PDA

View Full Version : Gmail domain hosting

earleyedition
09-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Hi there!

This is a specific question about how to change MX records on the Bluehost side to effect the gmail domain hosting for email.

After searching the forums I have seen several mentions, but no specific answer of how to actually do that. I know you can go
"cpanel -> email manager -> modify mail exchanger (mx entry) -> change an mx entry"
but there is only one option for changing "yourdomain.com".

The Gmail instructions are for 7 MX records to be added/changed, as follows

MX Server address /Priority
ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. /1
ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. /5
ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. /5
ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. /10
ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. /10
ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. /10
ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. /10

So, if in the cpanel MX change option there is only a single dropdown and entry option for
"change MX for 'yourdomain.com' to: ------", what is the correct thing to do now, when Gmail asks for all those mentioned above?

Thanks in advance from the people who've got this working for them :)

DarkBeer
09-14-2006, 06:47 PM
I haven't moved my domains to Bluehost yet (still thinking about it and have a month till my current hosting is up for renewal), but my current host uses cpanel as well. I had the same situation that you explain and I just set it to ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. /1 and it has worked fine for a week so far. Make sure you get all of your email boxes setup on Google first, and don't forget any email forwards you may have setup (I forgot one).

areidmtm
09-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I use ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

tom.bcn
09-15-2006, 02:56 AM
I use ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

That's what I use as well.

clearskys.net
09-18-2006, 08:28 AM
I took a different route and moved my DNS to everydns.net, then I could enter all of the gmail MX records in, and also set up the CNAME for google pages, etc...

Its also quite handy in case Bluehost have any problems, I can quickly access my DNS records and change the IP addresses for my sites over to a backup server until the primary site comes back online.

It makes my operation slightly more bullet proof. My mail is in one place controlled by 7 mail servers, DNS has 4 name servers in 4 different countries and two webservers with the web sites split across them. Hopefully no more 24hr+ outages for me.

aceofspades
09-18-2006, 10:16 AM

earleyedition
09-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks darkbeer and areidmtm, that worked!

Sorry it took me so long to acknowledge your help.

peerhelp
10-12-2006, 05:50 PM
What about just using Google for a subdomain? Does anybody know if I will have to change the MX entry for the main domain as well?

areidmtm
10-12-2006, 06:00 PM
you will have to change the MX records for the subdomain, not the main domain

ApolloX
12-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Were you ever able to set all of the MX entries? I'd like to be able to set all of them, not just a measley one, and I wanted to know if technical support assisted in this.

christian
12-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Were you ever able to set all of the MX entries? I'd like to be able to set all of them, not just a measley one, and I wanted to know if technical support assisted in this.

You have to ask tech support to do it.
with cpanel you can setup only 1 MX record, not all the ones asked by google.
also ask them to do a CNAME record for mail.yourdomain.com --> Ghs.google.com

so it's easier to access.

aceofspades
12-04-2006, 05:24 PM
look its fine with 1 MX entry i have never had a problem. I am sure that tech will help you since it is taking weight off their email server.

aceofspades
12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
I took a different route and moved my DNS to everydns.net, then I could enter all of the gmail MX records in, and also set up the CNAME for google pages, etc...

Its also quite handy in case Bluehost have any problems, I can quickly access my DNS records and change the IP addresses for my sites over to a backup server until the primary site comes back online.

It makes my operation slightly more bullet proof. My mail is in one place controlled by 7 mail servers, DNS has 4 name servers in 4 different countries and two webservers with the web sites split across them. Hopefully no more 24hr+ outages for me.

how do I use everydns??? I signed up for an account and now im like how do use it?

sharad
10-21-2007, 11:33 PM
What I have done is set the priorities this way and it is working. Got this idea from Google itself since they recommend such settings for some hosting companies. Of course an endorsement from BlueHost will be very assuring.

MX Server address /Priority

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. /10
ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. /20
ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. /30
ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. /40
ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. /50
ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. /60
ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. /70

click2down
11-22-2007, 10:04 PM
you will have to change the MX records for the subdomain, not the main domain

Hi,
If you are sure, then bluehost 's service is very bad !

Some provider host on the world is support Cname at main domain.
Good Luck !