PDA

View Full Version : No file of folder in FTP transfer

jackraff
09-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi, I'm new to Bluehost, and attempting to load files to my site.
I've tried two FTP providers and my host name works, (I get a good connection message from both FTP providers) but there's nothing on the hosting server except a folder with a "/" backslash.

In my FTP account there's a long path after the user name, but it's not visible when I view the hosting server.

Did I forget to do something when I opended the FTP account. Am I doing somethin wrong? Probably!

Most FTP transfer providers expect files and/or folders to already up in the site when you browse if. My site is empty with only the "/" folder in it.

Note: this is a brand new site, and nothing has been transferred from another hosting company.
I have verified the hosting account and received a message to that effect.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Jack

farcaster
09-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Your mistake was probably not setting the "root" of the S/FTP Client to the public_html folder. That would be /home/username/public_html.
For authentication your cPanel username and password will be what you need for access.

jackraff
09-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I'll give that a try. Thanks-- farcaster

jackraff
09-28-2011, 03:46 AM
farcaster, sorry I'm late with ths reply. your advice worked immediately. Public_html in the root path and a good ftp upload. Site now operational

Thanks again. jackraff