Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Make domain.com point to www.domain.com

i also tried this one
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.domain\.com
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    but still nothing.... why??? whyyyyyyyyyyyyy???:o :o :o

Do you have your .htaccess file in your root web directory, i.e., public_html?
    redsox9 - Go Red Sox!!! 2004 and 2007 World Series Champions!
    Visit FenwayFanatics.com, home to Boston Red Sox baseball fans everywhere... now on Facebook and Twitter!

yes

Quote Originally Posted by areidmtm View Post
    Open or create a .htaccess file in the /public_html/ directory (if the domain is an add-on domain, then the .htaccess file will be located in add-on domain's directory)

Put this at the top of the .htaccess file (replacing 'domain' with yours)

Code:
    Options +FollowSymlinks
    RewriteEngine on
    rewritecond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain.com [nc]
    rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.domain.com/$1 [r=301,nc]
    I'm sorry, and I know this has been asked before. I registered with godaddy, but then purchased the webhosting from BlueHost. How can I pull my domain from godaddy to bluehost?? YES, serious noob.

Quote Originally Posted by jdozer View Post
    I'm sorry, and I know this has been asked before. I registered with godaddy, but then purchased the webhosting from BlueHost. How can I pull my domain from godaddy to bluehost?? YES, serious noob.
    You edit the nameservers to change them to point to ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com

Default Set subdomain.maindomain.org to point to www.subdomain.org

Specific cPanel Subdomains & NetObjects Fusion Settings...

My goal was to set up a second domain under my main BlueHost account, i.e. I wanted to have separate websites for and which would have the following URLs:

www.maindomain.org
    www.subdomain.org

The steps needed turned out to be not very difficult but their order was critical. The primary domain is maindomain.org which has an associated cPanel login.

Step 1

Step 2

Next, add subdomain.org using cPanel. After logging into cPanel, go to “Domains” section and choose “Addon Domains”.

Select subdomain.org which should already be associated with the account.

Choose “Addon Domain” rather than “Parked”.

Create a new directory under the public_html box named “subdomain” (without quotes). i.e. html folders will be housed in public_html/subdomain/.

Set the subdomain to be subdomain.maindomain.org

Step 3

Go back to cPanel, now under Domains click on “Subdomains”.

If not created for you, create subdomain.maindomain.org and leave the document root blank, this should automatically set the document root to public_html/subdomain. You don’t need to redirect anything.

Step 4

Go back to cPanel, now under “Files” choose “FTP Accounts”.

Under “Add FTP Account” setup a login and password.
    Set directory to “subdomain” (without quotes). Click the “Create” button. You should now have an FTP user account of type “Sub Account” associated with directory [home]/public_html/subdomain

Step 5

Now open up NetObjects and go to the file tranfer settings (“Settings”) under the “Publish” view.

In the “Publish Settings” box, put in

Server type: FTP

Server: maindomain.org

Directory: (leave blank)

Username & password are as set up under the cPanel FTP account for subdomain.org (Step 4 above).

That should be it. Once you publish you should be able to display the subdomain home webpage using www.subdomain.org, and the main domain homepage using www.maindomain.org.

Lightbulb Tutorial

There's a good tutorial here. I used it for all my clients domains.

http://aruljohn.com/info/htaccess/

wondering do we need to make domain.com point to www.domain.com or it will happen automatically since domain name for both is same

If you use https you probably need to redirect to the www.example.com used on the certificate

If you use cookies my experience is to redirect to one or the other.

No https or cookies it does not matter as far as I know

While they both display the same page the two addresses mean that search engines treat them as different pages. Google allow you to tell them which address to use. If everyone links to the same address you are fine. The problem comes where you split incoming links between the two addresses and therefore rank lower in other search engines because each copy of the page only has half the links in.