Thread: FTP connecting, but not showing any of my files

Default FTP connecting, but not showing any of my files

I setup an FTP account for my bluehost account because I was getting tired of using the file managers. I am using the FireFTP plugin for firefox. I successfully use this program to FTP with another site I run that is not on bluehost, however, after I setup an FTP account through the cpanel, I am not seeing any of my files that are within the bluehost account. The program connects successfully, and I even see bluehost's favicon in the current location bar of the ftp program, however my files are not showing up.

In the location bar of the ftp program it just shows a "/" rather than a "/home/blahblahblah" or something to that effect. Trying to put the directory into the location manually just gives me an error that there is no such directory there.

I know that's not much to go on, but any help would be appreciated,
    Morgan

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

You don't need to set up an FTP account through cPanel. In fact, it sounds as if you might have created such an account, but linked it to a directory that's empty.

Just launch your FTP client program, connect to www.yourdomain.com, and login with your BH username and password.

Aha, I figured it out now.

Logging on using www.mydomain.com along with my blue host credentials did not work for me for some reason. I even tried switching the www to ftp.

However, I went back and looked at the ftp login that I had created and discovered that it was pointing to a non-existent directory. The ftp login manager attempts to auto generate what directory it thinks the ftp should point to, based on the username you enter. So I deleted the login that had been created, and this time switched the directory back to the home directory rather than the one that was auto generated.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

Ah, yes, software that tries to "do you a favor!" I hate that. :)

Glad you got it sorted.