Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't save image help...

Default can't save image help...

how do i make it so that my viewer can't save my image?

i can do the no right click thing but then i would have to make an html page for each picture... so is there an easier way?

even with the no right click code, on internet explorer, just hover the mouse over the picture and you have the option to save...(4 little icon, save, print etc...)

is there anyway to block that also? what is the easiest way to do this?
    Last edited by Sai; 04-19-2006 at 02:10 AM.

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

There are lots of tricks out there to prevent a lazy user from saving your images, but ultimately, they're all easily defeated. Remember, if the user can view your image, his browser must, by definition, have full access to that image, so there's always a way for the user to save a copy of it. Someone who's determined to grab a copy can't be stopped. If nothing else, it exists as a temp file in the browser's cache, and the user can hunt it down before clearing the cache.

That's why a lot of folks put copyright watermarks over their images. It's also why some people who post their images use the smallest, lowest-resolution version of their images that still look OK on most monitors, while holding back the high-res versions, providing them only to those who are willing to pay for them.

What I would do is turn off the indexing for the folder and turn on the hotlink protection in cPanel, and then use this javascript code to prevent users from right-clicking and saving the image.

Place this code between your <HEAD></HEAD> tags

Code:
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin
    function right(e) {
    var msg = "Sorry, you don't have permission to right-click.";
    if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' && e.which == 3) {
    alert(msg);
    return false;
    }
    if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' && event.button==2) {
    alert(msg);
    return false;
    }
    else return true;
    }

function trap() 
      {
      if(document.images)
        {
        for(i=0;i<document.images.length;i++)
          {
          document.images[i].onmousedown = right;
          document.images[i].onmouseup = right;
          }
        }
      }
    // End -->
    </SCRIPT>
    Then to load the script use this <BODY> tag

Code:
    <BODY onLoad="trap()">
    As Early Out said, there is really no way to absolutely keep users from stealing you images and work. If it's on the web, then it has to accessible to view.

But using this will hopefully deter people from trying to steal your work.

As for what you said about the IE mouse hover, that only applies when viewing the image itself. When an image is within a page, it won't do that.

Try that code (if you don't already have some other code), turn off your indexing and turn on hotlink protection
    Last edited by areidmtm; 04-19-2006 at 08:40 AM.

even with all that there's still the printscreen key... so anyways is there anything to put my logo on all my pictures at once? going on all 200 photos one by one to place a text/logo in photoshop is troublesome...

is there anything that can do this automatically? or in a batch or something?

I use IrfanView. It's Free. Or if you use photoshop, you can setup a script that will do it for you.

http://www.irfanview.com/

what script? can irfanview put my logo on all my photos all at once? automatically that is?

Quote Originally Posted by areidmtm
    As for what you said about the IE mouse hover, that only applies when viewing the image itself. When an image is within a page, it won't do that.
    actually i put my image on a page and that thing still appear when you hover it over...

Actually, now thinking about it, it may not be able to do that. I use it for batch renaming and resizing.

Read http://photoshop911.typepad.com/help...arking_ph.html to learn how to create a watermark script. Or search google for "watermark in Photoshop" or somthing to that effect

Quote Originally Posted by Sai
    actually i put my image on a page and that thing still appear when you hover it over...
    Thats weird. When I'm using IE, it doesn't do that. Only when viewing the image itself
    Last edited by areidmtm; 04-19-2006 at 01:51 PM.