Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: "There is no website configured at this address"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default "There is no website configured at this address"

    I am moving my web site from another host to BlueHost. While waiting for the nameserver changes to propagate, I installed WordPress to ftp://userName@<ip-address>/public_html. When I point the browser to <ip-address>/~userName, my site works as expected.

    When I point the browser to www.mydomain.org, I get the message in the title.

    What have I done wrong?

    TIA...

  2. #2
    Early Out's Avatar
    Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sector R
    Posts
    4,643

    Default

    It sounds like your domain simply hasn't propagated yet. Give it a little time. Actually, changes generally show up very, very quickly if you're pointing your PC or router to the OpenDNS servers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Early Out View Post
    It sounds like your domain simply hasn't propagated yet. Give it a little time.
    That's what I suspected, but if I 'ping mydomain.org' I get back the correctly ip address. That is, the ip address that works with <ip-address>/~userName.

  4. #4
    Early Out's Avatar
    Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sector R
    Posts
    4,643

    Default

    Can you give us a URL? Without being able to poke around, it's unlikely anyone will be able to shed any light.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Early Out View Post
    Can you give us a URL? Without being able to poke around, it's unlikely anyone will be able to shed any light.
    madriveru19.org.
    [C:\Temp]
    >ping madriveru19.org
    Pinging madriveru19.org [69.89.31.178] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 69.89.31.178: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=45
    etc.

    www.madriveru19.org -- address turns to just the ip, get the BlueHost message in the title....

    My old host had a "Total DNS" manager, and I recall tinkering with "A Records" (?!). Is there such a thing at BlueHost, and is that maybe where the problem is?

    TIA for any insight...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Ask live chat. It's giving a 302 'temporarily moved' redirect, the whois says the domain was last updated today though.

    Did you.. add the domain to your account? It has to be parked or added-onto your account, otherwise the DNS doesn't know where to point the request..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer08 View Post
    I am moving my web site from another host to BlueHost. While waiting for the nameserver changes to propagate, I installed WordPress to ftp://userName@<ip-address>/public_html. When I point the browser to <ip-address>/~userName, my site works as expected.

    When I point the browser to www.mydomain.org, I get the message in the title.
    Resolution:
    When installing WordPress using the <ip-address>/~userName connection, the ip-address ended up in a WordPress config file. When I fixed that, my web site works as expected.
    Thanks to the tech in the online chat with support last night. Recommended.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •