PDA

View Full Version : Newb: Dreamweaver cannot connect to host. . .

animationnick
03-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Hello! I'm a total newbie on this site and in general as far as website creation is concerned, so I apologize in advance.
I'm trying to get Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 to connect to my bluehost FTP, but am having trouble.
The domain in question is www.the-brainary.com, which I registered at namecheap.com. I added it to my existing bluehost account as an addon. I have another domain also listed as an addon which has given me no trouble.
According to bluehost, my addon directory should be public_html/thebrainary.
My current (not working) settings for DW CS4 are as follows:
FTP
www.the-brainary.com
public_html/thebrainary
login and password are correct, as they work for my other addon.

It works if I change the FTP host to www.the-brainary.(primary).com, but then I can only access the site online through the two-part url, not just the-brainary.com

I tried using the tutorial video in the help topics, but it didn't seem to help.

Additionally, I noticed that when I go to www.the-brainary.com, the site is not redirecting to bluehost, it's instead going to something else (namecheap, I think?). I changed my DNS servers on namecheap to NS1.bluehost.com and NS2.bluehost.com, so I don't think that's the issue.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the dash (-) in the url is screwing things up?

Thank you in advance for the aid!
Nick

farcaster
03-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I don't know how long ago you made the DNS entries for Bluehost, but it does take a while for that information to propogate through the internet. Sometimes as long as 24 hours, sometimes as quick as a few minutes. It depends on how quickly the dns servers send out the new information at the registrar and where you are located and how fast your dns servers get the information.

animationnick
03-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Hmm, I made the entries more than 24 hours ago now, but not MUCH more than that. . . maybe 30 hours? Is it possible that it could take that long (or longer)?
I will wait for tomorrow, to see if that's the problem.
Thank you for the advice :)
Nick