Thread: SHTML Wrapper - 500 Server Error: moving to a new box helps?

Default SHTML Wrapper - 500 Server Error: moving to a new box helps?

I have several clients on bluehost. Most work fine but one, who is on box290 has a severe problem. The site is often down, no PHP working anymore, error message "SHTML Wrapper - 500 Server Error". Customer service says it's a coding problem but this happens at a point where there was no update for weeks and even a standard WordPress blog (installed via fantastico, no manual changes whatsoever) wouldn't work anymore.

I googled it and it seems to be a common problem with bluehost. However, some people report it became better once bluehost moved them over to a new box.

My question: how is this possible? Can I just ask them to do it now or do we need to wait until the site is down again for a couple of hours?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I'm getting an occasional "SHTML Wrapper - 500 Server Error" failure too. Seems to be related to transmitting large data to the client from a PHP program. It ruins the user experience on my application. I'm on box114. Any advice would be welcome. E.g. if you have encountered the problem and overcame it.

Thanks,

George

Same problem. Wasn't there an e-mail that they had electromagically figured out how to run PHP 4 and 5 on the same box? Is not so electromagical after all?
    I'm on box22 and my Movable Type archives are broken. Has anyone resolved this by upgrading from MT 3.35 to MT 4? Or do you still get this error in MT 4?
    Last edited by Niels Olson; 12-16-2007 at 05:33 PM.

I've been getting the "SHTML Wrapper - 500 Server Error" a lot recently. I'm using Perl, not PHP. I just can't figure it out. The same script has been working fine for months without this problem. In my case, it seems to be something to do with creating and writing files on the fly, but I'm really quite lost.

UPDATE: I figured it out. My script was creating html files which were being assigned the default permissions, i.e. 666. Changing the files to 644 on the server made them show up properly, but I had to find a way to make my script set the permissions on newly created files. I added a chmod line after closing the file, e.g.:

close(FILE);
    chmod(0644, $filename) or die "Couldn't chmod data file: $!";
    There's probably something similar for PHP, too.
    Last edited by nickr; 08-05-2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Found a solution.

Smile File and directory permission problem.

I've had this problem today too. It's a file and directory permission issue. Apparently bluehost configured their servers not to execute anything if the directory and/or file is set to have permissions above 744. The default permissions that the server sets for all new files and dirs are 644 so you can use that too.

If your script was working and now it suddenly stopped working, it's probably because they added this "security" configuration to their servers in the meantime.

A support operator helped me out and told me about this issue after I've spent an hour obsessing about why my script wasn't working. Too bad they didn't bother to post a public notification about this thing or at least provide a comprehensive error message when this happens so people can figure it out.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Adam Guest

The security precaution about not running files which have write access to the 'world' permission group (6, 3 or 2 as the last number) is completely valid.
    If you were to do this to one of your files, any other user on the same box as you (hundreds of random people) would be able to edit/save that file, then run it (aka you'd be getting hacked without them needing even a username/password).

They're really doing this to help, not hinder you.

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    The security precaution about not running files which have write access to the 'world' permission group (6, 3 or 2 as the last number) is completely valid.
    An important point, here - the restriction doesn't apply to "permissions above 744." It applies to permissions that have "world write" (a.k.a. "other write") access. So, 755 is fine, but 752, 753, 756, and 777 are not. Similarly, 644 is fine, but 642, 643, 646 and 647 are not.

It's the value of that last octal digit that matters. If it's 2, 3, 6, or 7, the file won't execute, for security reasons.

Default another solution

I entered some Paypal buttons with <form> tags in a post content field, saved and and got "<!-- SHTML Wrapper - 500 Server Error -->" message with white pages for my entire Worpress 3.0-beta2 site.
    I went into phpMyAdmin and removed "the last entry that was edited"in the raw data field (Paypal form tags in my case), then saved database.
    My wordpress is back! I re-pasted the content and published a second time and everything is fine.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by georgio8 View Post
    I'm getting an occasional "SHTML Wrapper - 500 Server Error" failure too. Seems to be related to transmitting large data to the client from a PHP program. It ruins the user experience on my application. I'm on box114. Any advice would be welcome. E.g. if you have encountered the problem and overcame it.

Thanks,

George
    How do you know what box box you are on?

Chasing the Holy Grail - Pacific Northwest

That information is on the main page of your cPanel, on the left hand side, midway down.
    In the Hyperion universe, a farcaster is an instantaneous transportation device.
    Experience: The thing you get just after you need it.