Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phpMyAdmin - No Privileges

Default phpMyAdmin - No Privileges

I am logged into Control Panel under my main Bluehost user account. I run phpMyAdmin to set up a new mySQL database. But it won't let me create a database. It says "No Privileges". What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

don't create it through phpmyadmin. create it through the screen that offers you to go to phpmyadmin.

OK, I see. Thanks, nine!

Dbusau Guest

Default PhpAdmin - No Priveleges

I am seriously pulling my hair out...I have tried to import backup in every format possible, the only thing I think of is it says "no Privileges " on the front page of phpadmin and this is preventing anything from happening.

After re-setting up the database, applying user, logging out, logging in I am still getting that darn "no priveleges" any ideas please?

I am seriously pulling my hair out...I have tried to import backup in every format possible, the only thing I think of is it says "no Privileges " on the front page of phpadmin and this is preventing anything from happening.

After re-setting up the database, applying user, logging out, logging in I am still getting that darn "no priveleges" any ideas please?
    Hi Dbusau,

You are getting the no privledges line in phpmyadmin because bluehost won't allow you to make databases through phpmyadmin. This is (AFAIK) because multiple people use the same mysql server and as such they need to prepend your username to the database name to avoid any conflicting database names from different users.

As for importing SQL data, have you tried selecting the database you want to import into (in phpmyadmin, if the database doesnt exist you need to go back to your Cpanel and create it there (where you get the phpmyadmin link)), clicking SQL, and using the "location of text file" option to browse to the sql file you want to import.

Dbusau Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zonteck
    Hi Dbusau,
    As for importing SQL data, have you tried selecting the database you want to import into (in phpmyadmin, if the database doesnt exist you need to go back to your Cpanel and create it there (where you get the phpmyadmin link)), clicking SQL, and using the "location of text file" option to browse to the sql file you want to import.
    Well it's a new day, my tickets weren't answered overnight *sigh*.

Thanks for your answer zontech.

The procedure I used to create db & inport was as follows, obviously not the correct way with bluehost, could somebody advise please?
    login to cpanel>Msql>create db>add user>go to phpMyadmin at bottom of page>click on db>click on sql>import

You are getting the no privledges line in phpmyadmin because bluehost won't allow you to make databases through phpmyadmin. This is (AFAIK) because multiple people use the same mysql server and as such they need to prepend your username to the database name to avoid any conflicting database names from different users.
    So how do you enable privileges? My old server was shared too so same procedure as far as I can figure... prepending db with name you mean 'dixie9_wbst1' and user 'dixie9_dumb' or similar? It's already set up that way is this not correct?

to create a mysql database, you go to your cpanel, then mysql databases (or whatever the icon says). from that screen you create a database, say "test", and it will automatically rename it to "dixie9_test".

if you have a backup .sql file, with the tables in it, you can open that file in notepad or whatever, and copy all the stuff that's in there. then you can execute that mysql code in that db that you just created, by pasting the code to mysql code execution window.

is that what the problem is - you can't get your backup setup?

Dbusau Guest

thanks nine, didn't realise you could copy & paste, I am trying once more to import so if that fails I may try your method..(not that I have a clue how)

It occured to me that zontech might be trying to tell me that you don't need privileges at all? If that's the case then it must be something I am doing or not after all..

Q. does it normally take hours+(3-4) to upload a db of about 20-25mb?

ok I actually got an error message this time, does anybody know how I can change it please?
    Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/read_dump.lib.php on line 91
    Last edited by Dbusau; 05-01-2006 at 04:30 PM.

it depends on your internet connection, i am guessing you are on a modem if it takes you hours to upload ~20MB. as far as the error goes, it has to do with the time it takes for you to upload your db info:

normally you would set max_execution_time to more than 300 seconds in php.ini, but since this is a 3rd party app (phpMyAdmin) I would try to import the code manually (copy & paste). if you have more than 20MB, might be pretty messy, but anyway... check out these forums, maybe you'll find a better way:

http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=26407
    http://ravenphpscripts.com/postt4450.html
    http://www.directadmin.com/forum/sho...?threadid=7797

Default phpMyAdmin - No Privileges

That leaves just one issue: adding a db using BlueHost's tool means I cant use the collation i want...how do i get around that?