Page Update Delays
I have five machines on a standard 100 Mbit LAN. To verify BH had received correct/updated files in public_html a few days ago, I downloaded them back to one of my machines just now and verified all pages displayed the updated material correctly.
I then went to a machine that had never accessed the BlueHost site. Guess What! None of the corrections/updates showed up, only the old pages.
Question - Why does it sometimes take days for even simple updates to appear to the public. I do all changes/updates via FTP and via both Windows & Linux. I really need things to update faster. There appears to be a cache or something between the public_html folder and the public. BH keeps saying it's only a link. It appears to be a mighty slooooow link.
Any insights much appreciated -
Try control-F5 on one of your problem pages. It should clear any network cache that my be in the route to your server.
I also have same problem. 3 days before i made some updates and it took 18 hours to got updated. And today when I checked, surprisingly i am getting old pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by paonia-dude
Ohhh...I have seen this before.
It has nothing to do with Bluehost.
Once I was working for a business running a server, and machines running Windows software. I would make changes on my laptop with a wireless connection (I am not on their local intranet) and the office could not see my changes no matter what we did. Finally I narrowed it down to their local server and Windows software.
It appeared to unique to a Windows 2003 server, and clients running Windows 2000 operating system with IE 6.
Never seen this problem on my end. Here is how my IE is configured on all my machines.
Internet Properties > General > Settings
Check for newer version of pages every time I visit the webpage
Discache 12 MB
Since the updates are on your server, it will look and only display new version of the page if it was updated. Cache is small also, so files will be delete often, and it will have no choice but to download those pages.
I still have to experience this problem. If you really annoyed get Firefox and see what happens. But beware, that thing does not install right on windows and once you install it there is no way to 100% get rid of it.
Despite IE configuration, this problem can occur if the user is accessing the web through a proxy server, since that proxy server may be caching pages. Also, some ISPs provide their users with various types of "web accelerator" software, which can do the same thing.
Originally Posted by agcssautomotive.com