Thread: BackLinks? What is the trick?

Default BackLinks? What is the trick?

I just did a link search on Google, Bing and Yahoo

link:w3sitepro.com
    link:www.w3sitepro.com
    link:http://w3sitepro.com
    link:http://www.w3sitepro.com

and none of these turn up any links.

And I know I have links to the site all over the web.

Why aren't these being picked up?

Are the links that you have "nofollow" links?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
    Are the links that you have "nofollow" links?
    Hello Bob,

I'll look them over. My site is a bit strange and I don't want all my pages listed in search indexes. But NOINDEX takes care of that. NOFOLLOW would be the killer.

I think however, that these SEs are a bit slow on adding backlinks to new sites. I am also sub-domaining to a main domain.

w3sitepro.com is really w3sitepro.avenuesplus.com, but I can't believe that should matter.

Google shows the tiniest fraction of results with the link: operator... if any at all. Yahoo used to have a great SiteExplorer for that, but it has vanished since Bing took over. If you sign your site up for Bing webmasters tools, I hear you can get link info for your own site. Same goes for Google webmaster tools, but neither will help you when it comes to comparing with the competition.
    I'd say the 21st century is a good time to be a writer. :D
    Web Building Blog - College blog - Bluehost Review - Bluehost vs Dreamhost

Quote Originally Posted by Korr View Post
    Google shows the tiniest fraction of results with the link: operator... if any at all. Yahoo used to have a great SiteExplorer for that, but it has vanished since Bing took over. If you sign your site up for Bing webmasters tools, I hear you can get link info for your own site. Same goes for Google webmaster tools, but neither will help you when it comes to comparing with the competition.
    Just an update ....

Google and Bing are not showing my back-links. Yahoo is not. link: and links: work for Bing links: works for Google. link: shows nothing on Google.

Quote Originally Posted by BearState View Post
    Just an update ....

Google and Bing are not showing my back-links. Yahoo is not. link: and links: work for Bing links: works for Google. link: shows nothing on Google.
    Googl and Bing are NOW showing my back-links. [Correction]

Quote Originally Posted by BearState View Post
    Googl and Bing are NOW showing my back-links. [Correction]
    FYI: The Yahoo.com Links: command is no longer functional as Yahoo has farmed their service off to bing.com.

So SEO Analyzer tools to rate your site based on Yahoo Link counts will rate your site low, because they will always show zero back-links for Yahoo.

Some of these guys are behind the times with regard to the news which is now old news.

JTYLTK Just thought you'd like to know. That's a bit of textese that needed a translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander_john View Post
    Well i know links, but here you mention no follow?
    So can you explain your meaning?
    John,

Here's a meta tag:

<meta name="robots" content="nofollow" />

The tag is placed in an html, htm or php file and it is used to tell the robots and crawlers not to follow the links in the file that especially go to other html, htm and php files in the same site.

There are other ways to 'advise' robots of your intentions. You can use .htaccess to allow or disallow access.
    You can create a sitemap.xml file and tell the search engine robots which files should be of interest to them.
    You can also sign up for the free Google and Bing Webmaster tools and use those tools to specifically submit certain files for indexing. And even better, you can tell them to use certain querysting params and make multiple submissions with multiple different param sets. There is no guarantee that the search engines will index them all. Google is somewhat stingy and will index some, but not all. Bing appears to be open to indexing everything it is asked to. You need to make sure what you submit is legit.

There are a lot of other config practices you can do to get your site pages either visible or invisible. I can't list all that here as it is a digestible book in itself.

Getting quality backlinks to your site is the key to a successful online business. According me, Here are some of the most highly effective backlink building strategies for online businesses:

- Create a Blog
    - Directory Submission
    - Blog and Forum Comments
    - Use Social Media to Promote Your Business
    - Press Release Links