Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e-mail quota exceeded

Unhappy e-mail quota exceeded

HI!
    I hope someone can help me.
    I keep getting notices that my e-mail quota had exceeded and I go into the control panel and it shows I am using 40 mg, but when I check in Horde (or download everything from outlook) my account is empty, no messages waiting to be downloaded and still it shows I am using 40 mg of space.

I've tried the support by mail and they don't seem to read past the first sentence and copy/paste something totally unrelated as an answer, not to mention they take their sweet time not to answer.
    To call for me means overseas long distance.

Is this happiening to anyone else? Can anyone help me?

are you trying to send out more than 50 per hour? bluehost as a limit of 50 emails an hour.
    Unlimited Storage, Unlimited Transfer, Host Unlimited domain names, 1 Free Domain Name
    BlueHost Features | BlueHost Help Desk | Become a BlueHost Affiliate | BlueHost CEO Blog
    (888) 401-4678 | Create a support ticket

In Horde, are you supressing the view of 'deleted' items? They might be there, but you cannot see them.

Hi Dot,

I am having the same problem. Although my email client is configured to delete emails after they are downloaded from the server, the control panel shows that I am using 7 MB of disk space for the account.
    There are no new emails waiting to be downloaded.

This would make sense if I was leaving the email on the server and using webmail. But I am downloading everything.

I too went in Horde to see if there were some emails to delete. However, there is nothing visible.
    The only time I see messages in Horde is if I haven't downloaded them yet with my email client. They disappear from Horde when they are downloaded.

If they are being kept somewhere, where is it, and how do I delete them?

I'll let you know if I figure this out.

:) North

Quote Originally Posted by mrschwarz
    In Horde, are you supressing the view of 'deleted' items? They might be there, but you cannot see them.
    Good question mrschwarz. I found the "Hide/Show Deleted" control in Horde (right under where it shows "1 to 1 of 1 Messages").
    I toggled it a few times and there definitely aren't any hidden messages in the in box or other folders.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    North

I never ran into an issue of being told my email box was over-limit. But after the mysterious email change when neomail disappeared, I did notice that even when the box was empty, cpanel told me there was X.XXM. So I went into my mail directory (/home/account/mail/...) and then continued drilling down until I got to the email account I was looking for. In that directory is a file called maildirsize. After taking a look at it, I decided to delete the file, making sure I had all my email saved before attempting. After deleting the file I went back to cpanel and my box was back to zero. Since removing, email has worked fine for both POP & IMAP accounts with no messages lost. I haven't had to remove them again but have noticed that even when there's no mail for that address cpanel still shows a small amount. So if you're the adventurous type I'd say save all your email and then remove the maildirsize file and see if that solves your problem.

Thanks, Alf. I had the same problem with two of my accounts. I had several MB of size even though I download my messages via Outlook and removed them from the server. I also went in and checked all the folders including deleted items as suggested and still had several MB is use. I deleted maildirsize and now they look like the other account when empty.

Glad that it worked for you. As I've looked at it more, the problem appears to be more so with POP accounts than IMAP. I have an account set up as POP and I've noticed that its size is growing even though mail is being deleted. This account is set up through Outlook to remove emails from the server once they are over 15 days. When viewed with IMAP the usages says 25MB which is probably correct yet cpanel shows it at 43MB. Looks like I'll be deleting the maildirsize file again for that account. The account I use only as IMAP is showing the correct size in cpanel.

You might want to set up a Trash folder instead. This will help in keeping track of deleted emails. (There is/was a bug in Horde that I saw on a horde-related forum about deletions without a trash folder)

Go to Options and then click on 'Deleting and Moving Messages' option.

Here you should mark the box:

'When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder instead of marking them as deleted?
    Trash folder:'

then write TRASH or whatever you want to name it in there.

then mark the 'Display the 'Empty Trash' link in the menubar' option.

Click on 'Save Options'
    Last edited by dcblana; 01-09-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf
    So if you're the adventurous type I'd say save all your email and then remove the maildirsize file and see if that solves your problem.
    I am considering being adventurous, but can someone tell me what would happen if that file was deleted whilst emails where still there ?
    regards
    ABCDiamond
    http://www.britzinoz.com