Thread: Yahoo POP email retrieval problem

Default Yahoo POP email retrieval problem

I'm posting here because my problem is also related to Yahoo mail, but it's a little different. Or maybe it's similar but I don't know enough to realize that.

I've just tried to forward a new email account hosted at bluehost to Yahoo mail. It goes through okay, I can send mail from Yahoo, and I receive mail at Yahoo.

The problem is that it doesn't work correctly if I choose the option to retrieve new messages only. When I choose that, I get an error of "lastUnsupported" in the new Yahoo mail, or "POP server does not support LAST command. You may only retrieve POP mail from this server using 'get all messages'." in the classic Yahoo mail. If I don't choose new messages only, every message (old and new) in the bluehost mail account comes through when I check mail. That's not really an acceptable option to have every message come into my inbox again every time.

Is this a Yahoo problem or a bluehost problem? Is there a way to correct it?

Thanks for any help.

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

That's purely a Yahoo issue, apparently involving the way they've implemented POP email retrieval. Using a standard email client program like Outlook Express, retrieving only new messages works just fine from a BH email account.

(Split from original thread - a different issue entirely.)

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry about adding this problem to the other thread.

I've been checking with Yahoo too though, and they say that it's a bluehost problem, which is kind of frustrating. According to Yahoo, the bluehost server must not support the LAST command.

Based on the fact that there are other people retrieving mail through Yahoo (since there are threads with other issues), it must be possible to make this work. I must be missing something on either the bluehost end or the Yahoo end, but I just need someone to help me figure out what it could be.

Default RE: Yahoo POP email retrieval problem

I am having the exact same problem. Did anyone ever figure this out? :(

As the problem only happens if you use Yahoo for your email the simplest fix is to switch to using any of the hundreds of other email programs that are available.

While I personally use Gmail for my web POP mail retrieval, I have a client (touring musician) who uses and has used an sbcglobal/yahoo account for years. This client would prefer to check all of her mail in one place. I did recommend that she switch to gmail.

I am generally concerned about the apparent issues between Bluehost and Yahoo (i.e. - forwarded mail through Bluehost is rejected by the Yahoo server and this web POP mail issue). I am curious if this is a widespread problem with other hosts? I just don't want my clients getting antsy about switching to a different host.

Quote Originally Posted by photonomad View Post
    While I personally use Gmail for my web POP mail retrieval, I have a client (touring musician) who uses and has used an sbcglobal/yahoo account for years. This client would prefer to check all of her mail in one place. I did recommend that she switch to gmail.

I am generally concerned about the apparent issues between Bluehost and Yahoo (i.e. - forwarded mail through Bluehost is rejected by the Yahoo server and this web POP mail issue). I am curious if this is a widespread problem with other hosts? I just don't want my clients getting antsy about switching to a different host.
    Two words come to mind here ... "Spam Filter"

Yahoo and MSN have got some of the tightest, most rediculous, spam filtering configurations ... they are both worthless IMO.

If you are afraid to use your own domain email addresses, want to view your mail all in one place, and receive the least amount of spam doing it, I'll suggest you run with Google IMAP configurations in your Outlook or Thunderbird. You'll be talking directly to Google Mail Servers.

I never could understand why people would want to use a free service anyway, when their webhosting accounts have some of the strongest and very best mail server software there is, especially those that would run under the Linux platform.

These problems are usually only about as widespread as there are people who would choose to negate the strengths of the mail servers they are paying for with their webhosting accounts.
    Last edited by WebshoppeSolutions; 10-01-2009 at 12:51 AM.