Thread: Outlook Error: 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA

Default Outlook Error: 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA

I searched the forum here and looked at the Outlook forums and couldn't find an answer to this question. I am new at all of this and am trying to set up my bluehost email on my Outlook. I can recieve my email, so the incoming works fine. When I test the outgoing part, the email test message automatically sent from MS sends successfully. However, when I try to send an email I get this error message: 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA . I have another account setup in Outlook and that sends emails just fine. Can you please tell me what I need to change? Much appreciate it.

Chasing the Holy Grail - Pacific Northwest

Try changing your SMTP Port from 25 to 26

I cannot send email from Outlook 2003, receive is working.

This is an article from the Bluehost Help Desk
    In the Hyperion universe, a farcaster is an instantaneous transportation device.
    Experience: The thing you get just after you need it.

I made the change and got a dialogue box saying Outlook couldn't verify the bluehost certificate. I am using mail.theravenloon.com as my outgoing server address per the Bluehost directions. Now what?

Chasing the Holy Grail - Pacific Northwest

If it is truly from Bluehost (it could be one of the shared certs), and you want to trust it, then I would go ahead and accept the certificate and go on with business.
    In the Hyperion universe, a farcaster is an instantaneous transportation device.
    Experience: The thing you get just after you need it.

To resolve Outlook Error: 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA, you would have to identify the reason behind this if corruption is the reason of this error message then you would have to find the reason of corruption and if it is due to large size PST file then one would have to split PST file. After this entire problem will get resolved.
    So try this!!

http://www.splitpstfile.com

If you ever encounter this error then this means you must check your email before trying to send mail meaning that our mail server requires authentication, which can be achieved using one of these methods:

A) Pop before smtp -- check your email for new mail before trying to send email. This adds your IP address to a relayhosts file and allows any email to be sent from that IP address for up to 30 minutes. After 30 minutes you have to authenticate again.

B) Configure your email client to authenticate automatically by checking the "my server requires authentication" box in your email configuration. You will be able to send mail without having to "pop" your mail box first.

If using MS Outlook, please try the following:

1) Open outlook
    2) Go to Tools/Email Accounts
    3) Select the Account with the trouble and click Change
    4) Click on More Settings
    5) Click on Outgoing Server Tab
    6) Click "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) requires authentication" and make sure "Use same settings as incoming mail server" is selected (see attached image)
    7) Click on "Advanced Tab"
    8) Set outgoing Port (SMTP) to 26 (if your hosting account is Linux) or 587 if your hosting account is Windows.
    9) Click Ok and then Test Account Settings

If it fails on send then repeat starting from 7.

7) Click on Advanced Tab
    8) Set outgoing Port (SMTP) to 465 (See attached)
    9) Check the box Beside "The server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)".
    10 ) Click ok and then Test Account Settings