Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPU Quota

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackmars2 View Post
    Ok... I am pretty frustrated here, and from a search on the forums, I can see that many people are having the same problem.
    Bluehost is hosting over 430,000 domains. In all of these forums you'd be hard-pressed to identify more than a couple dozen people who are having CPU quota problems. What does this tell you?

This tells me that a few of the servers may be having problems that the others aren't. What I see is the problem getting played down, yet there are still many posts where I see customers stating they are using a single program, with a single visitor, and receiving this problem. I see in February, Matt Heaton acknowledge the problem in his blog, yet it still persists today, 10 months later. I see many people who don't have the problem, and don't understand what the problem is until they experience it for themselves. I can understand that a lot of people who aren't experiencing the problem would be quick to blame the problem on poorly created databases or poorly written scripts. Let me tell you that I am not ready to completely rewrite several PHP applications in the hopes that I might make them more efficient than the dedicated programmers who have spent years creating them. If I could personally re-write Gallery to be much more efficient than it is now, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I would be sipping Long Island Iced Teas with John Carmack discussing plans on the next version of Doom.

The point is, and I believe that many of you have a hard time believing this.. My account is getting locked out when only one person visits my site. I know it's only one. I just launched the site today, and was talking with my mom on the phone when it crashed on her.

This is not reliable hosting. I'm happy that your websites work for you.

And for a couple dozen people to be complaining about that, that figures like this:

There are a couple dozen (lets say 20, for simplicity) who are smart enough and willing enough to say something about it on the forum. For every 1 person who speaks up, 1000 others don't say anything. So, that's potentially 20,000 people who could be having this problem. Now, in my case, I manage a few clients and their accounts on bluehost as well. not as sub accounts... full, paying Bluehost accounts. I am directly responsible for maintaining 5 accounts besides my own on Bluehost. I leave, they leave. Not all 20,000 people mentioned above will be in charge of 5 accounts, but let's guess that maybe an average of 2 accounts per person. That means that for every 1 person who may leave bluehost over this problem, 2 accounts will be lost. 40,000 people WILL find another host, there is no doubt. And where Matt Heaton explains in his blog about how Bluehost started by being a leader and providing excellent service, there will be a Matt Heaton Jr ready to do the exact same thing.

From what I've searched on the forum, it seems that these problems are mostly related to Gallery programs (gallery, coppermine) and php Forum, of all things. A forum?!?

If I were CEO, and from what I've read on Matt's blog, he is this type of CEO... if I had even ONE!!! customer with this problem, I would be very concerned. Mr. Heaton strikes me as that type of leader. But dancing around the issue and claiming that "other companies are just throwing more hardware at the problem" 'but we're better than that, because that's not really fixing the problem, so we're just gonna wait until the Linux kernel gets better' isn't really doing anything at all. Add more servers, throw more hardware at the problem, get the customers that are having problems through, and then try to come up with some revolutionary new software trick to squeeze a little more power out of your existing servers.

A company like bluehost cannot expect to grow from a forecast 200,000 users by the end of 2006, to 400,000 users (as you claim) by the end of 2007 without upgrading their infrastructure! Throttling peoples accounts to where they have to sip drops of computer power through a painfully small straw is not the way to go about this.

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackmars2 View Post
    And for a couple dozen people to be complaining about that, that figures like this:

There are a couple dozen (lets say 20, for simplicity) who are smart enough and willing enough to say something about it on the forum. For every 1 person who speaks up, 1000 others don't say anything. So, that's potentially 20,000 people who could be having this problem.
    Well, if you're going to start making up numbers, you're on your own.

This is going no where are just going to become another griping and flaming thread about CPU.

Simple solution for you...if you don't like the way things are run at bluehost, then don't buy hosting from bluehost. I hate going to Walmart because I don't like the way it's run, so guess what? I DON'T GO THERE. I go to another place that I like and suits my needs. This is what you should do. Find a host that will suit your needs.

This thread is now closed.
    Unlimited Storage, Unlimited Transfer, Host Unlimited domain names, 1 Free Domain Name
    BlueHost Features | BlueHost Help Desk | Become a BlueHost Affiliate | BlueHost CEO Blog
    (888) 401-4678 | Create a support ticket