Thread: Cygwin forum?

Default Cygwin forum?

Has anyone found a forum where Cygwin users ask and answer questions?

There are thousands of forums on the internet, but I have not found even one where there is a forum with a lively discussion about Cygwin, the Linux-like environment that makes Windows tolerable.

Being forced as I am to use Windows in my new job, I find that I am relying heavily on Cygwin to maintain my sanity. I am running into small problems that others may have solved, but I have no forum to ask questions. There is an email list, but I don't like those. I want a forum.

Is there one?

You can try accessing Usenet through Google Groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/USENE...win?hl=en&lnk=

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    You can try accessing Usenet through Google Groups
    Thank you. That's at least something. Although it looks like there are less than 3 questions per month and not many answers.

The administrator at The UNIX Forums has offered to create a forum for Cygwin if I will advocate it. I'm weighing the bother/reward ratio right now. I'll probably go for it if I can't find another.

But I just can't believe there isn't already a site with a Cygwin forum! I visit about 10 Linux-oriented forum sites, and there's probably 100 more with at least some traffic. I think I've met more people who have experimented with Cygwin than Linux. So why isn't there a prominent Cygwin forum site?? It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
    Has anyone found a forum where Cygwin users ask and answer questions?

There are thousands of forums on the internet, but I have not found even one where there is a forum with a lively discussion about Cygwin, the Linux-like environment that makes Windows tolerable.

Being forced as I am to use Windows in my new job, I find that I am relying heavily on Cygwin to maintain my sanity. I am running into small problems that others may have solved, but I have no forum to ask questions. There is an email list, but I don't like those. I want a forum.

Is there one?
    Sourceforge.net is very useful and they have a ton of forums.

I'll bet they have a CYGWIN forum.

http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    You can try accessing Usenet through Google Groups:
    Dave
    Forgive the off-topic followup, but this touches on something I wanted to know. Do you mean that BlueHost doesn't offer Usenet? I've tried finding it, but it doesn't appear to be a service here. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Usenet? PC Magazine had a column recently titled, R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008. Also, I don't think I've even heard anyone say the word Usenet in years.

Besides, there are literally thousands of forums like this one on every conceivable topic (except perhaps Cygwin). What could Usenet have that a suitable forum doesn't?

Hey! The question was related, if not perfectly on topic, so there's no need to lock this thread.

Default Cygwin Forums

I just ran across this post, and wanted to provide a link to the cygwin forums you were asking about.

http://www.cygwinforums.com

@cygwinForums - the site isn't active. I went there and registered, but nothing ever posts. There are hundreds of members listed, but only 2 posts show up, both from the admin. I think the guy set up the forum and then just left it.

Here's a link to another forum, I can't vouch for it but at least there are some posts there.

http://old.nabble.com/Cygwin-f12165.html
    Last edited by farcaster; 04-19-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: please don't use short links

check the following liinks:
    1. old.nabble.com/Cygwin-f12165.html
    2. redhat.com/services/custom/cygwin/

or use my method, when you have a problem, type it in Google and let him do the work