Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a download link

Default How to make a download link

I am making a site in which I am putting some songs of myself in wma and mp3 format for visitors to download when they click on the links of the songs. Can someone tell me how I can implement this please?

Well, you have a few options when it comes to audio file handling. You can have it streaming, downloadable, or both. If you want to stream your audio files just follow the steps below.

1. Upload your MP3 to your server

2. Open notepad. write the entire url of the mp3: ie: http://www.myserver.com/mp3s/mysong.mp3 (obviously the full real url of your mp3)

3. Do a 'save as' and call it something but add .m3u on the end of it. eg: mysong.m3u

4. Upload this .m3u file to your server too.

5. This acts as a pointer to your mp3 file and the m3u extension tells it to stream. So in your page you just link to the .m3u file. When people click your link it goes to the m3u which auto redirects and streams the MP3 you pointed it to, in the default player of the users operating system. In my case, realplayer.

The beauty of this is that as the URL is contained in the notepad document no-one can see where the MP3s are to download them.

you can use the exact same technique to stream video and audio in realplayer. Your realplayer file is a .rm - so you create a notepad document with the extension .ram and it functions exactly the same. no need for embedding. just pops up in realplayer.

That's form the knowledge base within Bluehost. If you want to make it purely a download only file you can link to it like you would another page on your site through the use of <a href ="/mymusic/mysong.mp3">. Or where ever you might have the file stored on your site.
    leave my elevator... alone.

between something and nothing

You could just .zip the files, and put them up. That instantly sets the download.

Other than that, you could tell people to right click and select "save file as".
    ultimateuploader.com - Free file uploading and hosting
    ultimatevideotutorials.com - Free Photoshop video tutorials
    silentcollision.com

What silent said. Audio files by default gets played by the users designated audio player/plug-in. It should be possible by changing MIME types to have it treated as a direct download instead of playing.
    {0,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-
    On permanent hiatus...

Thank you guys for your responses. I tried Grant's solution of giving a direct hyperlink to the song wma file, but when I clicked the link, it didn't ask where to save the file, the way it generally happens. Instead it started saving the file to temporary files folder and started playing it when the download was complete. Any ideas as to how this can be corrected?

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    Thank you guys for your responses. I tried Grant's solution of giving a direct hyperlink to the song wma file, but when I clicked the link, it didn't ask where to save the file, the way it generally happens. Instead it started saving the file to temporary files folder and started playing it when the download was complete. Any ideas as to how this can be corrected?
    Like silentcollision said, you can just put your song(s) into a zip file and that will force the download of the zip file. I had forgotten about direct linking the song will force media player, winamp, quicktime, etc to open it and play it. If you want people to simply download them then do what silentcollision suggested.

Well the zip method is a way to do it, but it's not that neat. I have seen some sites where they do have this method for mp3 or other file types also. There is some PHP script or something for it. Should someone have it, I'll be thankful if they give it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by grant
    The beauty of this is that as the URL is contained in the notepad document no-one can see where the MP3s are to download them.
    Does this leave a copy of the mp3 in the temporary internet files? I would like to find a way to avoid leaving the file on the user's computer. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hlsJeff
    Does this leave a copy of the mp3 in the temporary internet files? I would like to find a way to avoid leaving the file on the user's computer. Thanks.
    Ya know. I really have no idea on that. :D Let me try something real quick and I'll get back to you on that in an Edit.

Edit: Okay, the only thing I can find that this technique will leave on my machine is the m3u file, not the mp3 file. However, upon opening the m3u file I could easily find the actual mp3 file and download it if I wished to. Apparenty knowledgebase doesn't have it all right.
    Last edited by grant; 06-30-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Here is the scenerio of how some things are done.

When you download an executable file, you may be asked if you wish to run the program "mid air" or if you wish to save it to your hard drive and you will run it yourself later.

Can an mp3 file be used/played without first (at all) saving it your hard drive?