Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlueHost blacklisted by att.net?

Default BlueHost blacklisted by att.net?

Is anyone else seeing BlueHost blacklisted by att.net? My emails there only have been bouncing back for several days now with this message:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at outbound-mail-39.bluehost.com.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[username omitted here]@att.net>:
    Connected to 12.102.252.75 but sender was rejected.
    Remote host said: 550-69.89.21.16 blocked by ldap:ou=rblmx,dc=worldnet,dc=att,dc=net
    550 Blocked for abuse. See http://www.att.net/general-info/rblinquiry.html"

--- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

The first ticket I opened on this disappeared from the tracking system after a few hours, for what it's worth. I just opened another.

Thanks.
    Last edited by DavidRodeback; 03-05-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: should not have included an e-mail address

not aware, but these things happen quite often i believe just due to the nature of email activity going on. I assume bluehost spam team needs to contact att to get the ip unlisted

Early Out is offline Former Moderator, Still Respected

I've seen the same block message from att.net. These problems crop up when folks have their incoming BH email forwarded to their ISP email address. The email gets forwarded, spam and all. The ISP sees the incoming spam, and it appears to be coming from the BH mail servers, so the BH servers get blacklisted.

This would stop happening if BH customers simply set up their email client programs to fetch their email directly from BH, instead of having it forwarded to another account.

Yes, I'm seeing that, too. Is there anything we (or BlueHost) can do now that the block is active?

Quote Originally Posted by Early Out View Post
    These problems crop up when folks have their incoming BH email forwarded to their ISP email address.
    Not in my case. When my online order entry system sends a confirmation email to the customer's email address I sometimes get a rejection notice (from att.net and other ISPs). Just today, I got a rejection from a company's email server (don't know where it is hosted) indicating that BlueHost is a spam source. I opened a ticket on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dkinzer View Post
    Not in my case.
    Those people who have their emails redirected have got Bluehost added to the spammer list. You are just seeing the result of their action. One of the problems with shared hosting is that when one person on the shared hosting does the wrong thing then everyone else on the same hosting shares the penalty.

This is also a case where the ISPs have configured things incorrectly and are blaming the wrong site for sending the spam because they don't examine the headers properly to figure out where the email originally came from.

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    One of the problems with shared hosting is that when one person on the shared hosting does the wrong thing then everyone else on the same hosting shares the penalty.
    Exactly, and it's especially nasty because of the way BH has its mail servers set up. If you look at headers, you discover that each box doesn't have its own outbound mail server. Mail you send can go out through any one of a number of shared mail servers. So, the people who are having their email forwarded, spam included, don't even have to be on the same box you're on for you to feel the effects of it.

You're also right about ISPs not examining the headers. They take the path of least resistance (and least processing power) - messages delivered by IP address X include a lot of spam messages, therefore, we will refuse connections from IP address X. That's as far as the inquiry goes.
    Last edited by Early Out; 03-05-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRodeback View Post
    Is anyone else seeing BlueHost blacklisted by att.net? My emails there only have been bouncing back for several days now with this message:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at outbound-mail-39.bluehost.com.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[username omitted here]@att.net>:
    Connected to 12.102.252.75 but sender was rejected.
    Remote host said: 550-69.89.21.16 blocked by ldap:ou=rblmx,dc=worldnet,dc=att,dc=net
    550 Blocked for abuse. See http://www.att.net/general-info/rblinquiry.html"

--- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

The first ticket I opened on this disappeared from the tracking system after a few hours, for what it's worth. I just opened another.

Thanks.
    yes I have gotten it for a few weeks now.

I thought the person blocked it but now it makes sense

Mitch

seem like someone in bluehost sent out spam like email, and get reported to att

erm.. i not using bluehost email this moment, but quit concern about spam issue. :(
    Charles Gan
    www.bluehostreview.org : Bluehost reviews hosted at bluehost:cool:

Quote Originally Posted by charlesgan View Post
    seem like someone in bluehost sent out spam like email, and get reported to att
    No, that's not how this problem occurs. BH's anti-spam measures are very effective - it's pretty tough to send out mass emails from BH, especially at the levels that a spammer would need.

Instead, the problem occurs when someone has their incoming BH email forwarded to their att.net account. The BH account is receiving a lot of spam. That all gets forwarded to att.net. So, att.net thinks that the spam is originating from BH, when it actually isn't.