Thread: Need to edit php.ini? (wordpress import)

Default Need to edit php.ini? (wordpress import)

Hello,

I'm brand new to Bluehost and pretty new to wordpress as well. I just got done manually recreating my blog (whose export function was useless) into a wordpress implementation on another host. I now want to import that into my new BH account. I successfully installed WP 2.3.3, but when importing, it says that the max import file size is 2MB. I believe the one I have is 3MB. I tried importing it anyway and get the following error:
    Sorry, there has been an error.

The uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize directive in php.ini.
    I've never worked with php files, I'm a developer, but have never gotten into php. I tried looking for this file on my site but don't see it anywhere. Can anyone give me a clue as to how I can get this to work? Thanks!

Levi

Ok, I did a little more digging and was able to create a master php.ini file in my root directory. I changed the upload max to 6M and saved it, but when I go to the import page, WP is still saying the max is 2M and indeed fails again when I try the import...

Do I need to reinstall WP for this to work? Does something need to be reset in order for the setting to actually be recognized by the system?

Default php.ini

Unless you are using php fastcgi you have to have a copy of php.ini in every directory that uses php.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesp View Post
    Unless you are using php fastcgi you have to have a copy of php.ini in every directory that uses php.
    Thanks, Charles! I copied it into a couple of wp subfolders and that did the trick!

Levi