Thread: WordPress Categories not appearing!

Exclamation WordPress Categories not appearing!

Hopefully there is a simple answer to this question:

I have a category that is not showing up in my categories list on WordPress even though I have more than 50 items saved under there. In my code, I have made the request as such:

Code:
      <li id="categories"><?php _e('Categories:'); ?>
    	<ul>
    	<?php wp_list_cats('optionall=1&sort_column=name&sort_order=asc'); ?>
    	</ul>
      </li>
    which is essentially the default request. I also tried using the list_cats request with similar results.

I will add that the entries in that category do appear in the blog. In fact, it tells me that it is filed under that category name and will pull up just that category for display.

Well, I'm stumped - any thoughts? :confused:
    redsox9 - Go Red Sox!!! 2004 and 2007 World Series Champions!
    Visit FenwayFanatics.com, home to Boston Red Sox baseball fans everywhere... now on Facebook and Twitter!

There could be a number of reasons.
    The first one I can think of, is the file you are typing this into.. are you sure it's included into the main file?
    ex.
    Code:
    <?php get_sidebar(); ?>
    Also.. upon reading through the WP codex (to check your syntax) I came across this..

optionall
    (boolean) Sets whether to display a link to all Categories. Note: This feature no longer works in WordPress 1.5.x and 2.0 but is slated to be added back at Version 2.1.
    Next question is.. What version of WP are you using?
    My guess is, as of the current WP version 2.0.2 - they haven't added that functionality back in yet.

If you're still having difficulty.. try using it with no arguments to see if that works.

Code:
    <?php wp_list_cats(); ?>
    Last edited by ranchnachos; 03-14-2006 at 07:27 AM.

Exclamation Let me clarify...

Hi, ranchonachos:

(Your usedID makes me hungry - when's lunch?)

Your suggestions are sound and, yes, I did note that the WordPress 1.5 and 2.0 versions have issues with this and with the list_cats function.

However, I think that I need to be more clear.

The problem is that I have five categories that currently have entries, but only four of those categories appear on the list in the sidebar, which has been properly requested. One, for some reason, is missing. It's rather puzzling, to say the least.

One possibility may be that I was mucking with the sql data and maybe I screwed something up when I uploaded the file. But then, why do the category appear with the respective entires?

Baffled is the only word that comes to mind. :confused:
    Visit FenwayFanatics.com, home to Boston Red Sox baseball fans everywhere... now on Facebook and Twitter!

Thumbs up Resolved

Well, I thought that I had already posted this response...

I ended up finding a "solution." I posted a "dummy" entry under that category and then just deleted the post. Ta-da! The category appeared in my sidebar menu...:)

I don't know how I screwed that up but now that it's not an issue... my guess is that because I uploaded the information from a CSV file that I somehow confused WordPress. ???

At any rate... case closed! :rolleyes: