PDA

View Full Version : Guidance on emailing clients

amorgwrites
06-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Dear Blue Host,

I recently attempted to send a message about a new book I have just written to 60 people on my mailing list, all of whom are subscribers and have received mail from me in the past via other systems (Campaign Monitor). My mail was rejected by your servers as unauthorised bulk mailing.

That's fair enough. But then I did some research and found a previous post on this forum which stated that your normal email rate limit of 50 per hour can be increased to 500 per hour and that if you stay within this limit, then emailing to subscriber lists was authorized.

So I need some guidance. It strikes me that there's 'spam' and there's 'spam'. If I mail 2,000 people and tell them about my new natural impotence remedy, I would quite rightly be accused of spamming and barred from your servers etc. But if I mail 2,000 bona fide subscribers (or a subset of those subscribers, as was the case earlier today) about a new book or article, which are products of a legitimate business that those subscribers have asked to be informed about, am I still spamming?

Many thanks in advance for clarification,

Best Regards, Andy.

Bob Barr
06-18-2013, 11:34 AM
While I wouldn't consider it spamming, Bluehost does have their limits in place so that they don't have to evaluate every mailing on a case-by-case basis.

To email to 2,000 subscribers, I'd suggest first getting your sending limit raised to the 500 per hour. (I believe that's a request to tech support that's routinely allowed.) Your next step would be to break your list of email addresses into chunks of less than 500 addresses and send to those lists individually more than an hour apart.

KenJackson
06-19-2013, 07:44 PM
I recently attempted to send a message ... to 60 people on my mailing list, all of whom are subscribers and have received mail from me in the past ... My mail was rejected by your servers as unauthorised bulk mailing.

I had the same problem some years ago when I set up my local organization's email list of over 200 addresses. I switched to using my personal Verizon FiOS account instead to send them. They also have a limit, but I wrote a script that alternates sending 50 emails (individually) and sleeping for 50 seconds. I've had no problem for several years.

I was also surprised to find that the providers of some destinations would reject email from BlueHost accounts (a few years ago when I last tried) and from another provider I used, but they never reject Verizon (or Comcast when I had that service).

MikeW
06-19-2013, 08:09 PM
I recently attempted to send a message about a new book I have just written to 60 people on my mailing list, all of whom are subscribers and have received mail from me in the past via other systems (Campaign Monitor). My mail was rejected by your servers as unauthorised bulk mailing.

I took a look at their Terms of Service. Basically spamming in their eyes is if the recipients didn't "opt-in" or if the email doesn't have an opt-out system.

It was section 11.02 -
Spamming, whether or not it overloads the Services or disrupts service to Bluehost's Subscribers, is prohibited. The term "Spamming" includes, but is not limited to, the sending of unsolicited bulk and/or commercial messages over the Internet, maintaining an open SMTP policy, or sending to any mailing list that is not double opt in. Bluehost requires that all email messages contain an automated opt out . We do not allow purchased lists. Bluehost's Subscribers are required to follow all rules in the Can Spam Act (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/ecommerce/bus61.shtm) as well as our company spam rules. Bluehost reserves the right to determine, in its sole and absolute discretion, whether e-mail recipients were part of an opt-in email list. Irrespective of whether an email campaign constitutes Spamming as defined herein, Bluehost allows a MAXIMUM of 500 emails per hour to be sent from any individual hosting account.

amorgwrites
06-20-2013, 03:39 AM
While I wouldn't consider it spamming, Bluehost does have their limits in place so that they don't have to evaluate every mailing on a case-by-case basis.

To email to 2,000 subscribers, I'd suggest first getting your sending limit raised to the 500 per hour. (I believe that's a request to tech support that's routinely allowed.) Your next step would be to break your list of email addresses into chunks of less than 500 addresses and send to those lists individually more than an hour apart.

Thanks Bob. I've just called tech support and they upped my limit to 500 per hour. However, I've just tried to implement a mailing of 240 recipients and every one has been barred by the Blue Host servers with the following message:

[01] 6/20 11:36:24 550-([192.168.0.6]) [94.171.227.158]:52603 is currently not permitted to relay
550 through this server.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks again, Andy.