Thread: "451 Temporary local problem" email sending problem

Default "451 Temporary local problem" email sending problem

Hello,

Many, many of my users who host on Bluehost/Hostmonster are seeing this error in their error logs, when attempting to send mail using my program (Dada Mail) via sendmail:

Code:
    didn't close pipe to '|/usr/sbin/sendmail because: 

451 Temporary local problem - please try later
    I'd like to know what, 451 Temporary local problem - please try later means. If it's purely a mail server problem, I'd like to be able to code Dada Mail in a way that can react to a mail server problem - basically by backing off attempting to send mail.

If this is different problem, I'd also like to know. One problem that comes to mind is when a user goes over their hourly email sending quota - this doesn't appear to be the error that you'll get if you go over such a quota - or is it?

It's really hard to figure this all out, especially the latter, as there's no way that I know to programmaticly find what that hourly email quota is. I've heard it's anywhere from 50 to 750 messages/hour.

can anyone shed any light?

Quote Originally Posted by leaddadaist View Post
    I've heard it's anywhere from 50 to 750 messages/hour.
    There are two different limits. One for those people who have specifically requested an increase (which I think is currently 750 - it used to be 500). The second limit applies to everyone else (it used to be 50, it has been increased since but I am bot sure what it is currently).

I did a quick search to see what I could find out about the error message and those references that I found that gave any sort of answer to what the message means mentioned that it relates to a DNS error and the sending server name not resolving properly. That doesn't sound like it relates to send limits.