PDA

View Full Version : uploading revised html file

DLEO8
12-08-2006, 02:04 PM
I have revised my web site and have attempted to upload and overwrite the existing pages. The message tells me my upload was successful however when I open my website, it is the same old pages. What am I doing wrong?

Early Out
12-08-2006, 02:14 PM
First, make sure that you're uploading the new pages to the correct directory (public_html). Beyond that, clear your browser cache (in Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files), and make sure your browser is set to check for new versions of pages automatically, or with every visit (Tools, Internet Options, Settings).

DLEO8
12-08-2006, 04:09 PM
First, make sure that you're uploading the new pages to the correct directory (public_html). Beyond that, clear your browser cache (in Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files), and make sure your browser is set to check for new versions of pages automatically, or with every visit (Tools, Internet Options, Settings).
I have done all that you suggested and still no luck. Could it have anything to do with the file name/location on my PC?

Early Out
12-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Could it have anything to do with the file name/location on my PC?Well, no. A file doesn't "remember" where it came from. (Homeopathic files? ;) ) If you've copied index.html from your PC to the public_html directory on the server, it will overwrite whatever index.html existed there in the first place.

Make sure you don't have both an index.html and an index.htm, for example.

Basil
12-08-2006, 06:58 PM
If you're using the cPanel file manager you need to make sure 'overwrite existing files' is checked above the upload button.