Thread: Ok I got the first page...how do I get the second page?

Default Ok I got the first page...how do I get the second page?

I got the first uploaded to the site. How do I get the second page uploaded?
    I tried dragging it over to the public html folder but it doesn't show up.

What method are you using to upload your pages? An FTP client? The cPanel File manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
    What method are you using to upload your pages? An FTP client? The cPanel File manager?
    FTP client. Filezilla to be more specific. Should I use the file manager instead?

I have it so that when I go to my home page www.example.com (not my website) it does now show up.

But how would I get it so that if I type www.example.com/thispage (again not my site) it goes there?

Right now when I try moving that second page to the public_html folder it doesn't and instead it's in some temp folder.

BTW I'm making the website in notepad using very basic html. It works just fine on my computer (like the stuff links to each other and what not) but it's just a matter of getting to work online. I dunno if there's something else I need to though.
    But I really rather not use something like wordpress because I just don't feel like going through all that downloading.

Filezilla should upload files to whichever folder is currently selceted on the server. If you're happy with Filezilla (and a lot of people are), there's no need to consider using File Manager.

To get "thispage" to load in a browser, it needs an ".html" file extension. Once it's in your public_html folder, typing in your full domain name, a slash, and then the file name should display it in your browser.

Two other points:

Linux is case sensitive; Windows isn't. If the file name or folder capitalization differs between the file or folder name and the reference to it, Linux won't find the file. Under the same conditions, Windows on your local machine would work just fine.

Wordpress can be installed very easily using the cPanel "Simple Scripts" icon. It doesn't involve a great deal of downloading to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
    Filezilla should upload files to whichever folder is currently selceted on the server. If you're happy with Filezilla (and a lot of people are), there's no need to consider using File Manager.

To get "thispage" to load in a browser, it needs an ".html" file extension. Once it's in your public_html folder, typing in your full domain name, a slash, and then the file name should display it in your browser.

Two other points:

Linux is case sensitive; Windows isn't. If the file name or folder capitalization differs between the file or folder name and the reference to it, Linux won't find the file. Under the same conditions, Windows on your local machine would work just fine.

Wordpress can be installed very easily using the cPanel "Simple Scripts" icon. It doesn't involve a great deal of downloading to install it.

Ok. I think I got it working now.
    Thanks for the help. :)

That's ok. I rather just use notepad. I want to learn html anyways and I feel this is the simplest
    way to learn it. Not saying it will be easy. But I think it's better to start from scratch.\
    Though maybe later I'll use wordpress.