multiply the time required for that check to run and for the data to be restored or made available again.

flavio
08-15-2006, 08:03 AM
The server is now back up. The Bluehost administrators are reviewing to make sure that everything is correct on the server, but as of now the server are back up.

vegasgwm
08-15-2006, 08:05 AM
personally i don't see the point of keep putting posts about "my box is down". Because there's nothing other users can do about it, it just sounds like bitchn to me. If i can't see my site, the first thing i do is call or send BH a ticket, if they say problems with box xx, then i know.

areidmtm
08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
personally i don't see the point of keep putting posts about "my box is down". Because there's nothing other users can do about it, it just sounds like bitchn to me. If i can't see my site, the first thing i do is call or send BH a ticket, if they say problems with box xx, then i know.

I agree, but there are some users that want to still have those posts. And I cannot make everyone happy, but this seems to be the best way people can lets it out.

promoti
08-15-2006, 08:08 AM
As the majority of us use the same dead box for our email, its kind of imperative that a host provides information like a post in a forum so all can see.

Yes it was great that an email was sent and email now comes thru the server is back working, but for the last 24 hrs you could have saved a lot of heartache by putting the same email as a post here on the forums for all to see!

Not bitchn just asking for info which I think is fair and just. Maybe the moderators can suggest to Bluehost this get done in the future?

areidmtm
08-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Not bitchn just asking for info which I think is fair and just. Maybe the moderators can suggest to Bluehost this get done in the future?

Agreed. I think that it is fair as well, but I also do understand that they were pretty busy trying to get things back up and running.

buckidref
08-15-2006, 09:16 AM

Obviously, you didn't just experience your box being down for 30+ hours. The "point" changes when this happens to you. After calling support 2-3 times with no resolution or answer to the problem, this forum is the only place to go to find out what is going on.

page1ink.
08-15-2006, 10:02 AM
the problem is that "finding out what's going on" is not the same as "pointless moaning." that's why the posts have been deleted. Areidmtm is one of, what is it, four? five? moderators? everyone is down this guy's throat for doing what he feels is his job as a VOLUNTEER. this isn't AOL tech support, everybody here understands your problem whether you want to beleive that or not. we have all had frustrations with our websites being down at Bluehost or otherwise, and most people understand that twenty topics about the same thing is useless, annoying, a waste of space, etc.

now I'm not saying that 24 or 30 or whatever it was (I'm on box 42, I haven't had any troubles) is acceptable. if it were box 42 I would probably be very angy as well. but the thing is, guys, is that nobody in this forum can do anything to help you. ever go out with a group of three year olds? one starts crying because he can't get his way, and that makes the others start crying. now here you are, standing in the middle of four wailing children looking around with absolutely no hope of ever living through it. now take that analogy and apply it to this situation. suddenly, putting yourself in the mod's shoes really sucks!

the way I see it, there are a couple of routes to take to fix this forum issue:

step 1- I think Matt needs to address the situation personally. apparently he's done this through email, but like I said, I'm not on the affected box so I didn't get one.
step 2: ???????
step 3: everyone is happy!

step 1: make a category called "Server Questions" so that we can all put our server questions up inside of it. alternatively, make a thread (a la this one) for server questions. sticky it.
step 2: fix the servers
step 3: help Areid with his job! sure, rando and alligosh come around once in a while, but Areid has a lot of work modding this entire forum.

step 1: don't allow any server questions at all
step 2: put up some kind of page showing downtime of the different boxes and admin comments about said downtime (or lack thereof)
step 3: delete any server questions

again, to the point: nobody in this forum can do anything to help you. this is why the threads/posts were deleted. the only negative thing I have to offer about this is that yes, it does imply some sort of anti-criticism. I've mentioned to Areid that there should probably be an addition to the rules saying "No posts about server issues (except in X thread)!" and that would dispel some of that 'secrecy.' on the other hand, though, you have to realise that, while this forum is for you, it is not your forum. Bluehost can do whatever they want about the posts in here and you can complain 'til the pigs grow wings.

that's my eight cents.

redsox9
08-15-2006, 12:17 PM
nobody in this forum can do anything to help you...

I've not sure I get your point here. :p

I know that people are going to dump on you for this, but most of your points are valid. I'm on box 136 and I've experienced downtime in the past, too. Not 36-plus hours, of course, and I would be super-peeved if I had to deal with that and it was costing me business. I can't say that I feel your pain on this because, for me, my site is more for gits and shiggles and makes me just enough to pay for my expenses to run this. I'm happy to hear that the problem has been resolved (?) so that those who were affected can finally get back to business.

However, this forum is really for users to get in touch with other users to ask about this and that. BlueHost created the forum for that purpose and that purpose only; the moderators are here to make sure that everyone plays nice, not to answer questions about what they cannot control (server issues, etc.).

Personally, I'm surprised that areidmtm isn't swinging from a rope right about now after the recent abuse that he's suffered; I certainly wouldn't want his job right now. :D

dvessel
08-15-2006, 01:35 PM
As long as we don't have access to an offsite status page or something equivalent, this will continue on the next outage. You can talk about how this forum has a certain purpose but don't expect the next wave to follow when there are little alternatives. I'm not defending the whiners mind ya, (and I'm not saying the recent posts were whiners.) but you gotta understand that these things happen and not opening a communication channel for these troubles is just asking for it. Especially when a forum already exists.

page1ink.
08-15-2006, 01:36 PM
As long as we don't have access to an offsite status page or something equivalent, this will continue on the next outage. You can talk about how this forum has a certain purpose but don't expect the next wave to follow when there are little alternatives. I'm not defending the whiners mind ya, (and I'm not saying the recent posts were whiners.) but you gotta understand that these things happen and not opening a communication channel for these troubles is just asking for it. Especially when a forum already exists.

That's why I think either plan A or C will be best.

Mazzic
08-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Not allow people to post about the problems with the servers makes it appear as if there is something to hide. Problems happen, I think most users understand that. Lest us forget that these are computers and all computers have points of failure. Good communication would go along way with knowing what is going on.

Obviously, any post that is has no value should be deleted/moved.

I thought the information concerning the lack of dedicated IPs was good to know. Also the fact that a new Cisco router was purchased and is supposed to be installed today was important.

Yet we haven't been informed of any information concerning how this implementation of the router will be handled. Normally when swapping out your routers there will be a period of downtime..even if for only a moment. It would be nice to get some word on the game plan.

I have a server at a colo facility. Every time they plan on doing something or even when they don't plan it, I get an email letting me know. Planned Maintence or Emergency Maintence. They give a rough idea of the problem and how long they expect it to be down.

A "blog" page for this type of stuff would be great.

dvessel
08-15-2006, 01:49 PM
It's not a new idea. areidmtm mentioned Dreamhost a few times so I'm sure he won't mind me posting their status page.

http://status.dreamhost.com/

It leads to a bottomless pit but at least people are reassured on what's going down. It's basically a log of work being done by techs. Nicely documented with no secrets.

I'm not going to hold my breath for Bluehost to implement anything close but the complaints will happen every time something goes wrong. So, unless Bluehost plans on taking a different approach. I say, get used to it. :p

redsox9
08-15-2006, 01:51 PM
As long as we don't have access to an offsite status page or something equivalent, this will continue on the next outage. You can talk about how this forum has a certain purpose but don't expect the next wave to follow when there are little alternatives.

You are absolutely right - this forum is going to get used for that purpose today, tomorrow, two years from now, etc. It's just that one grows tired of people who have fewer than a half-dozen posts here whose only posts all read the same thing, "my site is down," blah-blah-blah. How do they expect the users of this forum to help in that instance? How do they expect the moderators (who are independent of what goes on at BlueHost) to resolve the issue?

I'm not defending the whiners mind ya, (and I'm not saying the recent posts were whiners.) but you gotta understand that these things happen and not opening a communication channel for these troubles is just asking for it. Especially when a forum already exists.

I agree 100% - with the good goes the bad in this instance. People are going to come here and use this forum as a sounding board (and I might, too, if I had waited 36 hours for my site to come back up and I had lost business because of it) but they can't honestly expect that we're going to resolve the problem.

YakYakYak
08-15-2006, 02:17 PM
It's not a new idea. areidmtm mentioned Dreamhost a few times so I'm sure he won't mind me posting their status page.

http://status.dreamhost.com/

It leads to a bottomless pit but at least people are reassured on what's going down. It's basically a log of work being done by techs. Nicely documented with no secrets.

Bottomless pit? as compared to... Looks like timely information to me.

As this and other threads in general relating to outages...
This is a general questions forum, where better to ask is it just me, or is the entire server down, or is the better place to ask in the fantistico forum...
If the moderators where to read the threads before deleting them, they would understand that some of the questions come from far away lands, like thailand, and I'm pretty sure that the Toll Free number does not apply there. I'd be willing to bet the rates are at least a buck a minute, and being on hold for 20 minutes, just to be told to sit tight and wait, the server will be up "soon" is not a response people want to hear after spending $20. So the alternative is to post a question is server X down, and save $20, and get berated for posting a general question in the forum "General Questions"

areidmtm
08-15-2006, 02:24 PM
There is also email AND live chat, if you cannot call

dvessel
08-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Bottomless pit as in it goes on and on. It's good and bad. Good in a sense that they have no qualms about showing this info.. Bad in a sense that there are a lot of problems. But hey, you get a more realistic picture and hopefully set your expectations appropriately.

YakYakYak
08-15-2006, 02:33 PM
There is also email AND live chat, if you cannot call

If live chat is up, and usually responses are much quicker in the forum then email...

I'd still like to know why an outage question does not qualify as a "General Question", aka "General questions that don't fit a specific category."

areidmtm
08-15-2006, 02:41 PM
If live chat is up, and usually responses are much quicker in the forum then email...

I'd still like to know why an outage question does not qualify as a "General Question", aka "General questions that don't fit a specific category."

Because all the posts that have been about being down were like "my box/site is down. I am so pissed off right now. I am going to leave if this keeps happening" something to that extent. I do understand why they are mad, and so does bluehost. Honestly I would be mad too, but I would fine other ways to voice that. I would expect a thread like that to be deleted. And really, do we need posts of this over and over again.

Like it has been said MANY times here, this is a user to user forum. The users cannot fix your down site. If you really wanted it fixed, or wanted to know why, then you'd email and wait for an responce. All the posts have been more or less of complaining. Now I do understand that they also want to know what the sites of other users are, but that's not relevant. And it's my job to decied what is relevent or not relevent on this forum.

I have left a thread open for those that want to talk about it and post their site being down. By all means, post in that thread. Until the admins of bluehost tell me to keep almost 20 daily posts of sites being down, then I will. Until then, I will delete or move them into the allowed thread.

Further more, if a post or a thread has been deleted, it CAN be undeleted. So if the admins feel that they want them back, then they can undelete them

dvessel
08-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Seriously, the first thing you can do is to kill that username. YakYakYak? And no, RabbleRabble is not a good alternative. :p

YakYakYak
08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Seriously, the first thing you can do is to kill that username. YakYakYak? And no, RabbleRabble is not a good alternative. :p

How about YakityYak :-) But I like YakYakYak... So I'll stick with it...

YakYakYak
08-15-2006, 02:48 PM
My thoughts are let people vent...
If there is an active outage, then dump the thread the next day... I don't think most people would have issue with that.
I think the more important task is to keep the scammer and spammer threads out...

hamzehscatterload
08-15-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm glad to see that some of the web sites that were down are now up.

Hopefully the tech support guys will have time now to answer my question about X11 forwarding on their server :D

It's the first time it takes more than 24 hours for them to answer my email which they still haven't answered :rolleyes:

Hercules
08-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Maybe Bluehost could build something like this (It was from my last host, and believe me there were a lot more red lights flashing than with Bluehost :D)
http://lowesthosting.com/monitor/
And when a box would hit a red light a helpdesk member should add a line ASAP explaining what the problem seems to be and how long it will take to fix it.
That way people won't be needing to call/mail/chat the helpdesk so these guys have more time to fix the problem instead of repeating the same stuff to all 500 accountholders. Also BH's customers won't get pissed because they can see what the problem is and that people are working on it right away.

Hercules
08-16-2006, 07:25 AM
I don't know if these are outages too, but over the last hour or so my site and also this forum go down for 2/3 mins every now and then and come back online for a while.