Thread: bluehost bad for large community forum site?

Default bluehost bad for large community forum site?

don't get me wrong, i think bluhost is great! but a friend of mine said that bluehost is great for website but bad for large community forum site that have 100+ user online at the same time. he said you'll get bandwidth exeeded message very offent if you have a large community forum site on bluehost.

i'm planning to make my message board bigger and bigger, and if there's limitation to how much user can be online at the same time and if what he said is true then that would suck... :(

is there any large message baord with over 100-200 users online at the same time that are hosted on bluehost right now? i'd like to see it to confirm if what he said is true...

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sai
    don't get me wrong, i think bluhost is great! but a friend of mine said that bluehost is great for website but bad for large community forum site that have 100+ user online at the same time. he said you'll get bandwidth exeeded message very offent if you have a large community forum site on bluehost.

i'm planning to make my message board bigger and bigger, and if there's limitation to how much user can be online at the same time and if what he said is true then that would suck... :(

is there any large message baord with over 100-200 users online at the same time that are hosted on bluehost right now? i'd like to see it to confirm if what he said is true...

thank you.
    I have a forum with up to 40-50 people online at the same time, including a chat too. Never had any trouble with CPU or badnwidth... I mean, bandwidth here is several hundred GBs! You can't excede that with 100 or 200 people using a forum at the same time...
    With my users I use about 15-20 GB a month at the most.

Apart from the recent downtime trouble, things work ok.

it's not a bandwidth problem..
    [BH offers us almost 1000GB traffic which you will NEVER eat up by any way or another]

instead,its a CPU usage limit problem,simply your plan is using high % of the CPU resources and hit the CPU limit and that's why you frequently receive that annoying message.. i HATE IT

solution:
    re-view your database and queries,perform some maintenance and optimize your tables

I have a couple of forums with over a 100 and there are no problems. I suspect your friend was referring to using phpBB unmodified. The forum script is fine but there are a few minor design flaws that make it problematic ... in particular searches use a large temp file. In any event, if you know what you are doing go over to phpBB and make the "Large Forum" modifications. If you do not know how to make modifications or are not interested then use the SMF board and you wont have any problems.

Incidentally you really shouldn't have any problems here until you reach ~600 members even without modifications and a lot of activity.

yes SMF forum software is great, infact extremely good, but that doesnt mean its goig to solve the low cpu allocation by hosting company. may be alittle, but it;s important what is your message board is going to be used primarly for and what mods are integrated , images, flash, etc. When someone says large potentially growing message board...i always say go dedicated virtual server (if u cant afford dedicated box) server is broken down only to few users and cpu is used only among you. BH offers some hi CPU usage version if the hosting its extra tho, forgot how much. browse forum. if that doesnt fit your needs then
    theres also alternatives to dedicated hosting like:
    1.) http://www.mediatemple.net/services/webhosting/dv/

2.) http://hostmysite.com/hosting/vps/linux/

to give you quick comparison emmm.. .
    1) is like Ferrari F-40; 2) like Ford Mustang Saleen.
    both good but different class.

thanks alot guys, im using vbulletin by the way and i don't plan on changing host anytime soon.

I'm running 3 forums, 4 galleries, and many others. vBulletin is perfect for what you need, I NEVER get CPU overload. I'm very happy with BlueHost and it doesn't seem as though I EVER get downtime. The BW of bluehost is high, so you should be fine. The CPU is a bit low, but vB is very optimised to this. :)

Yeah majority of cpu errors are because of not so effecient written php scripts and people that don't index there mysql databases. So there queries are constanly searching the entire database everytime. Do your do diligence and you won't have problems. You can get away with sloppy code and mysql databasees on a dedicated server. And you probably can on some shared hosting at first, but when and 100 other people all have sloppy code and non indexed mysql databases on the same server it starts to show.