Thread: Use MySql database from other (bluehost) site

Default Use MySql database from other (bluehost) site

Hi all,

There's probably a very simple answer to this question, but I'm not finding anything in my sql book or online (though may not be searching correctly....)

So, I wonder if anyone can offer guidance on how to do this?

I share membership with another related site, which is also bluehosted (through a separate account, however). Usernames and passwords (and some more info) need to be shared between the two sites, and members that sign up for the other site need to have access to mine right away as well.

So, my colleague (who runs the other site) and I are trying to figure out how I can simply refer my site to his main membership sql database for login information. Up until now, he has been passing the exported membership database to me from time to time, but that's not optimal.

Many thanks for any help,

Karl

Default Use MySql database from other (bluehost) site

I have a site on hostmonster that uses data from a database on my site on bluehost.
    In the database account cpanel set a "Remote MySQL" address to the IP address of the other account.
    for the host name I use the server name 'boxXXX.bluehost.com' where XXX is the number of the server.
    Use the user name and password for the database. It might be a good idea to create a new user with just the User Privileges needed.

Bill Hollenback

Thanks very much, Bill!

I think I can manage that.

One question about identify the correct IP address: I find an IP address ( and class C) when I open the Remote MySQL page... is this the correct address to give to my colleague (or does it just represent what my ISP is assigning *me* at the moment?).

The rest makes sense... and great point about setting up a separate username and password for that database.

Many, many thanks,

Karl

ack! Nevermind, I found all the info required on the cPanel!

Thanks again, Bill.

Karl

Since this thread is attracting a lot of spam responses, I'm closing it.

If you'd like to continue this discussion, please start a new thread and I'll link to that one from this thread.