PDA

View Full Version : Does Bluehost support JAVA?

nirz
05-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Does bluehost support JAVA? Not JavaScript, but the language JAVA?

Thanks

ben_brown30
05-02-2006, 12:01 AM
It depends what you mean by that...

You cannot run Java Server Pages as it does not support the use of a Java application server such as Tomcat.

You should be able to put Java applets in your pages that will run happily in a browser.

If you clarify your question more then maybe we can help.

balthisar
05-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Dangit. I just found out that I want Java server support. The servers at work are going to J2EE and dropping all legacy Java support and not offering any PHP support, so as long as I have to learn J2EE to perform a non-vital part of my job, I might as well drop PHP on my personal sites and move to J2EE, too.

Any support or plans to support server-side processing of Java? I can't ssh in past the firewall right now just to try "java" on the command line...

ben_brown30
05-05-2006, 01:49 AM
You should be able to run normal Java processes on the server, however to run J2EE applications you would require a Java Server such as Tomcat, Weblogic etc

Bluehost have never said anything about plans to support these. I myself have looked at options for hosting Java Server Pages, but eventually gave up due to the extra cost associated with it as hosting seems to be few and far between and more expensive.

alligosh
05-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Server side java is not supported.

Nor will it ever be on bluehost (as far as I can tell).

The reason is simple. Java is a resource hog. If you think you have cpu related issues with poorly designed databases and bad php code, you should try java.

I am not saying that it isn't a decent language that a lot of people are starting to use, but quite frankyl I think it is 1000% overrated and severe bloatware.

An example. I was working with some very large vendors to setup a carrier grade VoIP phone switch (as in, a replacement for a class 5 switch, costing millions of dollars - very large scale). The java setup used 14 servers to handle a set number of phone calls per second, simultaneous connections, etc. (mother's day level of callers). The competitor (using a C coded app) had 4 server to support the same numbers.

Now, I know that java can be tuned, etc, etc, but a 14:4 ratio is a little off the mark. And the java company wasn't a slouch. Problem is that java apps take more CPU, more memory, often are not as stable, and do not really run on any system. If you write it for a Solaris server, it doesn't run very well on a linux box without modification. So, basically, the write once, run anywhere doesn't really work, and the amoun t of resources required to run it is not worth the trouble.

End result: a shared hosting environment would only be able to put a fraction of the amount of users on a single server, with the cost of the service going up accordingly. Sorry guys, java is out.