Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to Install Wordpress with decent security from the get go.

Hi, I clicked Overwrite anyway but this was the message I got:

"Database Import Failed

We tried importing the database structure to your database, but failed. This may be due to inaccurate database connection information or there may be some database tables that couldn't be added due to duplicate names/prefixes. You may want to try another database."

Why is this happening? Could anyone offer a suggestion or advice please? Pretty helpless and in a total fix right now.

This is with regards to this post here.
    Last edited by natebhtan; 04-10-2010 at 10:50 AM.

I'm guessing this shouldn't matter but just wanna know if my domain name is from another provider but I've pointed the DNS to BH's. Should I still put the server as "Localhost" or "box374.bluehost.com"?

The database is created locally so I don't think it matters right? :confused:

Chasing the Holy Grail - Pacific Northwest

It's always localhost regardless of who provides DNS.
    In the Hyperion universe, a farcaster is an instantaneous transportation device.
    Experience: The thing you get just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by natebhtan View Post
    Haha, it'd be completely lovely if it could materialise. Imagine the admin panel for Wordpress is like NetVibe or ThunderBird, where you can access all your Wordpress blogs on the same panel.

But I'd reckon that's a massive project. Although it would take the blogging sector with a massive storm, but with welcoming hands no less.
    It wasn't that massive a project as it has been done by at least one person already - see http://striderweb.com/nerdaphernalia...ual-multiblog/ - note that I still haven't figured out how to actually get that to work.

Hey Stephan, I'm so glad you're here. On my previous post here, I mentioned I got a 2nd error message, which I don't quite understand why. Maybe if you could, please kindly offer me a suggestion how I could work around that issue?

Also, could I just create WordPress on SimpleScripts the conventional way, then after which create the backup database, change table prefix and also add in the cron job? Cos' I can't stuck here forever without knowing what exactly is the issue I can't install Wordpress with the database I created...

in your computer, messin with your stuff.

Make sure you're using the right username in your database connection information. We created two (one for backups, and one for regular use). The one for backups has limited permissions, so if you try to use the backup user as the main user it won't work.

If you're sure you're using the right username, check the permissions for it. You can do so by clicking on this specific username next to the database name.

Question Database Import Failed :(

Hi EricJ,

Thank you for taking the time to post these instructions.

I followed the steps, unfortunately, when I tried to install Wordpress I got the following message:

"Database Import Failed
    We tried importing the necessary database, but failed. This may be due to inaccurate database connection information or there may be some database tables that couldn't be added due to duplicate names/prefixes. You may want to try another database." The error message looks similar to that of natebhtan mentioned in his post earlier.

I have enabled All Privileges for the Main User. I checked several times that I used the Main User username and password.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!

-----------------------------------------

Edited to add:

I did it a second time and figured out where I went wrong. Here it is, if it would help anyone else:

When you copy the database usernames to the texteditor, click Go Back first, and then copy the database names from the Database Page. Otherwise you will only have part of the usernames. The confirmation page only gives you the part that you created, even though it is presented as if it is the complete username. There's a prefix, the username BH has give you, usually the first few letters of your primary domain name.

I believe this is an issue with BH updating/changing wording and pages. I am guessing that when EricJ last updated the instructions in Jan 2010, the confirmation page gave the entire database name, but now it only gives the portion you created.
    Last edited by Sunlight; 06-21-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Problem solved!

I have a concern / question. Appreciate any light anyone can shed on this. During my second go at installing (see my remarks above), the Wordpress username and password EricJ says not to save on the computer autofilled as soon as I typed the first character! I didn't even copy it to the text editor the first time and I never save passwords on my computer. Does this mean all of this work I did is for nought, and they are now saved somewhere in my computer in autofill-land? What a bummer. Anything I can do about it? As far as deleting them from where ever they are hiding in my computer. I am on a Mac on Safari. I went through the installation process a third time (did the install steps but didn't actually install by hitting the button), and this time they did not autofill! I have no idea why that is. Perhaps because the process was completed the second time.

Any thoughts / help appreciated!

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Sunlight; 06-21-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Default Automated Database Backups section has changed..

EricJ,

Thank you again for taking the time and to post these instructions.

While I was on the Automated Database Backups section of the instructions,

I clicked on Cron Jobs in cpanel.
    At this point, there was no "Advance (Unix Style) to click. It looks like BH has changed the page since you last updated the instructions. There's also no box to put in the "code".

It is greatly appreciated if you can take a look at the new Cron Jobs page and let us know how it should be done in the new setup. Since I am still on this step, I didn't do the 'wp_config.php Permissions Fix yet, not knowing if it would mess things up if I skipped steps. I hope nothing's changed in that section!

Thank you for your time.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Last edited by Sunlight; 06-21-2010 at 07:53 PM.

in your computer, messin with your stuff.

Yeah, there is a new cron jobs utility that is much easier to use, but i haven't had time to update the tutorial yet, sorry.

It's okay if it autofilled it. Autofill isn't the end of the world, but you may want to check the settings on your browser to keep it from saving the information that you don't want it to save.

I've been juggling full time work and double full time school, so i haven't had much time lately.. I'll see if I can update it soon. Sorry you were having problems with it.