Create contacts-only account for Android on website?
This one is hard to distill down to a title, but here is what I want to do, if it is at all possible:
I maintain a website for an extended family group, where we maintain a database of current contact information (names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, etc). Each family member has their own distinct login username and password. As nice as the website is, the contact information would be a lot more useful if we could extend it to smartphones like Android or iPhone so the contact info is readily available.
What I would like to do is:
* Create a way to add an "account" to their phone that would add the family contacts to their phone contacts.
* No e-mail account creation, unless absolutely necessary. And if necessary, the accounts would need to be created programatically as new family members register for the website.
* Contacts would preferably be read-only, or at least not sync changes back to the website. (I want all contact editing to be done on the website directly)
* Have it periodically sync and update changed contact info from the website.
* Contacts are currently stored in a MySQL database.
Is this even remotely possible with the tools that BlueHost provides?
You will need to create web services that will communicate with your phone and site. You can use SOAP or REST services. Hope this helps.
You will need to build an Android app for it.. Also code your website in XHTML which follows strict compliance standards and helps viewing your websites in mobile better as compared to normal HTML
Last edited by Bob Barr; 09-02-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Reason: Signature link removed. Please use the forum signature feature when you've made a sufficient number of posts.