My subdomain will not appear in browser
I have had a main domain at Bluehost for a few years now (mimenta.com). I added a sub domain (mimentum.com) 2 years ago and removed it last year. I was sure I got to the sub domain just by typing http://www.mimentum.com
When I did the same stuff again with my new site (www.kitchenheadquarters.org) and tried to view the site in my browser, I don't get my index.html page for www.kitchenheadquarters.org
I get an index that lists the files and if I click on the Index.html page it comes up for the kitchenheadquarters.org/index.html page without any graphics.
The file structure of the main domain (mimenta_Art) (which runs perfectly) is:
index.html located in public_html directory
site files (including all other pages & images) in Mimenta_Art directory
The file structure for the new addon domain (Kitchenheadquarters.org) is:
index.html located in kitchenheadquarters directory in public_html
all other files for this site are also in the kitchenheadquarters directory in public_html
The only thing I notice is that the htaccess file in the kitchenheadquarters directory seems too small - only one line in it. saying "# Use PHP5 as default
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php"
Why can't I access the www.kitchenheadquarters.org site?
Have I set it up wrong or is the htaccess file faulty?
First, these are addon domains, not subdomains. A subdomain of mimenta.com would look like something.mimenta.com. A subdomain doesn't have to be registered, since it's just a subset of your primary domain. An addon domain, on the other hand, is a domain that you have registered separately, and want to host on your BH account. To the outside world, it appears to be a domain that's completely independent of your primary domain.
To get it to show up properly, you need to go through the Control Panel/Addon Domain routine to have that new domain added to your account. If you've already entered it as a subdomain, you need to remove it before making it an addon domain (happily, none of this will mess with your files for the new domain, which are exactly where they need to be).
If you actually did go through the CP/Addon Domain routine, try removing it, and re-adding it.
I would also suggest renaming Index.html to index.html (lower case). Server files are case-sensitive, so using upper case can sometimes cause odd behavior.
Did the Add on thing exactly as you said - I own the domain names - (bought through BH)
Will try removing from add on and re-adding.
Will also change Index to index - forgot Linux servers are case sensitive - doh!
(Should have known - SuSe user for years - since 10.1)
I went nuts and changed every file name that had any upper case letters all to lower case. Took ages (I discovered I have a compulsion to start a file name with a capital!)
I can now get the index.html page up by typing "www.kitchenheadquarters.org" and all the links to other pages work perfectly but I get no images at all.
I have checked the links in Dreamweaver and they are all perfect. I can view it perfectly in my browser pointing to the site folder on my PC but in Bluehost, the image links aren't working for some reason.
(I see another thread that seems to have this concern - I'll follow it up. If it solves the problem - I'll reply here so that anyone following this has a total fix).
You've still got a lot of mixed cases in there. It's tough to sort it all out, but the mix of cases seems to be interfering with the page loading.
Truth be told, I'm sorry I mentioned the upper/lower case issue. I thought that changing Index.html might straighten things out. Other than that, as long as everything matches, it's OK. It's just that people tend to wander between upper and lower case, and that's what gets them into trouble, so it's good practice to stick to lower case for everything.
If you can revert to a saved version, you should probably do so - wipe out what's on the server, and upload again.
Last edited by Early Out; 06-13-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Will delete from server and reload a pure version.
It seems the site retained some of the original files rather than overwrite them all.
I'll delete the lot and start again with a clean set of site files.
Man this is so annoying - this is just the "coming soon" site - the final is huge. I'm not looking forward to this project!
Oh well when all else fails - resort to humour - now where did I park my humour?
Images not appearing on addon website
The cause of the problem is Hotlink protection - it blocks images (jpg,gif,png,bmp) from opening, leaving just a text based site appearing on your browser.
Go to cPanel's Security section
Select Hotlink Ptrotection
Add your new site - you need to add it twice (assuming your site is called sitename.com):
once as http://www.sitename.com
and again as http://sitename.com
You have to type these in under your existing site name in to panel.
Click Submit and exit.
When you shut down your browser and reopen it then go to your addon site, it should appear in all it's glory.
Oh, geez, I'm embarrassed! I just moved some of my own stuff from an existing subdomain to a new one, and the images disappeared. I knew pretty quickly what I had to do, since the site was working fine before I moved it - it couldn't have been anything wrong with the pages themselves. You would think that I'd have recognized the symptoms when they popped up on your site!
There's actually a quicker fix than manually adding the new site. Just disable Hotlink Protection, then enable it again. When you enable it, the cPanel routine automatically adds any and all of your addon domains and subdomains. So, if you've added a new addon or subdomain, that will pick it up.
Tags for this Thread