Thread: Issue with Cache...

Default Issue with Cache...

I have a website that I run for business through BlueHost, but the problem is - whenever I update it, no one can see the updates I made, unless they hit the refresh button on the browser. That is all well and good for me, I don't mind hitting refresh, but I cannot very well go around telling every customer that will go to our site to hit refresh. This is expecially a drawback for the calendar page, where customers are not seeing updated events. What can I do to make the pages automatically update, without people having to hit refresh? Thank you in advance for your help.

I seem to recall that there's a .htaccess file setting or an HTTP meta tag to disable browser caching for a specific page. (Sorry, I don't recall the details.)

Hi Bob - thanks for your reply - I'm a very amateur web designer - I don't understand code, so if anyone has an answer for me, if you can please explain in lamen's terms, that would really help. Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
    I seem to recall that there's a .htaccess file setting or an HTTP meta tag to disable browser caching for a specific page. (Sorry, I don't recall the details.)

I found this code at this site: http://www.webmasterworld.com/apache/3540207.htm

In .htaccess:

Code:
    Header set Cache-Control: "no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0"
    Putting that line of code into the .htaccess file in your site's top-level directory will prevent caching of all pages on your site. (If you don't have a .htaccess file in your site's directory, you can copy this line into a new one using the File Manager "Edit Code" function.)

I'll see if I can find some way to disable caching for a specific page.

<added>
    I found an article at http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/re...-Cache-Huh.htm that provides a way to disable caching for a specific page by including some HTML code in the head portion of the page. It's a fairly long article but should be pretty easy to follow.
    Last edited by Bob Barr; 03-25-2012 at 04:44 PM.