Thread: Transferring a Domain from 1and1

Default Transferring a Domain from 1and1

Hi,

I bought a domain via 1and1 sometime ago; and I have recently bought a hosting package with bluehost.
    How do I transfer my domain from 1and1 to bluehost, heard something about DNS? I just wondered which servers I point my domain to to meet up with my bluehost package,

Hope that makes sense

If you edit the nameservers for your domain where ever it is registered to point to ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com you can then set up a matching site in your bluehost hosting account. If you want to change registrars then make sure you allow enough time for the nameserver change to propogate first before requesting the domain transfer.

Parking the domain will point it to your public_html folder, an addon domain will point to a subfolder.

Ok, thanks guys, I did what you said felgall, worked out fine and seemed to take effect pretty quickly; around 6 hours or so. So I was quite pleased, tried to get to my site today however, and it is going back to the 1and1 pages; yet in the DNS settings its still set to ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com

I'm just assuming that the change is still taking effect.

domain propogation depends on which domain name server a particular visitor is using. Some visitors will see the change in minutes. Most will see it in hours. A small number will still be seeing the old location for a week or more after you make the change. It all depends on how frequently the particular domain name servers in their area are refreshed.