Thread: "Service Temporarily Unavailable"

Default "Service Temporarily Unavailable"

Dear all,
    Sometimes I can't access my website, I got 503 Error with following message:

"The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Do you have any idea what could be the reason ? Could be caused by scripts ?

Your answer appreciated.

KG

They tell you the reason with the error message - "due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems"

adddfico Guest

It's still a pretty generic error. Try asking support to help you troubleshoot the problem with your site?

I asked LIVE support at least 3 times, they said they didn't know ...and they said "BlueHost is ok" ...

I think BlueHost has more clients (accounts) than the maximal capacity they are able to host, that's why it causes downtime, increases access time to our websites ....

KG
    Last edited by khacgia; 08-10-2008 at 02:44 PM.

It is probably just limited to your server and perhaps just your account.

Without knowing what it is you are running on your account it is just about impossible to say whether the cause is more likely something you have done or something someone else on the same server has done although it is far more likely to be something you have done.

khacgia,

I assume that you are running FastCGI for your applications, correct? Bluehost limits you to 5 concurrent FastCGI processes at one time. If you exhaust the 5 (high traffic, poorly optimized scripts that cause processing delays, etc.), you will see a 503. FastCGI is the only thing, presently, that will yield a 503 as far as I am aware, but I could easily be wrong as the Apache configuration changes fairly regularly. Solutions are going to vary based on your setup, but usually you can make a huge difference by optimizing your scripts (caching can help dramatically) so that each request is completed more quickly thus opening the process up to serve other requests. You could also shut off FastCGI, but see a bit of a performance decline.

Thank cade, for your reply

I don't use FastCGI. I have regular PHP scripts with MySQL, that's it.

KG

could your script sending a 503 error? try making a plain text html file and load it. also go into your cpanel. on the left sidebar, it will say:
    Server Name boxXXX

tell us what the number is. this might help

Evil_Dictator Guest

Yes, please tell us your domain name so we can take a look. That doesn't sound like one of Bluehost domain names.

in the pass 2 days .. my bluehost and hostmonster site was down oftenly.
    hard to get to support through live chat.

once hostmonster support told me the support is doing maintenance on server.
    i had 8 hours downtime on that day. :(
    Charles Gan
    www.bluehostreview.org : Bluehost reviews hosted at bluehost:cool: