Thread: GoDaddy DNS and Bluehost Hosting Questions

Default GoDaddy DNS and Bluehost Hosting Questions

I have a domain registered with GoDaddy. I wish to use Bluehost as the website host. I also want to keep DNS control with GoDaddy and do not want to manage DNS stuff like subdomains, MX records, etc at Bluehost.

For my main site hosted with Bluehost, I will be using my naked domain (no www).

How do I configure the DNS server settings and A records at GoDaddy so I can accomplish this. Here is how things would map...

USING GODADDY DNS
    mydomain.com -> mydomain.com (Bluehost)
    www.mydomain.com -> mydomain.com (Bluehost)

I have already created the addon domain at Bluehost. Can I now just point the A Record for the domain to the IP at Bluehost?

Default Just point your A record to your IP

The A record is very simple. Just change it to point to your new IP address. Bluehost will do the rest.

As for the other settings - that is my question, it's what I am searching these forums for.

If anyone knows how to point, from Godaddy, to the Bluehost MX records I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

you can use box###.bluehost.com as your MX record, where ### is the server number your account is on... or you can set up the mail subdomain in the GoDaddy DNS, use mail.yourdomain.com as the MX, and set the A record for the mail subdomain to your bluehost server IP.

You just need to edit the Name server records - something like nsx.bluehost.com (or so, which is given in welcome message) at godaddy. No other change required.
    Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
    Hostmonster? Get a Hostmonster Coupon or read Hostmonster Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alemcherry View Post
    You just need to edit the Name server records
    That moves everything and the OP only wants to move mail so they definitely do NOT want to do that.

As a complete novice in this regard, would you be able to type out what this would look like in the DNZ Zone entry on the cPanel? Would the A record contain an entry with the name mail.domain.com using the Bluehost server IP?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
    you can use box###.bluehost.com as your MX record, where ### is the server number your account is on... or you can set up the mail subdomain in the GoDaddy DNS, use mail.yourdomain.com as the MX, and set the A record for the mail subdomain to your bluehost server IP.