Thread: Domain Assignment

Default Domain Assignment

Hi. I bought domain from networksolutions.com and have assigned the name servers to ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com. Now I log in to my bluehost cPanel and try to assign the domain to my account, but this is what I get:

The domain "example.com" is currently the Primary domain on the example.com account. You cannot assign it to this account at this time.

Anyone knows, what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

You need to make the domain you purchased an addon domain on your BH account. If you want this new domain name to be your primary domain, you'll need to talk to BH support about it.

That's exactly what I did, using the BH->CPanel->Domain Manager->Assign Domain, and that's the error that I got (The domain "example.com" is currently the Primary domain on the example.com account. You cannot assign it to this account at this time.)

CPanel -> Addon Domains. Not Domain Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Early Out View Post
    CPanel -> Addon Domains. Not Domain Manager.
    Thanks for taking your time to help. I just tried it as you suggested - it turns out to be the same page as I used before, just a different way to navigate to it. This is the url I see when on that page: "https://www.bluehost.com/cgi/hosting/assign".

:confused:

OK, let's review.

You have a primary domain for your BH account. Let's say it's example.com. You can't change that without going through BH support - there is no cPanel option to change it.

Now you have purchased a new domain from networksolutions. Let's say it's newexample.com. On the domain registrar site, you need to point that domain to BH's nameservers, ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com.

Now you go to cPanel, Addon Domains. Choose "Use a domain that is not already associated with your account," and enter newexample.com. Choose Addon Domain, enter the name of a subdirectory to house the files for newexample.com, and click Add Domain.

If this isn't working, you have loused up something, and you need to get on Live Chat with BH support to sort it out.

Yep, those exact steps. Anyways, I'ma try get on the live chat as you advise. Thanks for helping :)

If I understood right, your domain is already assigned to other bluehost customer as primary domain.

Quote Originally Posted by KazanDaemon View Post
    If I understood right, your domain is already assigned to other bluehost customer as primary domain.
    If that were true, how could he have registered the domain?

Quote Originally Posted by Early Out View Post
    If that were true, how could he have registered the domain?
    It's may be very easy.

Some customer in past may registered this domain and signed up with it. But now he doesn't need it and didn't prolong (renew) it and it have expired. Customer is still using addon domains on his account, but he can't unlink primary domain because it is impossible without contacting support.