Thread: Java version newer than 1.4.2?

Default Java version newer than 1.4.2?

Hello,

I'm trying to run a custom Java app on the bluehost servers. I can see the default version installed appears to be 1.4.2 but I need at least 1.5. If there is a newer version installed elsewhere on the BH servers, can someone point me there please?

Thanks!

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

Java is installed on your PC, not on the servers. Go to http://www.java.com, and install the latest (1.6.5, I believe).

I don't believe there's any way to run a Java application on the BH servers.

I'm running java 1.6.02 on my local machine.

It is possible to run a Java app on the BH servers... you either need SSH access (which I don't have and I won't have because I'm not sending them a copy of my driver's license) or you need to create a PHP script to launch the java app, which is what I did. When I do that, I get an error (from the Java install on the BH server) telling me I'm using the wrong version of Java. I tried recompiling my app on my local machine in the Java 1.4 compliance mode but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Hence, I need to know the fully qualified path to a newer JRE on the BH boxes, if there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreenOfTOM View Post
    It is possible to run a Java app on the BH servers...
    To be brutally frank: No.

When I do that, I get an error (from the Java install on the BH server) telling me I'm using the wrong version of Java.
    Java is not installed on any Bluehost server.

Hence, I need to know the fully qualified path to a newer JRE on the BH boxes, if there is one.
    There isn't.

Sorry to be so terse. Don't know how else to put it. Do a Google search for Java (or J2EE) hosting if you want to run Java apps on a remote host.

Dave

Please explain why when I run the following on my bluehost account:

<?php
    echo shell_exec("java -version 2>&1");
    ?>

I get the following output:

java version "1.4.2" gcj (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-9) Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I'm NOT trying to run a web application. I understand you need Tomcat or Websphere or something along those lines to do that. I'm just trying to run a plain old java application.
    Last edited by BlueScreenOfTOM; 04-27-2008 at 05:09 PM.

You have my humblest apology.

Seems that I don't know as much as I thought I did. It never occurred to me that gcj might be installed.

Again, sorry (he said, red-faced).

Dave

Default Later version of Java

Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreenOfTOM View Post
    Why don't you store a later JRE in your home/bin directory and run that?