Thread: How long, REALLY, does it take to transfer a domain?

Default How long, REALLY, does it take to transfer a domain?

I know the standard story of 24-72 hours, or however long it is, but I'm wondering what the real time frame turns out to be.

Newer BH customers, how long did it take for your domain to be transferred to BlueHost?

Patience was never one of my strong points.

Thanks,
    Lisa

I've transferred several domains to Bluehost it takes about one day.

Thanks, bobdog. Anyone else?

Kimbulo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fritchelsnit View Post
    I know the standard story of 24-72 hours, or however long it is, but I'm wondering what the real time frame turns out to be.

Newer BH customers, how long did it take for your domain to be transferred to BlueHost?

Thanks,
    Lisa
    It really all just depends on where your transferring from.
    Last edited by Early Out; 08-03-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks,
    Lisa
    From what I've seen, there are two separate issues involved in switching over a domain:

1) The original registrar needs to make the transfer. (This can vary from one registrar to another.)

2) Once the domain has been transferred and the nameserver settings have been changed, the new DNS information needs to be propagated through various cached versions of the DNS information on a number of servers. (This is the time that's typically guesstimated at 24 to 72 hours.)

One way that I believe you can speed up propagation is to use http://www.OpenDNS.org for your own DNS lookup. I've had new domain names start getting resolved in a matter of hours by using them.

It all depends on which DNS your visitors are using. Some DNS will pick up the domain move 5 minutes after you make it. Some will still not have the update a month later. Most pick it up within 48 - 72 hours.

Thanks everyone for your info. Now I'm being told by BH that I may have to wait up to SEVENTEEN DAYS before my domain transfers. I'm a bit confused as all the info on BH, and all you guys have said, is different. VERY frustrating. I've been emailing support on both sides, both BH and losing registrar, and nobody seems to be able to help me get this expedited.

Anyways - just venting here - thanks again to those of you who answered my post.

I've been emailing support on both sides, both BH and losing registrar, and nobody seems to be able to help me get this expedited.
    Now you are talking about changing registrars where before you were talking about transferring a domain - that is something completely different. It doesn't really matter how long it takes to change registrars since no one but you and the two registrars knows about it. It is only when you transfer a domain from pointing to one hosting to pointing to a different hosting that it affects anyone trying to visit your site.