Thread: The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit

Exclamation The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit

While trying to send a 37MB email file via Thunderbird I just received the following error.

The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit (52428800 bytes) of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the message size and try again.
    First of all -
    https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/160

Second of all I have sent files much larger than this before so if this is a limit it must be new.

I called bluehost support and was told that there is a 10MB limit on email sizes. After explaining that I believe that was just a web client and not smtp server error but was the limit was re-iterated.

Is this a new limit? Is https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/160 just an outdated article? Was there an email notification of the new terms that I missed? Is there any documentation at all regarding this email size limit?

I opened a new ticket asking the same questions but if what the phone rep said is true I want to see some bluehostforum.com torches lit :mad:

Hopefully this is just a server configuration issue that will be resolved. I tested on 2 different computers so I do not believe this is a client issue (although I used Thunderbird for both. I have sent files larger than 37MB on thunderbird within the last year though so I do not believe this is a thunderbird issue).

I am a satisfied Bluehost customer for 6 years now. My satisfaction level with bluehost is 99% thus far with just one previous annoyance in the file count limit. I will reply with any response I get from the ticket (#JFP-39363-760).

First Response received

Hello Zane,
    Thank you for contacting support.

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you're having. The limit comes from the php.ini file, which controls the PHP settings on your account. To raise the maximum size of file uploads you'll need to adjust several settings: "upload_max_filesize", "post_max_size", "memory_limit", "max_input_time", & "max_execution_time".

Each has an influence on the size of a file that can be uploaded via PHP.

The "upload_max_filesize", "post_max_size", & "memory_limit" determines how large the file can be directly. Keep all of these at 64M or less.

"max_input_time" & "max_execution_time" have an impact because they determine how long the script can run, thus impacting size indirectly. Keep "max_execution_time" at 300 or less and "max_input_time" at 600 or less.

Of course "file_uploads" needs to be set to "On" for you be able to upload files via a PHP script.

By default php.ini files are not recursive (applying to all directories under it). Instead, the php.ini file has to be copied into each and every folder the script uses.

If you'd like to ensure the file is used recursively, please use the PHP Config tool to set your account to PHP5 (Single php.ini). This will ensure each call for the php.ini file uses the one found in the public_html directory.
    Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,
    Jeremy
    Level I Tech Support Engineer
    I replied with

This issue is with sending email via SMTP. This should have nothing to do with PHP.
    Jeremy replied with

Hello Zane,
    This is not a new limitation, but the standard email attachment limitation that has always been. If you need to send a file larder than 10 MB then you would use FTP to faciliatate that.

Thank you,
    Jeremy
    Level I Tech Support Engineer
    I replied with

This is not true. According to this bluehost help desk article:

https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/160

"When sending email attachments via webmail the attachment size is 10 MB.
    If you are using an email client (SMTP) to send emails containing attachments, there is no reasonable size limit. Incoming messages have no attachment size limit."

This article is 102 days old.

Where is this size limit documented?
    For the record over the last 5 years I have email records I have never tried to send a file larger than 20MB before. I usually use a tool like http://ge.tt to send large files. I have other users though that are not as technically awesome as I am and would prefer to have my facts straight when they run into issues.

Things are not adding up. If the limit is 10MB then I call BS because I have records of sending files over 20MB. If the file limit is 52 428 800 bytes = 50 megabytes than why am I unable to send a 37MB file? According to some responses in this forum thread there is likely some level of encoding that is bumping 37MB to 50. To be honest I would prefer bluehost clearly state the file limitations and publish it in a reference-able article online. I would prefer no file size limit but can understand the need for some limit. I think 50MB would be a good limit (with necessary calculations in place to make it so that an actual 50MB file would transfer but a 51MB file would fail.

I am very surprised that I am the first to discuss this on this forum.

Here is a copy of the current help article that I assume will be removed or updated once this issue is resolved.
    http://i.minus.com/1334637769/CR9Vqx...cDnKgzH5Uh.pdf

They have been including lots of limits since starting with the # of file limits. Now there is a database size and table limit. Folder limits..... BH seems to be all about the limits to protect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrocrzy View Post
    They have been including lots of limits since starting with the # of file limits. Now there is a database size and table limit. Folder limits..... BH seems to be all about the limits to protect themselves.
    I was not aware of the database size and table limits. I believe folder limits were included in the number of files. Do you know what these limits are?

It makes sense to have limits on the service offered to limit abuse but they should be stated clearly somewhere for easy reference. I see they added filecount data to cpanel. That is nice. SQL says infinity.

Ticket was closed. They do have a 50MB total email size limit on the server. I requested they update there article https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/160 which incorrectly states that there is no file size limit.

Unlimited Hosting Space; excessive MySQL files.Bluehost does not set arbitrary limits on the amount of disk space a Subscriber can use for the Subscriber's website, nor does Bluehost charge additional fees based on an increased amount of storage used, provided the Subscriber's use of storage complies with these Terms. Please note, however, that the Bluehost service is designed to host websites. Bluehost does NOT provide unlimited space for online storage, backups, or archiving of electronic files, documents, log files, etc., and any such prohibited use of the Services will result in the termination of Subscriber's account, with or without notice. Accounts with a large number of files (inode count in excess of 200,000) can have an adverse affect on server performance. Similarly, accounts with an excessive number of MySQL/PostgreSQL tables (i.e., in excess of 1000 database tables) or of database size (i.e., in excess of 3GB total MySQL/PostgreSQL usage or 2GB MySQL/PostgreSQL usage in a single database) negatively affect the performance of the server. Bluehost may request that the number of files/inodes, database tables, or total database usage be reduced to ensure proper performance or may terminate the Subscriber's account, with or without notice.