Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: how do i fix "This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota "

I will suggest to wait for their reply before making any changes.
    I'm no expert, so better to wait for their reply, or other replies on this topic.

If on the other hand you feel comfortable making changes and/or can easily restore awstats afterworlds (if nothing changes) go ahead and try. What do you have to lose (possibly you'll only gain something)?:)

Good luck.

Default Maybe an option.

There is nothing "money can't buy" :)

Before I signed up with BlueHost I was curoius about what would happen if my proposed site became successful and started exceeding the cpu limits.

I was told by sales that for a small additional fee (I don't remember what it was...but it was minor compared to moving the site to another provider that would probably have the same limits) BlueHost could up the available cpu cycles (almost double).

I suggest you call sales and ask about it. Don't take NO for an answer. This is a new service and some of the sales and support staff had not heard of this as of 3 weeks ago.

Steve

Wow, nice info srsoqhigh.
    The "powa of moneeey"!:D

Quote Originally Posted by srsoqhigh View Post
    I suggest you call sales and ask about it. Don't take NO for an answer. This is a new service and some of the sales and support staff had not heard of this as of 3 weeks ago.

Steve
    It's not that new, I can remember references to it on the forum a year ago when I first moved my site here. It may have been around for a long time before that. BlueHost just don't promote it much because most people don't really need itsince you'd need tens of thousands of visitors a day to regularly exceed the standard limit on a frequent enough basis.

From memory the way the upgrade works is that you pay about three times as much for your hosting and they move your site to a server that has a lot fewer other sites hosted on it so that you can have a bigger share of the CPU.

I don't get much traffic. I do get plenty of CPU errors, though. I thought it was because spambot action in my forum. I upgraded my forum. I still get the errors. I checked my logs. It doesn't seem to take much to beat the limit. In fact, I don't understand the stats. I thought the usage has to exceed 50 seconds or something. I see a couple hits on articles. A few forum posts. And my banner ad rotator is doing its thing, like it has for years. They each take a couple seconds or a fraction of a second. I mean, I want lots of people on my site! Isn't that usually OK?

Here's a sample from my log:

CPU Exceeded Log For Mon Dec 10 09:42:44 2007

[...]
    Mon Dec 10 09:37:49 2007: used 0.11 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: www.outyourbackdoor.com : GET /forum/cp2.php?action=restrictions HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:37:49 2007: used 4.21 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: www.outyourbackdoor.com : POST /forum/post.php?action=reply&fid=1&tid=34 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:37:51 2007: used 4.17 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: www.outyourbackdoor.com : POST /forum/post.php?action=reply&fid=1&tid=34 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:37:46 2007: used 2.98 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: www.outyourbackdoor.com : POST /forum/post.php?action=reply&fid=1&tid=34 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:38:06 2007: used 3.46 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: www.outyourbackdoor.com : POST /forum/post.php?action=reply&fid=1&tid=34 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:39:29 2007: used 0.10 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: www.outyourbackdoor.com : GET /article.php?id=15 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:39:30 2007: used 0.01 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: outyourbackdoor.com : GET /articles2006/henry.clay/henry.clay.bats.sm.jpg HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:39:30 2007: used 0.10 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: www.outyourbackdoor.com : GET /article.php?id=328 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:39:31 2007: used 0.01 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: www.outyourbackdoor.com : GET /images/search_background.gif HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:38:53 2007: used 0.04 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: outyourbackdoor.com : GET /includes/bannerserve.php?banner=&cat_id=27 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:39:02 2007: used 0.14 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: outyourbackdoor.com : GET /list_articles.php?catid=12 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:39:03 2007: used 0.11 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: outyourbackdoor.com : GET /list_articles.php?catid=12 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:38:28 2007: used 0.04 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: allbikemag.com : GET /article.php?id=536 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:38:27 2007: used 0.05 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: allbikemag.com : GET /article.php?id=587 HTTP/1.0
    Mon Dec 10 09:38:36 2007: used 0.05 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: outyourbackdoor.com : GET /article.php?id=843 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:38:37 2007: used 0.05 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: outyourbackdoor.com : GET /includes/bannerserve.php?banner=&cat_id=27 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:38:38 2007: used 0.04 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: outyourbackdoor.com : GET /article.php?id=843 HTTP/1.1
    Mon Dec 10 09:40:16 2007: used 0.04 seconds of cpu time for HTTP Request: outyourbackdoor.com : GET /includes/bannerserve.php?banner=&cat_id= HTTP/1.1

4 seconds is very high for a POST, but I can't tell why it's taking so long without knowing what the script did to handle the request.

Try contacting support via live chat on bluehost.com, this looks like it's a little more complicated than just optimizing the tables. They may or may not be able to suggest anything helpful.

I just started using drupal for my site (installed last week). I get next to no traffic on my site (1-4 visits a day excluding myself), yet if I even sneeze in the direction of editing anything "This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota". i cant even touch my website now. I have to wait till it calms down. All I did tonight to cause it was fix a typo on a page and saved! i replaced one character and that caused it to go nuts!?

I clearly understand that Drupal could be or is the main factor in this, but when I don't even get visitors to my site and it goes down just viewing the main page, I feel cheated. I only work on my site during off peak hours (midnight-6 am, insomnia) My website is only an online art/animation portfolio, but still it kind of sucks to have this happen all the time, doesn't look good to employers!

excuse me im off to tippy toe around my site to see if there is anything i can do.

I have had some trouble with CPU data in the past but lately it's been fine as my traffic has gone down.

1. How do I check to see how close I am to exceeding the CPU limits?
    2. I want to install wordpress on to my server, will this push me over the top? How can I know in advance if I should install wordpress or not?

bluehost is an overseller...switch hosts guys.....

Quote Originally Posted by PanesarV View Post
    bluehost is an overseller...switch hosts guys.....
    COMPLETELY UNTRUE as why else would they have so many satisfied customers and less than 0.01% who complain.

BlueHost has plenty of capacity on their servers for all of their customers to be able to set up billions of static web pages each of which are visited by thousands of people each day or thousands of static pages visited by everyone on the planet every few hours.

BlueHost also provide sufficient capacity for those running most reasonable scripts where you only have a few thousand visitors a day. If you end up exceeding the CPU limits with less than 1000 visitors per day then either the script is extremely inefficient and needs to be rewritten or replaced with a more efficient one OR the script has not been properly configured.

Many of the popular scripts have caching options built in which if properly configured will mean that most of the pages can be served as static pages out of a cache and only rebuilt once every few hours rather than for each visitor. Many of the scripts that don't have such an option built in have a plugin available that will provide that facility.

Those getting thousands of visitors on a very dynamic web site have outgrown shared web hosting and need to look at getting dedicated hosting. Those getting fewer visitors than that and who still exceed the generous CPU limit have either selected the wrong script for their purpose or have configured it wrongly. BlueHost is not selling dedicated hosting where you get the entire CPU to yourself, they are selling extremely cheap shared hosting designed for sites that are primarily static and/or just starting out and which therefore only get tens or hundreds of visitors a day.

On my hosting account with BlueHost I have over 2000 static pages which between them get over 3000 unique visitors a day for approximately 10,000 page views. I also have a phpBB forum and two WordPress blogs each of which has caching enabled so as to minimise page builds. I also have a membership area using a custom written script that contains hundreds of pages that are dynamically built each time they are visited. These also get large numbers of visitors each day and I have never once had a CPU exceeded error on my account caused by running any of these. I don't imagine that there would be all that many accounts on BlueHost with as many web pages and visitors as I have as I have been building the site using just about all of my spare time for the past eight years.