Thread: Joomla import using Kickstart and a .jpa file?

Hybrid View

Default Joomla import using Kickstart and a .jpa file?

I'm new to Joomla and Bluehost and am looking for some advice. I've gotten Joomla 2.5 installed, along with the template I want to use.

I want to import a site that was developed as a test site on a different hosting service. I've exported a .jpa file from that site. Apparently I need to use
    a utility called Kickstart to extract and import that 40mb file. I put the kickstart.php in the www files via the cPanel, but can't figure out how to run it in a browser without
    getting 404 errors. Has anyone ever done this successfully on Bluehost or anywhere else?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Though I prefer directly working with phpmyadmin & sql files for backup & restore you can use the above method. you just need to point your browser to yourdomain.tld/kickstart.php . For complete details you may refer the tutorial here: https://www.akeebabackup.com/documen...kickstart.html (& probably the page before this). If you are already doing this & still getting 404 errors, please check if you have uploaded the php file in your root directory or not.

Default Just for info - Kickstart

I have successfully transferred Joomla sites from Fat Cow to BlueHost, and also reloaded/restored sites I had 'messed up' using Akeeba backups and Kickstart.

I'm an 'enthusiast' meaning I use php and MySQL about 8-10 times a year, so it was a slog, recreating tables, etc. but it does work.

Two of my sites had been stolen because of a leak in a piece of shareware I found on Joomla.org, I was very happy to have the back ups.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by trubright View Post
    I'm new to Joomla and Bluehost and am looking for some advice. I've gotten Joomla 2.5 installed, along with the template I want to use.

I want to import a site that was developed as a test site on a different hosting service. I've exported a .jpa file from that site. Apparently I need to use
    a utility called Kickstart to extract and import that 40mb file. I put the kickstart.php in the www files via the cPanel, but can't figure out how to run it in a browser without
    getting 404 errors. Has anyone ever done this successfully on Bluehost or anywhere else?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!