Thread: "There is no website configured at this address"

Default "There is no website configured at this address"

I am moving my web site from another host to BlueHost. While waiting for the nameserver changes to propagate, I installed WordPress to ftp://userName@<ip-address>/public_html. When I point the browser to <ip-address>/~userName, my site works as expected.

When I point the browser to www.mydomain.org, I get the message in the title.

What have I done wrong?

TIA...

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

It sounds like your domain simply hasn't propagated yet. Give it a little time. Actually, changes generally show up very, very quickly if you're pointing your PC or router to the OpenDNS servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Early Out View Post
    It sounds like your domain simply hasn't propagated yet. Give it a little time.
    That's what I suspected, but if I 'ping mydomain.org' I get back the correctly ip address. That is, the ip address that works with <ip-address>/~userName.

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

Can you give us a URL? Without being able to poke around, it's unlikely anyone will be able to shed any light.

Quote Originally Posted by Early Out View Post
    Can you give us a URL? Without being able to poke around, it's unlikely anyone will be able to shed any light.
    madriveru19.org.
    [C:\Temp]
    >ping madriveru19.org
    Pinging madriveru19.org [69.89.31.178] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 69.89.31.178: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=45
    etc.

www.madriveru19.org -- address turns to just the ip, get the BlueHost message in the title....

My old host had a "Total DNS" manager, and I recall tinkering with "A Records" (?!). Is there such a thing at BlueHost, and is that maybe where the problem is?

TIA for any insight...

Ask live chat. It's giving a 302 'temporarily moved' redirect, the whois says the domain was last updated today though.

Did you.. add the domain to your account? It has to be parked or added-onto your account, otherwise the DNS doesn't know where to point the request..

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer08 View Post
    I am moving my web site from another host to BlueHost. While waiting for the nameserver changes to propagate, I installed WordPress to ftp://userName@<ip-address>/public_html. When I point the browser to <ip-address>/~userName, my site works as expected.

When I point the browser to www.mydomain.org, I get the message in the title.
    Resolution:
    When installing WordPress using the <ip-address>/~userName connection, the ip-address ended up in a WordPress config file. When I fixed that, my web site works as expected.
    Thanks to the tech in the online chat with support last night. Recommended.