Thread: Git & Subversion are now available.

Default Git & Subversion are now available.

Git and Subversion are now available on all of Bluehost's servers (no more compiling!). I figured folks would like to know since there has been discussion of them off and on over the years.

Hi, how do I get svn or git on my hosting account? Do I need to go through ssh or is there an easier way to do it? I checked under cpanel and I am not seeing it listed anywhere.

Chasing the Holy Grail - Pacific Northwest

They appear to be available at the ssh level.

I found the following git commands:
    git gitk git-shell git-upload-pack git-cvsserver git-receive-pack git-upload-archive
    I found the following svn commands:
    svn svnadmin svndumpfilter svnlook svnserve svnsync svnversion
    In the Hyperion universe, a farcaster is an instantaneous transportation device.
    Experience: The thing you get just after you need it.

Is there a way to access SVN from my Windows desktop using TortoiseSVN or command line client? In other words, does BlueHost host repositories created from the SSH command line session remotely?

Quote Originally Posted by cade View Post
    Git and Subversion are now available on all of Bluehost's servers [...]
    Brilliant! Any more information on this? Where to plave the repo(s)? Will this allow anonymous (read) access "from the outside"? I.e. will this appear as "any old SVN server on the net"? Or will SVN+SSH still be needed?

Quote Originally Posted by cade View Post
    I figured folks would like to know since there has been discussion of them off and on over the years.
    Yrs! I actually have been reading about hosting Subversion on Bluehost to and fro during the last year. Just yesterday I signed up and was preparing for compiling the SVN server myself. I'll stop and wait for answer, or pointers to help..

Quote Originally Posted by deanhouseholder View Post
    Is there a way to access SVN from my Windows desktop using TortoiseSVN or command line client? In other words, does BlueHost host repositories created from the SSH command line session remotely?
    I'm wondering the same thing, does anyone have answer to this?

Thumbs up

It's been a while since anyone posted to this, any latest news on this subject, or any answer to OBD2's question?

I'm mostly posting in here because a) I haven't posted much before but I have to say something and b) I'm happy to have learned this!... I've searched bluehost forums for git before, but it's too **** short of a term and is rejected by the search engine.

So... Thumbs up, gonna try git tonight.

I wanted to setup a git repository, and found this howto on setting up a git repository. Since git is already installed, I only had to start on step three: http://githowto.com/create_a_project

Based on the current directory, a .git folder is made that holds the special information.

From my homedir ( type pwd, you should see something like /home#/username ) I made a folder called git_test and went to that folder ( cd git_test ... another 'pwd' command will now show /home#/username/git_test )
    I typed git init
    and how if I type 'ls -al' I see the hidden folder: .git
    don't actually enter the .git folder. Stay in git_test and make a testfile:
    vi testfile
    (push i to get into text entry mode, add some random test, press "escape" to get out of text entry mode and then :wq (this means write and quit)

now type git add testfile
    type 'git status' for a listing of what could happen, and you'll seen an uncommitted file. From here we either commit or re-checkout the file
    git commit -m "This is when I added the testfile"

I'm going to refer you to the howto now. Hopefully I didn't get any of this incorrect since I'm going off my memory from about 10 minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by generalanders View Post
    I wanted to setup a git repository, and found this howto on setting up a git repository. Since git is already installed, I only had to start on step three: http://githowto.com/create_a_project

Based on the current directory, a .git folder is made that holds the special information.

From my homedir ( type pwd, you should see something like /home#/username ) I made a folder called git_test and went to that folder ( cd git_test ... another 'pwd' command will now show /home#/username/git_test )
    I typed git init
    and how if I type 'ls -al' I see the hidden folder: .git
    don't actually enter the .git folder. Stay in git_test and make a testfile:
    vi testfile
    (push i to get into text entry mode, add some random test, press "escape" to get out of text entry mode and then :wq (this means write and quit)

now type git add testfile
    type 'git status' for a listing of what could happen, and you'll seen an uncommitted file. From here we either commit or re-checkout the file
    git commit -m "This is when I added the testfile"

I'm going to refer you to the howto now. Hopefully I didn't get any of this incorrect since I'm going off my memory from about 10 minutes ago.
    I was following your instructions ... however when I do vi testfile I get

bash: vi: command not found

What does this mean?

Can I skip that step?

vuelveteloco,

vi is just a command for editing text files, you can use any text editor or your liking, or even the cPanel file manager to make a text file. vim might be the same thing as vi also.