Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bluehost problems

Thank god, I thought it was only me, but then saw all the replies.

5 of the websites a friend and I own are not working, I have 3 and he has 2, on different boxes and both are down.

Hope it works again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualGilad View Post

Does anyone here have any thoughts about general BlueHost reliability? Any changes in recent months?
    No, I've been using BlueHost for 3 years, and I rarely have problems. Last one I can remember was some months ago when there was major power outage in the area where BlueHost is located. I think it may have been in April this year... maybe May. It was probably a year or more before that for any previous issues. And I had no issues this morning either.

I just managed to get through to tech support. It's astonishing (because of the level of snafu that must be involved to bypass or overwhelm so many redundancy and fallback assets) but their datacenter has suffered a major power outage. The poor tech support guy himself had no access to a working computer; according to him, that's also why a notice on the server status page doesn't go up. As a matter of fact, even their main domain name servers are down (try to ping them: ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com - all packets are dropped).

So, to recap, it looks pretty much like a systemic outage, and I'm sure everybody on the team is working up a storm fixing the issues to bring the entire system back up online, which may well have hours of trailing effects.

It's useless to be angry at them; they're doing the very best they can, they're quite capable people and over the (now) more than three years I am with Bluehost, this is the first time I've experienced such a baffling mishap. Let's just hope that they don't have to give up and resort to system backups, as those tend to drop quite a few days of data. But it's better than nothing, especially for those customers who have an aversion to backups. And I also look forward to understanding what it is that went haywire, as it must be a pretty impressive "perfect storm" to bring no less than an entire datacenter down.

So, little else to do than to just sit tight and keep our fingers crossed.

And: good thing that the forum is located elsewhere!

Chasing the Holy Grail - Pacific Northwest

Quote Originally Posted by Denisonsn View Post
    Well my site got a lil down today, and now this big down, its really sucks, but I hope they fix it in less than 7h...
    Or at least tell us something...
    At this point, probably all of the major players at Bluehost are back at the office working on this.

Since they are up to their necks, they may or may not post here right away.
    In the Hyperion universe, a farcaster is an instantaneous transportation device.
    Experience: The thing you get just after you need it.

The only complaints I might have had with Bluehost, would've been that they don't have dedicated boxes for lease, and that stupid postini pop-up I get when I login .. otherwise, I've been happy with them. I've only had to call support twice in a year .. once because they asked me to confirm something, and once again in an attempt to upload a database that turned out to be worthless anyway ..

No worries .. no problems ..

Same problem here. I have a few accounts with Bluehost. Good to see there are other people with the same problem. Kind of annoying that their server status says everything is OK when it obviously isn't. They could probably cut down on a lot of customer service calls that way, or complaints on the forums anyway. Hopefully they'll be back up and running soon!

Quote Originally Posted by adegivesmas View Post
    I just managed to get through to tech support. It's astonishing (because of the level of snafu that must be involved to bypass or overwhelm so many redundancy and fallback assets) but their datacenter has suffered a major power outage. The poor tech support guy himself had no access to a working computer; according to him, that's also why a notice on the server status page doesn't go up. As a matter of fact, even their main domain name servers are down (try to ping them: ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com - all packets are dropped).

So, to recap, it looks pretty much like a systemic outage, and I'm sure everybody on the team is working up a storm fixing the issues to bring the entire system back up online, which may well have hours of trailing effects.

It's useless to be angry at them; they're doing the very best they can, they're quite capable people and over the (now) more than three years I am with Bluehost, this is the first time I've experienced such a baffling mishap. Let's just hope that they don't have to give up and resort to system backups, as those tend to drop quite a few days of data. But it's better than nothing, especially for those customers who have an aversion to backups. And I also look forward to understanding what it is that went haywire, as it must be a pretty impressive "perfect storm" to bring no less than an entire datacenter down.

No dropped packets here in Texas .. bluehost.com comes up just fine ..

From Blue Host (this may be just before whatever failed though):

General systems alerts
    (updated: 2010-09-16 21:40:19) no known issues: status ok Alerts affecting all servers
    (updated: 2010-09-16 21:40:19) no known issues: status ok

This response to my domain query was after the failure though:

box402.bluehost.com (remove this server from list)
    Primary domain: vintageradio.com antiqueradio.net quilts.biz
    Server Load: ok
    Services:

Just FYI.

Jon Hall

You should see all the bluehost comments on twitter. It's staggering.

Then there is this: http://www.prospectmx.com/bluehost-s...medium=twitter

This is the second time in three years I've seen something like this...so all in all, I can't complain.

Chasing the Holy Grail - Pacific Northwest

Quote Originally Posted by adegivesmas View Post

Thanks for what you have found out. I haven't been able to get through yet.

One correction for you. The Bluehost Forums are located at Bluehost and running on a dedicated server. As is the Home Page for Bluehost, which is coming up. The problem has to be localized somewhere.
    In the Hyperion universe, a farcaster is an instantaneous transportation device.
    Experience: The thing you get just after you need it.